purge pressure inside stainless pipe?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

purge pressure inside stainless pipe?

what is the best pressure setting for your argon purge inside a stainless pipe when tig welding it?

Re: purge pressure inside stainless pipe?

15-20 lbs. then back it down to 5 lbs. when you weld the rest out.

thanks

Make sure you tape the ends of the pipe and put a small hole at one spot. you want flow not really "pressure."

Zero Lbs of pressure. 5-15CFH works for the flow depending on what you are doing and how critical it is to have perfect color on the inside.

Sry I had to :-P

Quote Originally Posted by lincweld View Post
    Make sure you tape the ends of the pipe and put a small hole at one spot. you want flow not really "pressure."
    Quote Originally Posted by i4sillypwr View Post
    Zero Lbs of pressure. 5-15CFH works for the flow depending on what you are doing and how critical it is to have perfect color on the inside.

Sry I had to :-P
    These are the correct answers; you can use barely a trickle in the pipe; if you have a couple seconds to fill it with higher volume, then you can cut the flow to almost nothing; be sure the pipe is dammed, and has a bleed off; just like stated above. Don't use the weld joint as the bleed off; the weld won't cover that pressurized escape vent for beans.
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

As you are welding the root, it should be cranked up pretty high. Then at the last inch of root, turn down to 5-10 cfh. If you have a hole for flow, it is best that its on the top since argon is heavy. A hole on bottom
    and you could lose your coverage.
    UA Local 598

i agree with hughes i crank it up for tacks and most of the root, then turn it down for the last inch or two,if you foget to turn it down the root will end up on the tungsten, lol!
    member of plumbers and pipefitters local 630
    lincoln 130 inverter
    1965 red face sa 200

using purge tape you can also tape up half the joint that you are not welding. Just make sure you clean well before welding the taped side. Like I stated, use purge tape and not duct tape, 3M makes a good purge tape that with stands high temps better than most- although I don't know the product number. Its a little more expensive but damn is that stuff nice.