Wiring new 220v Welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wiring new 220v Welder

Just picked up a 110a 220v Mig Welder(with no plug end) and need to know what kind of end I need and if I can wire it into my garage. The garage is already wired with 2 125/250v NEMA 10-30 outlets. One with a triangular center post and the other has a round center post. Both (I assume) are wired through a 2-pole 50a circuit breaker labeled "Welder" at the box. Now my Q is can I wire on a male 10-30 end and rock and roll or do I need to change somethings or all things? Any help would be appreciated. I am not familiar with household electricity.

Thanks

Re: Wiring new 220v Welder

You did not say how many amps your new welder draws. It would be on a plaque on the back of the welder, yours might say 30 amps at 220V.

A typical home welder, which puts out around 200 amps, would need a 50 amp breaker. I run four pieces of equipment from my 50 amp 220V circuit. There are two outlets on that circuit, one for the compressor and one for the welders. I have yet to trip that circuit, even though I sometimes use my compressor and welder at the same time. But then I never turn my welder up to the max.

If you already have a 220V 30 amp circuit, that should be enough for a 110A welder. A matching plug from the store should be easy to get you up and running. But you did not say what the color code was for the wires on the cable attached to the welder. Green is generally ground. You still might need some advice to get the wires hooked to the right prong on the plug, you don't want to blow it up or create a hazard.

Richard
    Last edited by raferguson; 03-31-2010 at 12:58 AM.
    Sculptures in copper and other metals
    http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 211
    Readywelder spoolgun
    Hypertherm 600 plasma cutter
    Thermal Arc GMS300
    Victor OA torch
    Homemade Blacksmith propane forge

Thanks Richard. The wires from the welder itself are GRN/BLK/WHT. the manual says it draws 25 @ 220v. After doing a little more research the outlet is a standard NEMA 10-30 plug, but the style seems to be that of an old stove or dryer(2 spades in an upside down "V" shape with a 90* terminal at the bottom). I measured it with my Snap-on multimeter and recorded 240VAC from the outlet. Would this be ok to use?

Thanks again. The help is appreciated

Your best bet is to get a proper NEMA 6-50R receptacle and plug end. Receptacle is $10.48 at homedepot.ca

They look like an oversized 110V outlet. Your welder or any other 220V tool you bring in only needs 2 hots (white & black in your case) and a ground (green). The dryer plug you are talking about has 2 hots, a neutral and a ground, since the dryer only uses 220V for the heating and 110V for all the other junk (motor, lights etc).

If you jerry rig something with your old dryer plug when you come to plug in your new plasma that you have yet to buy or a buddy's welder you will be SOL because it will have a NEMA 6-50 plug.

The 6-50 plug is a good call, that is what came on my plasma cutter and MIG. Looks like an oversized 110V outlet. That way you will be ready when and if you buy other equipment.

For some reason my TIG welder has the 10-50 plug instead, three flat blades at angles, but both are 50 amp connectors.

If you have green, white, black, then green is ground, and white and black are the two hot legs, so you would measure 220V between white and black when you are done, and roughly 110V between black and green and white and green.

Richard
    Sculptures in copper and other metals
    http://www.fergusonsculpture.com

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 211
    Readywelder spoolgun
    Hypertherm 600 plasma cutter
    Thermal Arc GMS300
    Victor OA torch
    Homemade Blacksmith propane forge

Got it! Did exactly what you suggested Salem. took all of about an hour to get everything up and running. Thanks for all the help guys. I am glad I found this forum. Looking forward to seeing everyone's projects and hopefully posting some of my own soon!

NO! NO! NO. 220-240 Volts, L1- BLACK, L2- BLACK, GREEN or Bare copper is GROUND. White is ONLY if there is 120 volts needed in the circuit.