Two stupid mistakes in one dat. Flashed without eye protection.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Two stupid mistakes in one dat. Flashed without eye protection.

I had my the first flash today twice. Predictably while trying to show my son how to weld. I left the welder on by accident and got too close and FLASH, the wire popped off the end of the MIG gun and there was a momentary flash. Nothing was between me and the flash except my normal safety glasses I always wear in the shop. I have NEVER flashed myself before. Yeah it was stupid but now I am concerned. I don't see any spots or anything so I am hoping it was too brief to have an effect. I immediately yanked the gun back of course. The other time was through my miller digital elite lends but the darkening didn't kick in. I left it in grind mode like an idiot. The helmet still seemed to filter it to yellow color and again I have no spots. Two things I have never done in over 2 years of welding. I must be getting senile. So what do you all think, should I go see an eye doc or am I probably good since I have no after effects that are discernible?
    Victor Journeyman OA Torch
    Victor Edge Regulators
    Lincoln 180HD (240v) MIG/FCAW
    Shark LT v7 CAD
    Miller Digital Elite Helmet
    35 Milligrams of Insanity

Re: Two stupid mistakes in one dat. Flashed without eye protection.

Your eyes may be sore in the morning. After two or three days you'll prolly be fine. Don't rub them, it only makes it worse. And don't look at the sun either, your eyes will burn and tear up.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

a small flash like that you should be fine. soak a bit of flannel in cold tea and put it over your (closed) eyes before bed, it will help take the heat out.

Now you can start saying you're a weldor.

Get used to it, it won't be the last time this happens. Most clear safety glasses and proscription glasses will help block UV. This can help with small flashes. Your eyes may feel a bit itchy and full of sand tomorrow if you got yourself good, but you should be fine.

IIRC Miller lists their AD hoods as sufficient to block UV even in the off mode. You'll see spots for a while, but won't really get hurt that bad.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

There won't be any queston about it when you need to see the doc. You'll be trying to get to sleep and your eyes will hurt like you've got sand in them. You're probably fine. You'll see lots of spots before your eyes are really burned. A fine helmet like yours protects your eyes no matter what mode it is in. It will be hard to see and it may be uncomfortable but it still blocks the UV light. Just don't try weld that way on purpose.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

Rells, no worse than having your picture taken with the old “Flash Bulb” cameras. The real danger is when the arc light sneaks in around the back of your head over a period of hours. Just say, “Cheese”.

If there is flourescent lighting nearby stare at the light for about 1 Min after flashing yourself..
    You will not have the "Sand" in the eye syndrome at all..

I don't know how it works but it does..
    Learned that back in the '70'S and still do it on occasion today..
    Never any problems..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

ill have to remember that zap!!

I think you should be good.
    A momentary flash is no worry.

For a small exposure like that I wouldn't worry. It's more when you are actually watching an arc for a longer period of time, or multiple short exposures that you'll feel something. Nowadays most safety glasses provide enough protection to protect you from small exposures anyways.

If a little flash like that was all it would take to go see a doctor, I think most weldors would be legaly blind. The sand in the eye feeling you get can be annoying, but it will remind you (hopefully) not to do that again. And don't worry about the flash while you were wearing your helmet. The visible light shade in grind mode is 3 or 4 I think, but most helmets block UV at shade 14 regardless of what the visible shade is at, if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting trick zapster, I'll have to try that next time.

I was so used to my cheap harbor Freight solar hood that was always on, now I got a Miller with batteries and a switch and I forget to turn it on every time. It still filters out a lot when it's off but still a pretty bright flash! Hasn't seemed to affect me yet.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Linde 235 AC Stick
    Victor 100C
    Harris O/A
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Lincoln Weldanpower 3000LX

No, that's not my car.

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    If there is flourescent lighting nearby stare at the light for about 1 Min after flashing yourself..
    You will not have the "Sand" in the eye syndrome at all..

I don't know how it works but it does..
    Learned that back in the '70'S and still do it on occasion today..
    Never any problems..

...zap!
    You have said this a number of times. Not discounting your experience, but I am really curious how it works, or if it really does work...I just like knowing why something works...

It may have been a coincidence that it worked on you and you may not have had a flash burn either way...

Flash burn is accumulative..no one stares at an arc for long enough to get burned eyes...like the OP said, it was two quick pops, both with glasses on..if it was 30 or 40 times a day, without glasses, youd have a problem...and I have a hard time visualizing someone standing and staring at a light fixture for 30 or 40 minutes a day having a job for very long...so, I guess you wouldnt get flash burn

I got a small flash yesterday and my eyes are a little sore bit I may just be really tired...lol.

Also I was tack welding all day sunday without a mask and today my face is feeling like it is sunburned. What do you guys do for this?? I have been putting hand cream on my face skin to get moisture back in to the skin. It seems to be working a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickbug View Post
    What do you guys do for this?? .
    um, wear a hood? just a guess.....

ok, got that out of my system...but let me add, dont tack without eye protection...even if you dont wear a hood, wear glasses--

I have mig tacked without a hood zillions of times and had the sunburn and have had dingleberries jump up and hit me....wear a hood or at least wear glasses..

.not too many blind weldors out there.....

I use a Huntsman 430P hood..it has a flip up lens...I position the lens about half way open. I leave the hood down and just look under the lens to see...I've done it this way for 30yrs and dont get flashed and dont get spatter in my face...

This pic shows how the flap stays partway open so you can look under it, it also shows the velcro pads for the leather neck shield that I hang on there on occasion
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Stickbug View Post
    I got a small flash yesterday and my eyes are a little sore bit I may just be really tired...lol.

Also I was tack welding all day sunday without a mask and today my face is feeling like it is sunburned. What do you guys do for this??
    Deal with it for the next few days.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

[QUOTE=Grimm1;367964

Interesting trick zapster, I'll have to try that next time.[/QUOTE]

next time hell, im going out in the shop right now and try it out..

and to the OP..its not a big deal. you may experience minor discomfort, isnt that what the dentist says?