PRECISION 225 vs. syncrowave 200
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PRECISION 225 vs. syncrowave 200

I am looking at buying a new tig welder. I used the 225 over the weekend and liked it. I have never tried or even looked at the 200 from miller before. I was wondering which welder would be a better welder. They look to be similar in specs. I am looking to do aluminum and sheet metal. I don't expect to do real thick metal. I don't think I need a water cooled torch, since I want be welding for long periods of time. I am not ruling out a water cooled one though. Which one would have a better resale value, or are they about the same. Thanks for any information.

Re: PRECISION 225 vs. syncrowave 200

Don't over think it.

they are both the same

You only get a different flavor by going Inverter-- Blue or Red
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Im going to be in the market for a tig welder here shortly. I weld regularly at work but never tig or aluminium, but want to be able to do projects for myself and friends. I'm leaning towards an inverter type for the portability and less power required. Also would like to stay with one of the bigger manufacturer's for service reasons. Currently looking into Thermal Arc Arcmaster 200 and 300, and the miller dynasty series.
    2011 Dodge 3500 diesel dually
    Lincoln SA-200
    Lincoln SAE-300
    LN-25's
    Lincoln Idealarc R3R
    Miller Trailblazer 302

Which one would you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by mark123 View Post
    I used the 225 over the weekend and liked it.

Red is a good color
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Whats wrong with blue? Does miller have a better resale value than lincoln?

Whats wrong with blue? Does miller have a better resale value than lincoln?
    Nothing.

Both these machines are in the same class and will hold their resale value.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I am looking at buying a new tig welder.

>>>snip<<<

Which one would have a better resale value,

I'd be looking at the availability of local support for the units under consideration.
    I would also be scouring Craig's List for suitable used units, you're liable to save some semi-serious $$ over new, possibly getting a bottle of gas and other goodies included as well.

As to resale...you are investing in a tool, not buying a car.

Rex

both are nice units. I have used the PT 225, and I really liked it....ALOT. So much so that I bought a Lincoln Invertec V205T AC/DC without ever trying it. I wanted an inverter and the lincoln rep was great. Great support, lots of "freebies", killer price, and lincoln supports the local college welding students!!! Miller has a much better marketing department and Miller has focussed on getting their name and product out their better than Lincoln. As such, you will find alot more people "into Miller," but Lincoln is just as respected (especially if you talk to pipeline guys!)

We have a bunch of lincoln tig units at the shop, including a 225. I hate those things, the layout of the controls doesnt seem logical to me and they are constantly break down. I have yet to see any of the millers go down. And they dont have lift-arc, which is a deal breaker for me.

I dont buy into the whole red vs. blue debate, but as far as TIG units go millers have proven themselves to be of a higher quality to me time and time again.

That being said, those same Lincoln units make good stick welders.
    Have we all gone mad?

Quote Originally Posted by sn0border88 View Post
    We have a bunch of lincoln tig units at the shop, including a 225. I hate those things, the layout of the controls doesnt seem logical to me and they are constantly break down. I have yet to see any of the millers go down. And they dont have lift-arc, which is a deal breaker for me.

I dont buy into the whole red vs. blue debate, but as far as TIG units go millers have proven themselves to be of a higher quality to me time and time again.

That being said, those same Lincoln units make good stick welders.
    You guys have a bunch of tig units at the shop? Must be just for looks. The layout of the controls doesnt seem logical?

http://www.4x4blog.com/wp-content/up...on-tig-225.jpg

I stopped by Airgas the other day. I saw the syncrowave 200s on sale, while supplies last. The man at the counter said now more 200's are being made. Anybody else hear this?
    Miller Syncrowave 200

I really don't have a favorite color. I own 6 welders, some blue, some red. I just compare Millers version, and Lincoln version, and buy which one is the best. On the Smaller tigs (200 amp transformer size) I like the Lincoln Pt225 the best, compared to the Syncowave 200. I think Lincolns is better on this one. So what makes it better? Fist the foot control. The miller one is too tall, and puts my foot in an awkward position and makes my leg hurt after a few hours of use. The Lincoln one felt good. The polarity switch is better. The one on the Miller is not bad at first, but give it 5-10 years and the switch will feel loose on the Miller (experienced it on the Sycn 250 that I have used). The HF start. WOW! this is a huge difference. The HF start on the Lincoln is VERY smooth. Not so much compared to the Miller. Dont get me wrong, the Miller HF works fine, but the HF start on the Lincoln is night and day difference that I can tell. No the Lincoln does not have lift start, only HF start, but this has never bothered me. Miller HF burns through the thin stuff in a flash (no pun intended), so they had to come up with three different setting for their HF start. Next the PT225 Has more amp output. Which this is need on Aluminum.
    If I were going to get an inverter TIG, or a larger one like the 250amps class machine, I like the Millers better for that size of machine. I think Lincoln makes better smaller machines, and Miller makes the better bigger machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sn0border88 View Post
    I hate those things, the layout of the controls doesnt seem logical to me and they are constantly break down.
    the controls on the PT225 are so simple. you have an output knob, an ac balance knob, a pulse frequency knob, and a post flow knob. How much simpler do you need it?

is that hot start on the miller worth anything of is just an waste of a extra feature?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWelder View Post
    You guys have a bunch of tig units at the shop? Must be just for looks. The layout of the controls doesnt seem logical?

http://www.4x4blog.com/wp-content/up...on-tig-225.jpg
    Thats different than the machine I had in mind, Ill have to look and see what exactly it is. And the "shop" is part of a school, 20+ TIG units.

Hey, I didnt say you guys had to agree. I dont like them for TIG, ive seen to many break down to rely on one and I dont like the arc starts, or the lack of lift-arc. Sure, millers break down too but from what ive seen no where near as often.

Does the sync 200 have hot-start? If so, its no gimmic. Hot start for stick welding is worth it for sure, makes getting good restarts so much easier and makes open root work a breeze. Or are you talking about lift-arc? Either way, its work it IMO.
    Last edited by sn0border88; 02-17-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Have we all gone mad?

i tried both out and was going to buy the Miller machine just because I prefer Blue. But at the time the Lincoln was the better buy so I bought it. So far it has been an awesome machine and I love it. Looking back at this, I would buy the one with the best price and services you the best.

Good uck
    Miller DVI2
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38
    Everything else needed.

I was wondering how big of a difference 30 amps is? I may go with the miller because it is cheaper and comes with a stinger, but wasn't sure if the 30 amp different would cancel out the difference? Thanks

I was wondering how big of a difference 30 amps is? I may go with the miller because it is cheaper and comes with a stinger, but wasn't sure if the 30 amp different would cancel out the difference? Thanks
    both the miller and the lincoln are sold as machines only or as "ready to run" setups.

Both are quality machines and I liked Miller more....probably because everywhere I looked I saw Miller machines. Then, I used 2 millers at the local college where I took a couple welding classes. The only had 2 Tig booths....both with miller synchrowave 350s. One was a regular 350 and the other was a 350LX. During the semester, both machines went down........and they sat there and sat there waiting for the miller rep to pick them up. In the mean time, the college had a brand new Lincoln Precision Tig 225 sitting in the back room that Lincoln had donated to the college. The Lincoln just sat in the back room because the head instructor had a hard-on for Miller and he didn't want to hook up the Lincoln. Well, after some begging and pleading by one of the students, they hooked up the Lincoln PT225.......and damn was it nice to use. On the millers, I always found that arc wander was an issue. On the lincoln, most of my noob isues took care of themsleves. The lincoln was really easy to use and setup....and it just flat out worked! Even the "miller" professor confessed in the end that the PT225 was a great unit....we even saw him using it! That changed my mind about Lincoln.

Is the 30 amps a big deal? I don't plan to do thick steel, and if I do, I will arc it. Thanks for all the help.

I would say that 30 amps is borderline useless. For bragging rights only.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

Here is the two comparison charts. One from lincoln and one from miller. Read them carefully. Especially the duty cycles.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...owave_200.html
    http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ture/e3372.pdf
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

Quote Originally Posted by BurningMetal View Post
    both the miller and the lincoln are sold as machines only or as "ready to run" setups.

Both are quality machines and I liked Miller more....probably because everywhere I looked I saw Miller machines. Then, I used 2 millers at the local college where I took a couple welding classes. The only had 2 Tig booths....both with miller synchrowave 350s. One was a regular 350 and the other was a 350LX. During the semester, both machines went down........and they sat there and sat there waiting for the miller rep to pick them up. In the mean time, the college had a brand new Lincoln Precision Tig 225 sitting in the back room that Lincoln had donated to the college. The Lincoln just sat in the back room because the head instructor had a hard-on for Miller and he didn't want to hook up the Lincoln. Well, after some begging and pleading by one of the students, they hooked up the Lincoln PT225.......and damn was it nice to use. On the millers, I always found that arc wander was an issue. On the lincoln, most of my noob isues took care of themsleves. The lincoln was really easy to use and setup....and it just flat out worked! Even the "miller" professor confessed in the end that the PT225 was a great unit....we even saw him using it! That changed my mind about Lincoln.
    I know what you mean, I wanted the Miller but wasn't going to pay the 500.00 extra for it so I bought the Lincoln. I did rey both out and thought they both worked great but I was or am still new to tig. When I brought the Lincoln home I just plugged it in and hit the pedal. The Micro start is awesome and the arc very smooth and easy to control. For me, I am very happy with my PT225 and would buy another in a hart beat.
    Miller DVI2
    Everything else needed.

Jamlit, I really wanted a Miller Dynasty, but the cost was just too much. Then, I came really close to pulling the trigger on an Everlast machine, but it was when I visited the PRI show in December that sealed the deal for Lincoln. I ran into the lincoln rep who also came to visit the college where I took welding classes. As a student, he informed me that Lincoln could set me up with a factory demo unit (with warranty) from Lincoln..either a PT 225 or an Invertec V205T AC/DC. I ended up buying the Invertec for about the same price as the "street" price of a Miller Synchrove 200DX!!! An inverter for the price of a transsformer....easy decision! If I wanted the PT225, the price was sickly low, too. enough to not even consdier a chinese tig!!!!!

That says alot to me on how Lincoln really supports welding education, students, and colleges! They want to get aspiring welders using their equipment!

I really wanted the Dynasty DX as well, and couldn't pay the price either. I didn't have the justification now but hope that as time goes on and things move forward that a big inverter is in my future. I read a lot about the V205T and would have gotten one if I could have made a decent deal but up here in eastern Canada, super deals are super hard to find. My LWS does work very hard getting me the best prices he can so I try to stay loyal to them. I bought the PT225 complete kit with cart for 2469.00 which includes our high 13% tax December 2008. No one could beat that deal here so I bought it. The Miller Syncrowave 200 with runner kit was 3000.00 with tax. Was a no brainer for me and as much as I love my Millers, The Lincoln Rep here is way better then the Miller Rep which was another reason to go Lincoln.

I am glad you hung out for a good machine as I am sure you are. either way a good Red or Blue beats the off shore stuff hands down.

Thanks for the reply and take care.
    Miller DVI2
    Everything else needed.