Got A Gripe? - Page 27
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Got A Gripe?

Re: Got A Gripe?

It was hard thanking him and even harder trying to sound sincere. People up there are poor. Paper mills have shut down and small farms are a thing of the past. They hunt to help keep meat on their tables and I "get it" that they break the law shooting out of season and from vehicles. Deer have become scarce thanks to inappropriate wolf introductions and groceries haven't exactly gone down in price but...even thinking about shooting at a "deer" between someone's house and barn when there's a bunch of people standing around with the "deer" was pushing it.
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

my gripe for the day is this; crap on the interstate that bounces up and dings the windshield. not even 10,000 miles on my new jeep sahara and i got a small crack that appears to be migrating in a 6" semi circle. what makes it worse is this is the second time. driving up I-95 thanksgiving day a pebble bounced up and put a small star on the passenger side.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    It was hard thanking him and even harder trying to sound sincere. People up there are poor. Paper mills have shut down and small farms are a thing of the past. They hunt to help keep meat on their tables and I "get it" that they break the law shooting out of season and from vehicles. Deer have become scarce thanks to inappropriate wolf introductions and groceries haven't exactly gone down in price but...even thinking about shooting at a "deer" between someone's house and barn when there's a bunch of people standing around with the "deer" was pushing it.
    Rusty deWees ? THE LOGGER does a great comedy routine about shooting a decoy deer placed there by game wardens.

In most states you must be well away from a road to legally shoot deer. They must have at least three points on antlers, (usually a 1.5 year old buck.) I don't believe it is possible to comply with law, and shoot somebody's dog by mistake. You met a criminal, and an idiot.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    my gripe for the day is this; crap on the interstate that bounces up and dings the windshield. not even 10,000 miles on my new jeep sahara and i got a small crack that appears to be migrating in a 6" semi circle. what makes it worse is this is the second time. driving up I-95 thanksgiving day a pebble bounced up and put a small star on the passenger side.
    I want the legalization of mud cannons. When someone passes, and cuts back in before they can see my headlights in their center mirror, it should be perfectly legal to fire a mortar round of mud ahead of their windshield where they will drive into it. I believe this would improve consideration levels among aggressive drivers. It might also have a Darwin effect, reducing their numbers.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Toilet paper.... like everything else.... inflation has taken a chunk out of it. It's gone up in price and in an attempt to hide exactly how much more we're being charged, they've shortened the tube by about 3/4 of an inch and reduced the number of sheets on a single roll so now a new double roll is only slightly larger in width than the old single rolls. This brand is Pom and it's sold in bulk of 48 rolls per box. They waited to restock their shelves for a few weeks after the change over presumably so consumers wouldn't have a new box and an old box for comparison. New boxes proclaimed same great product, new packaging. Problem is the reduced size & reduced product rolls don't fit well on the toilet paper bars any longer because they've been shortened and the sheets aren't as tightly wrapped as they used to be to give the illusion that the new tube has as many sheets as the old style tubes that were wound tighter. The pattern on the paper is the same but the tube on the left was wound tighter and the pattern is noticeably "flattened" compared to the tube on the right. The new tubes slide around on the bar and since they aren't wound as tight, our cats routinely empty the rolls onto the floor. This is the brand 'Pom' for people with septic fields. The double roll on the left is from about 2 years ago. I found a box down in the basement or wouldn't have been able to take this photo. The "new" double roll on the right is also Pom but was purchased recently and came in a box that said 25% more... uh huh... yes... sure it has 25% more. The new double roll has 25% more than the old single roll of two years ago-
    --

Name:  Pom toilet paper rolls 007.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  52.5 KB

--
    docwelder> Unfortunately, we get those chips all the time. If we catch them quick enough while they're small, we can have them repaired for about a third the price of a new windshield. A company out our way called Safelite does the repairs and incredibly.... they've always held for us. You'll still be able to see the dings but they won't spread across the windshield. Maybe there's a company out your way that provides a similar service?

adding something....
    Willie B> "You met a criminal, and an idiot." That's basically what my husband said.
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 01-03-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: adding something....
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Yeah, the ripoff of paying more for less is the 1 3/4 pint cartons of ice cream!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

The big grocery chains, when asked about the shrinking packaging have said that they are doing it all for you. It's what you want.
    And you probably didn't even know you wanted it that way.
    ---Meltedmetal

Potato chips are now 75% air and 25% chips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a collection of coffee cans (plastic and metal) going back several years for storing small stuff. Lining them up in a row really tells the story. The old 3# cans are now a fraction of what they used to be. Like the toilet paper, ice cream and chips...etc. Wonder how long before a "gallon" of milk SHRINKS!!!!!! too.

Quote Originally Posted by cr0ck1 View Post
    Potato chips are now 75% air and 25% chips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're wrong! 75% air, 10% chips, and 15% crumbs.

Willie

Salmon cans mostly water "for processing." Processing money is what it is.

Went to the dentist with a bad hang over this morning
    Completely my fault but just feel like griping about it.
    There is a positive thing though, went out on a date last night with the girl I have always wanted to and it was great...we both had a couple drinks more than we should have, she even called this morning to check on me and wish me a good day...Maybe we need a happy thread.

Extra virgin olive oil... very expensive and it just keeps going up up up in price and the vast majority of it is either made from low quality olives supposedly not fit to be "virgin" let alone "extra virgin" and/or is flat out fake made from soy, hazelnut, and/or cheap fish oils with other chemical additives to make it look and smell like extra virgin olive oil.
    --
    UC Davis did a study and about 70% of the extra virgin olive oils labeled and sold to us as extra virgin olive oil aren't to include the Bertolli, Pompeian, and Felippo Berio I used to buy from the grocery store depending on which was on sale. Very frustrating reading that study and finding out pert near every major brand is adulterated. As it turns out... NONE of the imported Italian extra virgin olive oils were what they were labeled. Only some of the extra virgin olive oils imported from Spain were truly extra virgin olive oils. Californian and Australian extra virgin olive oils with either the USDA organic, Australian Extra Virgin Certified, or California Olive Oil Council Certified Extra Virgin were the ONLY extra virgin olive oils on the market that really were extra virgin.
    --
    Tried to attach the pdf study with the lists and couldn't.
    --
    Michael ray> “Maybe we need a happy thread”, http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...akes-you-smile
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

Extra virgin olive oil...
    Name:  virgin-olive-oil.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  41.5 KB

Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

Extra virgin olive oil... very expensive and it just keeps going up up up in price and the vast majority of it is either made from low quality olives supposedly not fit to be "virgin" let alone "extra virgin" and/or is flat out fake made from soy, hazelnut, and/or cheap fish oils with other chemical additives to make it look and smell like extra virgin olive oil.
    --
    UC Davis did a study and about 70% of the extra virgin olive oils labeled and sold to us as extra virgin olive oil aren't to include the Bertolli, Pompeian, and Felippo Berio I used to buy from the grocery store depending on which was on sale. Very frustrating reading that study and finding out pert near every major brand is adulterated. As it turns out... NONE of the imported Italian extra virgin olive oils were what they were labeled. Only some of the extra virgin olive oils imported from Spain were truly extra virgin olive oils. Californian and Australian extra virgin olive oils with either the USDA organic, Australian Extra Virgin Certified, or California Olive Oil Council Certified Extra Virgin were the ONLY extra virgin olive oils on the market that really were extra virgin.
    --
    Tried to attach the pdf study with the lists and couldn't.
    --
    Michael ray> “Maybe we need a happy thread”, http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...akes-you-smile
    Eq,

Before you go lending to much credence to that UC Davis study keep in mind that their (supposed) research was funded by the "California Olive Growers Association".

Quote Originally Posted by FORTEALLOY View Post
    Name:  virgin-olive-oil.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  41.5 KB

Oh man that's funny. I think I'm going to have to print off a label that says "Extra Slutty" and take it with me next time I visit some friends in Helena. When no ones looking I'll stick over the "Extra Virgin" on their olive oil bottle.

Have a beer. Because no good story ever started out with some one eating a salad.

HT2> "Before you go lending to much credence to that UC Davis study keep in mind that their (supposed) research was funded by the "California Olive Growers Association"." Good point.... I should have followed the $$$. One issue though, I did the unreliable "home frig" test using small quantities of my extra virgin olive oils and none of those brands solidified like the Greek oil I'm now buying solidifies and the Pompeian went rancid pretty fast once opened which... I'd never paid much attention to before reading that study assuming that I hadn't used it in a timely fashion.
    --
    I've been buying a non-USDA organic extra virgin olive oil imported from Greece lately. It's bottled at a farm owed by the family importing it and they're trust worthy people that we've known for a while. They invited us to visit and stay with them for tours of their olive orchard and the surrounding area but.... not comfortable visiting Europe right about now and especially not Greece. Their oil is some semblance of affordable, locally available in quantity, passes the home frig test and doesn't go rancid if not used within a few months. We go through spurts and use more olive oil during the winter months when we're not grilling as much. Smells entirely different than the brands I used to purchase too which leads me to believe there is something to the study. I guess if the olive oil I'm buying now wasn't so easy to pick up, I'd look for a USDA organic olive oil from CA or would buy the California Olive Ranch brand that others have switched to. I'm just tired of getting duped.... I don't want to pay for an extra virgin olive oil that's been cut with other types of oils to maximize profits.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

I can hardly wait for the next time I've got friends over, we're cooking dinner and some one asks me if I've got any Olive Oil.

Name:  OLIVE OIL 001.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  44.4 KB

That is awesome!!! How did you do that? You must have a really great color printer. I'd love to slap that label on several bottles of olive oil for our kids. You done good HT2!!!
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

That is awesome!!! How did you do that? You must have a really great color printer. I'd love to slap that label on several bottles of olive oil for our kids. You done good HT2!!!
    No color printing involved. I just used WordPad, typed "extra slutty" and then played with the font size (and type) until I got it to where it was the right size to cover up the "extra virgin" on the label, printed it off, cut it out with scissors and scotch taped it to the existing label. A couple of minutes was all it took.

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    I can hardly wait for the next time I've got friends over, we're cooking dinner and some one asks me if I've got any Olive Oil.

Awesome! Seriously laughing out loud.
    Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

Yeah I have a gripe,

When you spend $350 on a welding helmet and it flashes you like crazy.

But on the bright side I called then and they sent out a replacement right away so that's a good thing. Now I feel bad about the scalding email I sent them
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 01-06-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Yeah I have a gripe,

When you spend $350 on a welding helmet and it flashes you like crazy.

But on the bright side I called then and they sent out a replacement right away so that's a good thing. Now I feel bad about the scalding email I sent them
    Was it Miller? Mine got replaced, and later the new one did it. A gentleman on the Miller forum explained that Miller Batteries are rebranded Panasonic. They have a flat back. Other brands have a concave back. They won't work.

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Was it Miller? Mine got replaced, and later the new one did it. A gentleman on the Miller forum explained that Miller Batteries are rebranded Panasonic. They have a flat back. Other brands have a concave back. They won't work.

Willie
    It's an optrel e684, they said I should get the new helmet on Monday, so that's pretty awesome of them to send out a new one right away, I should've called them sooner, apparently my email I sent 2 months ago didn't go through.

Optrel sent me a new lens, it works great so far with no flashing. So I'm really happy with them at this point. Great customer service, they never even asked me to send the old one back.