My Oxygen tank is leaking!
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

My Oxygen tank is leaking!

Just exchanged my Oxy tank last week, and today I hooked it up to my oxy-fuel rig, which I've not used in about a year. Slowly turned on the oxy, and heard it hissing loudly. Turned it off, made sure everything was tight, redid all the connections, and tried again. Still hissing loudly, and I could feel the gas escaping between the tank and the regulator. Turned everything off again, opened up all the windows and doors, turned off all the electricity, and came back inside.

A few questions:
    Is this probably the tank, or is it a fault in my $100 chinese oxy-acetylene rig I got off ebay? Never had any problems with it before, but it's been about 9 months since I used it. Makes me think there's a problem with the tank.

There's not supposed to be any rubber gasket or anything where the regulator connects to the tank, is there? I'm sure it's just supposed to be all brass, and nothing else. Am I missing something?

How long until it's safe to go back in the shed and turn on some lights? How long until I can run the kerosene heater again? It's snowing outside and I'm cold.
    "To tell which polarity to use go to the bathroom and pour some water down the drain. If it runs clockwise use straight polarity. If it runs counter-clockwise use reverse polarity. Or if it just gurgles use alternating current." -RandomDave

Re: My Oxygen tank is leaking!

Quote Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
    Just exchanged my Oxy tank last week, and today I hooked it up to my oxy-fuel rig, which I've not used in about a year. Slowly turned on the oxy, and heard it hissing loudly. Turned it off, made sure everything was tight, redid all the connections, and tried again. Still hissing loudly, and I could feel the gas escaping between the tank and the regulator. Turned everything off again, opened up all the windows and doors, turned off all the electricity, and came back inside.

A few questions:
    Is this probably the tank, or is it a fault in my $100 chinese oxy-acetylene rig I got off ebay? Never had any problems with it before, but it's been about 9 months since I used it. Makes me think there's a problem with the tank.

There's not supposed to be any rubber gasket or anything where the regulator connects to the tank, is there? I'm sure it's just supposed to be all brass, and nothing else. Am I missing something?

How long until it's safe to go back in the shed and turn on some lights? How long until I can run the kerosene heater again? It's snowing outside and I'm cold.
    Go back out, remove the reg and check for nicks, burrs, dirt, birds, etc at the connection. Most commonly people bang their regulator and put a flat on the male tapered section of the union. Of course there is no gasket, sealer or lube of any kind. So again, check your sealing surfaces, and replace the one with the defect. If its the cylinder, they will swap it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
    "How long until it's safe to go back in the shed and turn on some lights? How long until I can run the kerosene heater again? It's snowing outside and I'm cold.
    granted if you let an enclosed area become 100% O2, there can be a serious fire hazard, but leaking a little isn't dangerous, the atmosphere is already 4% O2 and you need it to live. Guess what I'm saying is I don't understand your concerns, O2 isn't explosive by itself unless you seriously saturate the area and have something to burn with it.? Not poison either, obviously.

Hope I didn't imply you're alright with a leak, that's not OK, can't help there, just calming your worries.
    Last edited by kenklingerman; 03-02-2010 at 12:52 PM.
    HH187
    Hobart 500i plasma cutter
    Clark 4.5" Grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw
    30 gallom 1.6 hp compressor
    10 gallon pressure pot sand blaster
    lots of hand tools

In the field liquid teflon is my best friend with leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by jreynoldswelding View Post
    In the field liquid teflon is my best friend with leaks.
    I would be afraid to use anything liquid as it might have an oil base to it, plain teflon tape..NO OIL!!!!!

I have teflon tape for my air compressor...that's safe to use?
    I've always been very hesitant about putting ANYTHING on oxygen threads.
    "To tell which polarity to use go to the bathroom and pour some water down the drain. If it runs clockwise use straight polarity. If it runs counter-clockwise use reverse polarity. Or if it just gurgles use alternating current." -RandomDave

Here's the new tank I got from Airgas..is this bad?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, that thread looks to be your problem. By the way, not all Teflon is for use with oxygen. Some of the more common stuff used fo plumming has a hydrocarbon based lubricant on it. make sure you use a Teflon approved for oxygen service.

Where you need to look is inside the hole not the threads.

Look in the hole you will see a smooth area that mates with male end of your regulator that goes in the hole. look for any scratches or nicks in there as well as the piece on your reg. that goes in it.
    Trailblazer 302
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Lincoln SP 135 T
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Those threads just pull the stem tight aganst the valve seat.

The blue arrows in my picts show where the mating surfaces are. It is posible to have a bad seat on a valve. Some guys feel the need to tighten the nuts with the biggest wrench they can find and will crish the seat surface. The next guy may find that his reg stem won't match the deformed seat well and will leak.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Fixed.

I think it was the threads. I tightened it pretty tight, until it felt like a darn good seal. Apparently, it just was caught on the damage to the thread, though. Using a bigger wrench, I could tighten it a bit more, and it formed a good seal. Didn't have to use any PTFE tape, which was lucky since I apparently forgot to bring it.

tape don't seal it anyways.. it just lessens the friction so you can get on it a bit harder.. most problems occur when someone uses really huge wrenches to tighten brass.. i'm guilty of it myself.. a crescent spud has more torque than you realize..
    if you're not livin on the edge, you're takin up too much room..

I don't believe any part of the valve, or seat, on the tank is brass. I think I recall the LWS dude telling me they're steel.

Makes sense, you got 2000psi on the valve, seat, and regulator on the high pressure side.

Anyway, I think I remember what the dude said. It all be steel on steel
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

I gotta funny feeling I'm wrong maybe.

Too late to call the supplier to find out for sure

Seems pure steel would be spark prone, maybe some sorta alloy

the regulator is brass, man..
    if you're not livin on the edge, you're takin up too much room..

DISREGARD!!!!!!

I called Kevin over at American...................they were still there!!

The valve is a brass alloy!!

For medical applications, and some other applications the seat is nickel plated to prevent any kind of corrosion

Whew, glad I got that straightened up

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    DISREGARD!!!!!!

I called Kevin over at American...................they were still there!!

The valve is a brass alloy!!

For medical applications, and some other applications the seat is nickel plated to prevent any kind of corrosion

Whew, glad I got that straightened up

Glad we got that sorted out Samm. I was going to have to go out and find and old valve to cut in half and proove you wrong!

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Actually, a lot of medical valves are aluminum.
    The nickel plating is on the outside of the regulator and stem, to prevent corrosion. Has nothing to do with what is inside.