i need help with an old miller thunderbolt 225
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

i need help with an old miller thunderbolt 225

so im new on here looked around a bit and i think im postin this up under the right section so, sorry if im not. i got an old miller thunderbolt 225 style 706-a4 the other day for the crazy price of someone telling me to put it in my car before they threw it in the dumpster my first stick welder and its older than i am wondering if anyone on here has any info on these welders (good, bad, any info very much appreciated) i have no stinger or ground clamp so any info on what size plugs fit the front. im tring to find the owners manual on millers site but though id ask on here too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: i need help with an old miller thunderbolt 225

Welcome to the forum Matt and congratulations on the welder score. I rescued one from the scrap yard too that was rebadged by Miller for 'Chemetron'. Not as good looking as yours as the original Chemetron yellow was painted over with red that is peeling so it's in need of a makeover. Not my first go to for a welder as I have plenty others and as I said I only have it because I rescued it from the scrap pile to the tune of $50 with short leads.

It sounds like you've figured out to go here http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php for a unit manual by selecting 'Thunderbolt 225', enter its SN and click 'Search'. What is the unit SN btw?

These units are a simple transformer AC weld output only with a sliding transformer core (that's what the crank controls) to adjust output amperage. Pretty basic unit and if it's in working condition should serve you well as a first welder.

You can get output cable plugs here https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...:8:UNDEF::::PA for only $6.55 each (Scroll down to 'LENCO Machine Plugs' - Miller Style PNs 05080 and 05081). Or you can get genuine Miller items here http://miller4less.com/advanced_sear...09e21&x=8&y=12 for almost twice as much at $11.65 each.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 04-17-2010 at 09:47 AM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

hey thanks for the info im taking the welder to my welding classes on monday to tear it apart and see if it works so hopefully it does its spotless clean inside of it. the serial number on it i havent found yet on the front it says its a style number 706-a4 if that means anything but where might i find a serial number ive turned the thing every which way and havent found it? and the only manuals that have been coming up on millers site are the one with the amperage crank on the top of the machine.
    thanks for the links to the plugs im gonna borrow a set on monday to see if it work and if it does ill order some and build some leads.

do these machines run 7018 or 6013 well?
    thanks agin for the help.

Matt, welcome and that little welder is the very first one my dad bought for us boys, believe it was in 1969. We used it on the home place for years; building some pens, gates and misc. stuff. My brother still has the welder and is still in working condition as to this day. Believe the only thing we ever had to do to it was change the plugs where you insert your welding and ground leads. As long as you don't get on it hard..constant high heat..that thing will serve you well. I have one with the crank on the top and it looks new and runs great, bought it in about 82 or 83; general maintenance and those will be something to keep in your shop and family. Good luck.
    J/R

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H View Post
    hey thanks for the info im taking the welder to my welding classes on monday to tear it apart and see if it works so hopefully it does its spotless clean inside of it. the serial number on it i havent found yet on the front it says its a style number 706-a4 if that means anything but where might i find a serial number ive turned the thing every which way and havent found it? and the only manuals that have been coming up on millers site are the one with the amperage crank on the top of the machine.
    thanks for the links to the plugs im gonna borrow a set on monday to see if it work and if it does ill order some and build some leads.

do these machines run 7018 or 6013 well?
    thanks agin for the help.
    I think you may have to contact Miller Tech Services to track down the correct manual as I was unsuccessful in finding it on the site too. Probably due to its age/SN format. ???

As for running 7018 and 6013, no problem just make it 7018AC or you won't be able to keep it going. In fact, funny you should ask 'cause I dragged my Chemetron version out and burnt a few of each before coming in from the shop tonight.
    Name:  IMG_3429.jpg
Views: 5981
Size:  93.5 KB
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

@jr thanks for the help, i knew when i saw the welder sitting there it was in good shape and i know how these old millers just dont seem to die. im real big on the maintnence side already wiped all the grease off/out of it lubed the fan and gonna build up some leads for it this week and my local welding shop has the plugs for the machine too so im just gonna switch them out while i have it open to fix a wire that i can see is grounding from the 220 power lead inside old wires i guess.

@Duaneb55 thank you so much for the info i very much appreciate it. im gonna go pick up all of the cable and lugs to build the stinger and ground clamps on monday so ill pick up some of the AC rods too hopefully i can have so picks of welds up by the end of the week. i already have the number to the miller service line also somethin im taking care of to get the manual the oldest machine i found on there site in the serial referance was to 78 or 79.

on ur machine how do u use the two terminals on the left (High and Low), What amps do i need to switch from low to high or does it not really matter just currious not sure how they work?

Just starting out I'd suggest getting your feet wet with some 6013 first as it starts and runs easier then try the 7018AC. Others may have a different opinion on that though.

Basically you can use either the 'Low' or 'High' output plug for most of what you'd be doing with this machine and just adjust to the appropriate amp setting. As the note at the top of the Low scale states, use the 'High' side for anything over 150amps due to the capacity of the 'Low' transformer tap. As youcan see, the 'Low' scale allows for a little better fine tuning of the output current. If you eventually get your hands on a manual, it should offer a detailed description of when. where and how. You can also check out the learning aids on the Miller site. A lot of good stuff there.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

yah i have a bit of experiance with stick welding ive used both i just plain like 6013 better anyway, il probably get some of both

and still working on getting the manual from miller.

I got one of those sitting at my grandfathers shop. Great little AC machine. Beats a lincoln tombstone any day of the week.
    Lincoln
    300 Vantage 2008
    300 Commander 1999
    SA250 1999
    SA200 1968

Miller
    Syncrowave 200
    XMT350MPA/S-52E/xr-15
    Xtreme 12vs
    Millermatic 251 w/30A
    Millermatic 251
    Dialarc 250

Hypertherm 1250
    GEKA & Bantom Ironwokers

glad to hear its a good machine guess it was a better score than i realized. i just got the owners manual from miller and hopefully if the plugs for the front come in i will be burrning some 6013 with it tomarow

I have a Chemetron HD1. I have a download for the Thunderbolt 706-A4 Operation and Maintenance Manual. It looks the same and has the same specs. I will send the file to anyone who requests it

Try some 7014 rods. Youll like em especially on flat welds
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Talking Re: i need help with an old miller thunderbolt 225

Quote Originally Posted by crabman View Post
    I have a Chemetron HD1. I have a download for the Thunderbolt 706-A4 Operation and Maintenance Manual. It looks the same and has the same specs. I will send the file to anyone who requests it
    Hi,
    I have the Airco 225 amp MSM Stinger which looks EXACTLY like the welder you call the Chemetron HD1 and the Thunderbolt 225. I went to the website for Miller and was only able to find something that said Thunderbolt 225 but was an upright version. Fortunately, I have been "inside" this beast (being a surgeon I do that sort of thing) and the "innards" are very similar (I guess primarily because of the variable amperage adjustment)
    At any rate, if you would be so kind as to send the "specs/docs" to icu4dzs@gmail.com I would be very appreciative!
    Thanks so much
    //BT//
    Trim sends

I can not say enough good things MillerMatic 175th This is the perfect size for use at home only requires 110V, but they can easily sticking 16/03 steel and has a 1 / 4 steel, if you really want it to go more. I hate to use a wčlde staff, the mig.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt H View Post
    glad to hear its a good machine guess it was a better score than i realized. i just got the owners manual from miller and hopefully if the plugs for the front come in i will be burrning some 6013 with it tomarow
    So I realize this is an old thread BUT am wondering if the original poster has an update does it work and does he love it like I do mine????
    Miller thunderbolt 250
    Decastar 135E
    Recovering tool-o-holic
    ESAB OA
    I have been interested or involved in Electrical, Fire Alarm, Auto, Marine, Welding, Electronics ETC to name a just a few. So YES you can own too many tools.

Anyone have a good link to buy the electrode holder and ground w/cables, with the old pin style connectors? Or just the pin style connectors by themselves? The link above by duaneb55 is "dead". I'm selling my old AC Thunderbolt 225 to a young guy for $50 and was trying to find him some economy weld leads. Surprised at how expensive they are.

just the lenco numbers that duane55 listed.https://weldingsupply.securesites.ne...UNDEF:OR:05080
    Hobart T225
    HF 151/2 Cap mod
    HF 131/2 Cap mod
    Miller Cricket XL
    Century Portable Mig
    O/A

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewelders View Post
    just the lenco numbers that duane55 listed.https://weldingsupply.securesites.ne...UNDEF:OR:05080

Awesome, Thanks!