Water table for plasma cutter
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water table for plasma cutter

started our water table build this week. Table top frame is made out of 3x4 3/16th tubing. we should have around 3-3.5 inches of water depth. Using 2" wide .25 inch flat bars as cross slats spaced 1.5" from each other. I have started a gallery on my website that will encompass the entire build. their are more photos in it if you are interested. Gallery is here

here are a few photos of the progress so far.

squaring up the top

burning it together

Milling out the slat spacers.

slat spacers all done, I did them in 2 sections each side so they would fit on the mill better.

The slats will rest on 1x1 square tube.

Clamping/positioning slat holders to main table

burning them on.

test fitting slats

close up of slat holders

Re: Water table for plasma cutter

We got a bit more done tonight, hope to have the legs on by tomorrow evening. Then deal with the water pan bottom. It will be riveted and siliconed to the bottom of the 3x4 tubing. More photos to come.

very nice design......do you have a small cnc plasma? or is this just for hand cutting with your plasma torch?

also, are the slats just loosely resting in there so that they are easily replaced when they get burned up too much?

Nice build. I have been using a large commercial drip tray from an A/C unit and an old stuck stuck roller conveyor section as my cutting table. Haven't had the time to upgrade with all the other projects, jobs and honey do's.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningMetal View Post
    very nice design......do you have a small cnc plasma? or is this just for hand cutting with your plasma torch?

also, are the slats just loosely resting in there so that they are easily replaced when they get burned up too much?
    Yeah this is for a tourchmate 2x2 CNC plasma machine, using a miller 625 plasma cutter.

Slats are free floating, and pop right out for easy flipping and changing if they get to bad.

Nice table. But the clean, white towel on your head made me just howl!!!
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

got a link to your website?

Keep in mind the air pressure out of the plasma gun may really upset the water if its too close. 9-12" away minimum is what I'd recommend to the top of the waterline. How I know this is beacuse I first tried sand to reduce the hassle in the freezing winter and you can guess what happened. Sand storm. Just food for thought as your tabel looks really nice. Sheet steel will act as a backstop for the water but open cuts will be letting the h20 spray all over.
    Last edited by Qwert66; 04-02-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bert the welder View Post
    Nice table. But the clean, white towel on your head made me just howl!!!
    yeah, that is actually my buddy, I'm the monkey behind the camera. I give him crap about it all the tim. We were tig welding in a small room with white walls a coupl of weeks ago and were both getting blasted with light rays bouncing in from every wich way. The towel helped reduce that. Looks pretty dumb though!

Quote Originally Posted by oxy moron View Post
    got a link to your website?
    sorry the link is in the first post but it's kinda obscure, here is the full link.

http://www.jcampphoto.com/PendletonR...24138814_FQWdJ

Looks good.

Subscribed.
    07 Fowler 200D
    65 RedFace
    04 Miller TB 302, 22hp
    Miller 12RC
    Miller HF 251-1
    Lincoln SP135
    HyperTherm PM 380
    and a few others...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....

Quote Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
    Keep in mind the air pressure out of the plasma gun may really upset the water if its too close. 9-12" away minimum is what I'd recommend to the top of the waterline. How I know this is beacuse I first tried sand to reduce the hassle in the freezing winter and you can guess what happened. Sand storm. Just food for thought as your tabel looks really nice. Sheet steel will act as a backstop for the water but open cuts will be letting the h20 spray all over.
    Thanks for the tip, we are hopeing that the water will not be to big of an issue. Have seen a few other tables online with shallow water depths that looked Ike they worked out. We will find out soon!

got a bit more done tonight. got the legs built. legs are 3x2 .120 wall tube. Tomorrows plan is to burn them on to the top.

Here are the quickie adjustable feet i made, just a 3/4 inch bolt taped into a 3/8 plate that was welded to the bottom of each leg

view of the legs mocked up on the bottom of the table. Each side was tig welded together. next is to square up the side to each other and the table.

close up of one of the tig beads, my buddy's, not mine, mine were not photo worthy! weld mold rod was used.

The water tables I'm familiar with have the Bed (slats) raise and lower in a water tank to accommodate different material thicknesses. The material (plate) is almost completely submerged reducing heat build up and keeps warping to a minimum. I'd guess by having such a low volume tank, adding / removing water would achieve a proper water level easily.

If your builds purpose is to have a slag quenching catch pan for the cutting table, please disregard the above.

Nice project!

Quote Originally Posted by zlick View Post
    The water tables I'm familiar with have the Bed (slats) raise and lower in a water tank to accommodate different material thicknesses. The material (plate) is almost completely submerged reducing heat build up and keeps warping to a minimum. I'd guess by having such a low volume tank, adding / removing water would achieve a proper water level easily.

If your builds purpose is to have a slag quenching catch pan for the cutting table, please disregard the above.

Nice project!
    yes, plan is just to use the hose in the shop to raise the water as needed. should not take much too change the height much. Their will be a drain as well.

We just want to keep the dust and ect from the cnc plasma down as much as possible. The machine wont be ran much like a full production shop would use.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

I can't wait to see the end result.

What cutter will you be using and what torch?
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Got alot done today. The frame work for the table is all welded up!

Todays photos are brought to you from my 11 year old nephew! i gave him my slr camera and he went to town with it. Pretty cool photos for shooting through a welding hood!

Rats nest of straps, trying to square everything up then tack it together.

A photo of me actually doing some welding. Tigging with a miller dynasty 200 dx.

another of me welding, this time with the older millermatic 200 mig.

up on the table

all done, next is the water pan bottom.

today's super handy shop helper.
    Last edited by Jeromy; 04-04-2010 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    I can't wait to see the end result.

What cutter will you be using and what torch?
    We have the miller 625, the older pre extreme version, with the ice40 tourch.

the table stands on its own! got the water pan siliconed and riveted on. letting the silicone setup overnight and will test for leaks tomorrow.

the little helper clecoing the bottom in place.

view of the table with the machine sitting on top of it.

Nice looking project, so are you going to add indexing pins and slide the plasma down the table for bigger cuts???

Quote Originally Posted by pandinus View Post
    Nice looking project, so are you going to add indexing pins and slide the plasma down the table for bigger cuts???
    yes, exactly the plan.

I'm impressed with the table -- and also with the quality of the photography. Is that just a regular digital camera you're using?
    Jack Olsen
    My garage website

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    I'm impressed with the table -- and also with the quality of the photography. Is that just a regular digital camera you're using?
    Thanks for the complements, I Shoot with a canon eos 7d. Saving my pennies for a 5dmkii. If you want to see more of the stuff I typicaly shoot: www.jcampphoto.com

Update on the table, unfortunatly the silicone doesnot like the cold shop and is still setting up. So no water test yet. I won't turn the heater down as much tonight.

Aha. A real photographer. That explains it.

Nice work!

I've always wanted to drive MMP. One of these years, I'm going to make it out there. (Where would we be without Alan Wilson's tracks?)
    Jack Olsen
    My garage website

Will you be cutting any aluminum with this setup? If so you will want an aerator of some sort to keep to keep Hydrogen gas from forming between the water and the sheet of aluminum, I had a customer several years ago that cut a lot of aluminum tread plate, the operator didn't notice that the pump that fed the aerator had quit, he walked away about 15 seconds before the whole thing exploded, controller, plasma unit, table etc; The last few plasma tables I have sold have all been installed on dampered downdraft tables, the main reason for this is some of the local municipalities have set regulations in place as to how a shop has to dispose of this water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Aha. A real photographer. That explains it.

Nice work!

I've always wanted to drive MMP. One of these years, I'm going to make it out there. (Where would we be without Alan Wilson's tracks?)
    Thanks!

You and your Porsche (pretty sweet btw) would really enjoy miller. Alan Wilson is a awesome dude. The facility is off the hook.