Help me identify this tool
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Help me identify this tool

Tool is stamped "Red Devil 417" and has double sided jaws...
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Re: Help me identify this tool

Looks like it's designed to hold tubing for flaring or something.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

One side of the jaws seem to be for crimpring they don't touch.
    Miller Syncrowave 200

I was thinking it's a swaging die for doing wire rope. I've also seen hose repair swages that look similar, but the holes look too small for that.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Looks like a wire terminal crimper to me, they wouldn't have to touch.
    There is no failure...only feedback

Have four of em from my father-in-laws tool chest I inherited..he was a "telephone,wireline,electrician" in the day when all the "big oil companies" had their own telephone and power service..have a bunch of the brass connectors of all sizes also..used to splice and connect wires. ( thats what I was told anyway). hope that helps

Just guessing, but by the look of it I would assume it is a tube flaring and swag-crimping combo tool. The locking clip would hold it together while you flared the tube end with something. I am ruling out a straight out swaging tool because once you pressed the swage there would be no reason to have the locking clip continue to hold it. But the middle double holes definitely look like they may do a crimp for wire. The outer holes would be for the tube flaring.
    Last edited by Ed.; 03-23-2010 at 04:42 AM.
    Miller Auto Invision 456 + S-62 wire feeder
    C6240B1 Gap bed lathe
    16 ft3 air compressor
    16 speed pedestal drill
    Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw

Thanks for the ideas, JayRay I bet you're right that was my guess.
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Just guessing, but by the look of it I would assume it is a tube flaring and swag-crimping combo tool. The locking clip would hold it together while you flared the tube end with something. I am ruling out a straight out swaging tool because once you pressed the swage there would be no reason to have the locking clip continue to hold it. But the middle double holes definitely look like they may do a crimp for wire. The outer holes would be for the tube flaring.
    The grooves in the holes sure look like a flaring vice to me too, but then one side of the hole would have to be chamfered.

It looks WAY too flimsy to be a swaging die. Since both sides have holes, you can't beat on it, and the handle won't nearly have the strength to swage wire rope.
    The small holes look like they could be for crimping wire terminals, but crimping large wires is very similar to swaging wire rope. It still seems too lightweight.

Why do the small holes appear to be in pairs? That has to mean something.

Something still doesn't add up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JayRay View Post
    Have four of em from my father-in-laws tool chest I inherited..he was a "telephone,wireline,electrician" in the day when all the "big oil companies" had their own telephone and power service..have a bunch of the brass connectors of all sizes also..used to splice and connect wires. ( thats what I was told anyway). hope that helps
    I also have one of these that I got from my father-in-law's tool barn. He was also an electrician, for Georgia Power. I have always thought it was a crimping tool. I actually used it for that, making golf cart battery cables.
    Nctox,
    Stickmate LX 235AC/160DC
    HH210

Quote Originally Posted by B D View Post
    Tool is stamped "Red Devil 417" and has double sided jaws...
    this is part of a kit for soldering solid copper wire connections. do you have the rest of the kit? I have almost 2 complete sets myself and they sure come in handy when working on thermocouples for power generation plants. they are not really that old but are more job specific related tools. most of the people that have these have worked in the power gen. industry of plant maintenance.

i love lighting off thermocouples..
    if you're not livin on the edge, you're takin up too much room..

Looks to me like a gripping tool of some kind, not a swage. (1) It would be silly to have the serrations visible on the surfaces of the recesses on the dies of a swage which are always highly polished, and (2) the larger die recesses requiring higher force would always be closer to the hinge than the smaller holes in a multi-recess swage.

It doesn't look like a flaring diel. I presume BD would have shown us any flaring bevel. Also there is no reason for pairs of recesses in a flaring die.

My guess is a tool for gripping cable or tubing to hold it in place while some other operation is performed on the bitter end. Still doesn't explain the double recesses or the placement of the larger recesses.

awright