Alaska shutdown jobs?????????
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Alaska shutdown jobs?????????

I'm a out of work Boilermaker and I overheard there was a 6 month shutdown at a Alaskan refinery starting within the next two months. What was hard to believe is that it paid $64 an hour and work was 7 12s. Work 4 weeks and fly home for 7 days. Is there really this kind of shutdown work out there? Or should I say up there. Or is this crap.

Thanks
    Vinny

Re: Alaska shutdown jobs?????????

I was woundering if you could get me some info on that job. I think it sounds great.
    Thanks, Miller

Well I was just wondering if this sounded legit. I can't find any info myself.

As a Canadian welder I would say that its not as good as it sounds. I have buddies in the boilermakers, and pipefitters unions and they make that kind of money. Up here the unions pay very well. The catch is that these are camp jobs, not so bad cause they go in for 2 weeks or so and then out a week. But you earn that money by working 14 hr days. So they dont start making that until its double time. Which is around 80 bucks an hour. But its very hard to get in with the union as there are I think 3000 member or so out of the pipefitters hall. All that being said, it may be possible to get that rate but you better know how to burn a rod. Some of the welders that work at these places are pretty amazing at what they do. I only know the codes and standards that we work from, but they are very strict for the oil and gas industry.

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm a hobbyist but keep seeing people ask about shutdowns. What is a shutdown? Is it a plant or company that is closing? Just curious.
    Mike Accardi
    Henderson, NV
    maccardi@michaelaccardi.com

Miller 250X
    Lincoln Weldpack HD
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD

A 'shutdown' is a time of scheduled maintenance for a facility that normally runs 24/7. They literally shutdown everything at the facility. Usually a time for working on utilities or doing dangerous work where the normal staff can't be around. The duration of a shutdown is fixed, because it represents time when the facility makes no money and spends money like water.

All the work has to be complete before the end of a shutdown. So the work crews stay on the job as long as it takes. Big opportunities to make lots of money working insane amounts of overtime. Depending on the company and the contractors, sometimes everything goes smoothly. But usually something gets F'd up, and so there's people working round the clock to make up for the mistakes. As a result, lots of overtime, and more risk of getting hurt....

Quote Originally Posted by accardmi View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance. I'm a hobbyist but keep seeing people ask about shutdowns. What is a shutdown? Is it a plant or company that is closing? Just curious.
    Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com

I just worked a paper mill shutdown. 4k in 8 days. Dirty, nasty place though.
    UA Local 598

A_DAB_will_do, thank you for your response. I seem to always learn something new on these forums.
    Mike Accardi
    Henderson, NV
    maccardi@michaelaccardi.com

Miller 250X
    Lincoln Weldpack HD
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny1 View Post
    I'm a out of work Boilermaker and I overheard there was a 6 month shutdown at a Alaskan refinery starting within the next two months. What was hard to believe is that it paid $64 an hour and work was 7 12s. Work 4 weeks and fly home for 7 days. Is there really this kind of shutdown work out there? Or should I say up there. Or is this crap.

Thanks
    Vinny
    while I do NOT know anything about Alaska, I DO KNOW that there are other jobs around that pay very well. You may want to look at T.I.C. (acronym for "The Industial Company") and give them your current resume. Before I went overseas as a contractor for uncle sam, I worked for them building co-gen plants in California, specifically in Trona, Ca. The pay was great, good benefits, and per deim that was even better. However...they will keep you hopping around the country! We spent 2 years building the A.C.E. co-gen then went right off to Nevada to work on a hydro for 4 months then off again! TIC does work all over the country and if your ready and able to run with group of guys that are your typical weld bunch, you'll have a great time. But remember these guys are your everyday beer drinking, cussing sorts like me! I was making 26/hr with paid expenses using their equipment. So I had it pretty good. Plus they will even help train or re-certify for specific job requirements too. They are still based out of Steamboat Springs, Co. and you can find them on the internet. Hope all goes well,Bill

Husband just went up on alaska pipewelding job. pipewelders get the flight paid for. all other welders do not. also they pay for motel. but not food. you'll have to pay for your luggage fee about 200 bucks they don't take cash so have a card. 160 on first flight then 75 on second flight leaving anchorage going up to deadhorse. man camp is clean but old. food is good. prime rib, lobster etc... they xray all welds came up with one guy he's gone fired have to pass xray. work 6 wks 2 wks off 12 hours a day. time and half not double. but if you work a holiday you get double. insurance after one month. 245 a month for you and spouse they take it out once a month. not weekly. it's more if you have children.
    it's a very slow pace. pipe fitters are slow and take their time. more info when I get it.
    JJ

I recently received my certification and ready to go out on the road. I would like to find some shutdown jobs, anyone know how I can find out about jobs getting ready to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny1 View Post

Thanks
    Vinny

these jobs have gone in the past. I dont know specifically if there is anything looming right now. Its going to be tough to get into with so many qualified tradesmen looking for work. The man camp doesnt sound like very much fun, I turned down an opportunity 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hgarrett View Post
    I recently received my certification and ready to go out on the road. I would like to find some shutdown jobs, anyone know how I can find out about jobs getting ready to start?
    If you feel like heading south,check out G.I.S (Grand Isle Shipyard) thier out of Grand Isle Louisiana.You can check out thier website,thier always hiring pipe welders for off shore and in shore at thier fab yard. Good Luck

Any idea of how much a starting offshore welder makes, or what kinda schedule they work?