Harris 63, and Meco Aviator torch questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Harris 63, and Meco Aviator torch questions

Hello Folks, My name is Luke, and I am a welding Student in northern Colorado. I recently picked up a couple of torches to start working at home. The first is a Harris 63. They don't seem to make the 63 any more, but they do make the 63-2 which from photos looks exactly the same. The one I got has the cutting attachment, but no welding tips or mixer. What kind of mixer and tips do I need for this (generic are best, as I am on a student budget)? None of the welding supply shops in town carry Harris torches so I have to order what I need on the net.

I also just got a Meco Aviator. I really like this little torch as it is very small and light weight, but The ports where the hoses screw on are quite a bit smaller then on my Harris. Is it kosher to buy or make a converter to screw on to these so I can use my larger size hoses and gauges, or am I going to blow myself up? Also, are the welding tips from the Harris compatible with those of the Meco? Thanks for any info!

Re: Harris 63, and Meco Aviator torch questions

If I remember right (my old catalog isn't available right now), the Harris 63 uses an E-85 (equal pressure) mixer, and takes 23-A-90 tips. If you have the #73 cutting head, it uses 6290 tips. The handle might also be able to use an injection mixer.

Here is a link to the current Harris catalog; I see the #63 listed there. You can get tips online cheaper, but getting to know and supporting the folks at your local Welding Supply, particularly if you can find a small, non-chain one, can be worth the slightly higher prices they charge.

Ill add some info on the Meco. Nice torch, has A size fittings, and you would be best to get a 3/16" hose with A fittings to match. Adapters are available to go from A to B but it gets pretty clunky. The Meco is Obsolete, and only a few of us make parts for them, tip threads do not fit anything else. An adapter can be made for about $50 to use other tips, and the tips cost about $20 each. Probably not the cheapest way to go, especially considering the availability of parts. I could always use an extra, so let me know if you would like to pawn off the meco
    -Aaron

Thanks for the info guys. Turns out I can get the mixer and tips for the Harris from my local hardware store.

The Meco I got from my grandfather, and I wont be getting rid of it any time soon. I have the torches for bicycle brazing, and this torch is to perfect for the job to get rid of it. I would consider trading for a Victor J-28 handle though.

Quote Originally Posted by langsmer View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Turns out I can get the mixer and tips for the Harris from my local hardware store.

The Meco I got from my grandfather, and I wont be getting rid of it any time soon. I have the torches for bicycle brazing, and this torch is to perfect for the job to get rid of it. I would consider trading for a Victor J-28 handle though.
    Hmmm I do have a nice NOS J-28 in the collection. If you can, email me a picture of the Aviator novakperformance@yahoo.com Thanks!
    -Aaron

sounds good to me
    smith