Using high alloy filler on Carbon steel
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Using high alloy filler on Carbon steel

I bring home the tag ends of filler wire from work that the shop trashes . we weld all kinds of material so I have various carbon, chrome, stainless fillers. I was wondering what problems/dangers I should worry about if I use high alloy filler on carbon steel.

The things I do at home are repairing a plow or mower, or building some sort of rack or repairing/building a trailor. Something that might see some high stress or impacts, but see no pressure as in a pressure vessel of some sort.

We're doing a lot of P9/P91 and P22, so I've been getting some ER90SB2, ER90SB9, and ER80SB2. Would cracking be an issue. I know all of the chrome pieces we build are PWHT in the furnace to be tempered and bring the hardness levels down.

So, would it be worth it to try or not?
    Tack It!!

Re: Using high alloy filler on Carbon steel

These filler metals are very low in carbon, You are doing pwht at work because of the base metal not the filler metal. If you use these on mild steel, weld cracking should not be an issue.

yah they will readily weld to carbon steels. In fact for my home projects I almost exclusively use stainless steel filler (it just nicer to weld with)

hard to say without knowing each individual filler and base metal combination. But chrome and nickel based alloys readily weld to carbon steels.

Metarinka,
    as I recall from your past posts, you have some advanced knowledge of welding metallurgy, so since there are many novices here that may not know anything about the welding metallurgy and the potential detrimental effects of mixing SS with CS.could you expand somewhat on the subject?

Thanks weldinglifer, wasn't sure about the filler.
    Last edited by bigcountry1009; 03-28-2010 at 10:33 AM.
    Tack It!!

If you are building or repairing trailers or other things that see high stresses or flexing do not use SS filler. If it is just random non- critical parts, go for it. Stainless steels are still mostly Iron, but with enough Nickel, Chrome and other alloys to prevent rust under most simple conditions.
    The Nickel content helps kill porosity on carbon steel welds, but you need to know that most 300 series stainless steels are far more prone to repetitive stress fractures than plain carbon steel.
    This means that if the weld joint is made to flex or bend again and again, it will break faster with stainless filler in the weld.
    Also, if the joint is exposed to water the presence of dissimilar metals will increase corrosion.
    There can also be a problem with carbon migration from the carbon steel to the stainless steel.
    This allows Chromium Carbides to form as the weld cools, which can lead to hard spots more prone to corrosion and stress fracture.
    If you want to use stainless steel filler on carbon steel, then go for the alloys meant for this.
    309L and 312L are both intended for joining dissimilar metals.

Like Pulser said their can be some potentialy detrimental effects of mixing SS with CS, but you can use Stainless filler rod to kill porosity
    Last edited by madkaw284; 03-28-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Now, I'm not using SS filler on carbon, what I was referring to is using what our job instructions at work call High Alloy fillers, not stainless. They are ER90SB9, ER90SB8, ER80SB9. Used for fillers on P22, P9, P91 base materials.
    Tack It!!