Welding I beams
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Welding I beams

Welding I beams

I might be building a boat house out of I beams and I was wondering what I should use to weld it. I was thinking about using my buddys dynasty 300 and arc welding it. How dose this sound im pretty new to welding and Ive never done structural welding. Dose that sound like a good idea

Re: Welding I beams

Are you require to have building permit for this? Engineering? Being that your new you are better off paying someone else to due the work. Get ready to duck I'm sure people will be fire answer back at you.

My buddy with the dynasty is an engineer. I also have another buddy that used to weld at a attachment shop and welded a few things for NASA.

Out in the wind, stick or flux-core are probably your choices. My choice would be stick only since I haven't done any flux core, but I've done plenty of stick and I'm confident I could do a good job. Looks like your choice is going to be stick also since the dynasty is a CC machine.
    "New to welding" and structural work can be a recipe for disaster. Do LOTS of practice before you lay your first weld on the project. Stress test your practice welds. When you get good at doing practice welds in the shop, start doing welds using the same material you'll be building with. Do these in the positions they will be on the real project. Do these while standing on a step ladder, etc, etc. When you get good at this then consider starting the project. You might also want to start with a project that isn't going to fall on your head when things go wrong. Then you can improve your skills and move to bigger projects. Some people are natural welders and some people will never get it. I don't know how you are, but it'll be better to find out before a big project than after.
    Last edited by AndyA; 04-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Thanks Andy I plan on doing lots of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe21 View Post
    My buddy with the dynasty is an engineer. I also have another buddy that used to weld at a attachment shop and welded a few things for NASA.
    See if you can get your welding buddy to stand over you while welding and give you some pointers. This will probably go a long way to getting your skill level up enough.

I'm an engineer. Unfortunately it's electrical engineering and I didn't learn jack about structures in school. I have since learned a lot from books and a long line of projects. Some of my first projects were 'cheat' engineered. I looked at someone else's properly engineered design, then I built mine using a little heavier material, or a little more bracing, or a little less span, etc. At the time I didn't have any understanding of how much load structures could take before failing.

Dynasty200DX w/coolmate1
    MM210
    MM Vintage
    Lincoln AC225
    Victor O/A, Smith AW1A
    Cutmaster 81
    IR 2475N7.5FP
    Rage3
    Jancy USA101
    9" SB
    AEAD-200LE

Yeah Ive been learning welding from everybody I can. I go to my welding buddys house quite a bit but he mostly dose mig on the 4x4s he builds and ive been goin to my other buddy with the dynasty to learn tig.

Ready! Fire! Aim! Your welding buddy is an engineer? What train does he run?
    If you, a new-be, asking for advice on a major project without saying what resources you have access to you’re going to be in everyone’s cross hairs. You better pickup a flack jacket and helmet while you’re at it.

No one of my buddies is a welder and the other is an engineer. I metioned this because in an earlier post someone asked about engineering and said that I should get a professional.

If it's a boat house for your canoe and it's fairly small I-beam, your probably OK. But, and I'm no expert, if it's a big expensive boat, and if you're not that experienced welding, I'm thinking you really might reconsider. Maybe get your welding buddy to do it and promise to pick up the beer from now on, or get him to weld attachment plates and bolt the structure together.
    Really be sure your welding buddy thinks you're skill level is there. If he's ok with it, get it in writing and burn,baby,burn!!!!
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

I might be building a boat house out of I beams and I was wondering what I should use to weld it. I was thinking about using my buddys dynasty 300 and arc welding it. How dose this sound im pretty new to welding and Ive never done structural welding. Dose that sound like a good idea
    Arc welding well as the machine you propose to use is made for producing arc weld then I guess you will be arc welding it.

I would sugest you use the SMAW process and 7018-1 filler electrode.

Thanks.

Your first stop should probably a legal forum that can provide advice on your local construction policies and required permits. If you are in the US, someone in the "Development Office" or whatever they call the building department at the county level should be able to "help".

My guess is that anything more complicated than nailing a couple of 2x's together will require drawings and engineering specifications done by a state-licensed engineer who specializes in that area.

Some areas of the US are more lax than others regarding permits, but I've been advised in the past that insurance companies don't have to cover losses for what are legally considered illegal structures, should something bad happen in the future. So when the next 'Exxon Valdez' runs aground on top of your boathouse, you're on your own...

Just your gummint lookin' after you...
    Doug