lincoln sa-200 idle adjustment
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

lincoln sa-200 idle adjustment

Hey All,

I just inherited a 1969 Redface Sa-200 and I have a question about how to adjust the low idle. It runs and starts good, threw a tach on it and it is cranking along at about 1500 RPM. Has what looks to be a new solenoid/idler board mounted on it (Weldtron i think) which pulls the idler arm like its supposed to when I activate it manually, but does not idle down. Im guessing previous owner got it up to 1500 at the governor adjustment. I have downloaded all of the manuals for it, but after looking at them am not real clear how/where to adjust it for slow idle?

Thanks!

Re: lincoln sa-200 idle adjustment

is your idler linkage moving the carb to idle? if so the adjustment is on the carb in the middle of the two linkages. If the linkage is not moving you could have a bad reed switch, solenoid or your solenoid plunger could be stuck.

i just went through the same thing with mine.
    seems the hardest part is figuring out what isn't working.

is your solenoid good? you can check it by powering it straight from the battery
    is your board good? you can check to see if 12v is going to the solenoid

you can get the wiring diagram from http://www.billswelderrepair.com/SA200schematics.html
    also get im-277 from the lincoln site, it' ll explain the the idle adjustment.

mine takes about 25 secs to idle down, so you might switch it to auto-idle and give it a minute to see what happens.

dave

It has a brand new solenoid/board from Weldtron; it has an on/off switch wired to it and when I toggle it manually it cranks that idler lever over real quick, and pulls the carb to a spot where it *should go to low idle, but it does not. Ill see if i can get a couple of pics and post them.

pics are good

the carb may need adjusting

don't happen to have a tach to check rpms with?

dave

Did you go through the trouble shooting chart on page 11 of IM-277-A ? Could be bad auto idle switch, reed switch, oil pressure switch, wires... There are trouble shooting tips at the Weldtron site also. Make sure oil pressure switch light is on and alternator is charging 13.5 to 14.5 volts and battery is good. Oil light off but the light is ok replace oil pressure switch. Light is on check continuity of the idler control switch. Open replace the switch. Continuity good, reed switch could be bad or stuck closed, bad pc board, or check continuity of idler solenoid coil should be 25 ohms.

If the voltage reg is shot it will not idle down.
    CWB Inspector
    Red Seal
    B Pressure
    Arguing with an Inspector is like mudwrestling with a Pig.
    After a while you realize the Pig likes it.

Sometimes the main pivot hole, in the carb, that contains the shaft and butterfly valve, elongates. Instead of a round hole that allows smooth rotation of shaft and butterfly, the elongation causes everything to bind. Basically the low idle won't return to the stop screw, or the elongation adds extra air to the idle circuit.

-Rhyno
    07 Fowler 200D
    65 RedFace
    04 Miller TB 302, 22hp
    Miller 12RC
    Miller HF 251-1
    Lincoln SP135
    HyperTherm PM 380
    and a few others...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....