10-3 wire to a 3 prong receptacle
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

10-3 wire to a 3 prong receptacle

So im currently setting up my 250v outlet to run my Welder. My question is im using 10-3, so ive obv. got my black and red power wires that connect to each of the 2 pins, but then ive got the ground, and the common. ( bare wire and white insl. wire ) Where do i put these 2 wires? im hearing a few different stories and would like to know the best way to do this? some are telling me to combine them on the ground prong of the receptacle, someones telling me just leave the common alone as its not needed, and others are telling me one of them needs to be grounded on the box where the receptacle goes into?

can someone please give me a definite answer to where the ground ( bare ) wire goes and where the common ( white ) wire goes?

* The ground pin on my receptacle is labeled 'green'

Re: 10-3 wire to a 3 prong receptacle

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1137 View Post
    So im currently setting up my 250v outlet to run my Welder. My question is im using 10-3, so ive obv. got my black and red power wires that connect to each of the 2 pins, but then ive got the ground, and the common. ( bare wire and white insl. wire ) Where do i put these 2 wires? im hearing a few different stories and would like to know the best way to do this? some are telling me to combine them on the ground prong of the receptacle, someones telling me just leave the common alone as its not needed, and others are telling me one of them needs to be grounded on the box where the receptacle goes into?

can someone please give me a definite answer to where the ground ( bare ) wire goes and where the common ( white ) wire goes?

* The ground pin on my receptacle is labeled 'green'
    What connections are needed on the welder????? You must wire for the welder needs.

im not sure what you mean by that, this is for a Diversion 165 welder. It has a 3 prong plug, i bought the appropriate recepticle.

Hi Tim,

someones telling me just leave the common alone as its not needed
    True; the power is delivered on the red and black wires; the neutral (white) does nothing.
    I suggest you just tape up both ends of the white wire so they can't touch anything - at the panel and at the receptacle.

The ground pin on my receptacle is labeled 'green'
    You need to connect the bare wire (ground) to that green ground pin on your receptacle.

Most often a run like this is made using 10-2 red heater cable (black, red and bare ground wire).
    However I have seen regular 10-2 cable used (black, white, bare ground wire); in that case:
    - black is a power wire as per usual
    - there is no neutral wire: white becomes the 'red' power wire: both ends of 'white' wire are tapped with red tape for about a couple inches so anyone knows it is now a 'red' power wire.
    - bare ground wire is per usual

I hope that helps,
    Rick V

Yup you should have used just a 10-2 romex, two hots and your ground.

but like Rick V said just tye them off fold them a side.
    HOBART IronMan 230 MIG
    Smith Lifetime WH200 HD O/A Torch

dammit, guess i spent extra money on the 10-3 for nothing... oh well thanks for all the advice guys my question is answered!

But with the neutral their the option for a 120v receptacle is open if you would ever need one in that area.
    HOBART IronMan 230 MIG

im not sure what you mean by that, this is for a Diversion 165 welder. It has a 3 prong plug, i bought the appropriate recepticle.
    So the welder needs the 2 hots and ground, no neutral. Right?

i guess so?

i ran into another issue now.... i have a Seimens 200 Amp breaker box. i pulled the cover off to look underneath and noticed both of my bars where the ground goes are labelled neutral. theres a bar on the left and a bar on the right, which one do i put my ground wire on?

Both are not neutral one has to be is ground,look for the bare wire that has the unshielded plan bare copper wires thats your ground lug,the lug with the white shielding wires is your neutral.

your welder should only have three wires needed,two hots and a ground.
    HOBART IronMan 230 MIG

both of the bars have unshielded copper wires, and white wires going into them.

the bar to the left, has a thick copper wire leaving the box and it goes about halfway through the house before it dissapears itno the floor

the bar to the right. has a very very thick ( larger ) unshielded wire ( silver in color, not copper) that just goes right outside the house.

im stumped here. which should i connect my ground wire too?

both of the bars have unshielded copper wires, and white wires going into them.

the bar to the left, has a thick copper wire leaving the box and it goes about halfway through the house before it dissapears itno the floor

the bar to the right. has a very very thick ( larger ) unshielded wire ( silver in color, not copper) that just goes right outside the house.

im stumped here. which should i connect my ground wire too?
    can you post a pic?

wtf somebody's been in there screwing things up ground and neutrals do not go with each other unless room is a factor.

cant say for sure but sounds like your left bus that's ground(hence the "thick copper wire leaving the box") and your right is neutral.

your ground would go to the left but hold off till someone else jumps in and confirms but i think thats it.
    HOBART IronMan 230 MIG

Ok just snapped these pictures, as you can see, there are both white and bare wires going to each bar. the left bar has the copper wire leaving it, which heads through the house and dissapears into the floor, and the right side bar has that huge silver wire going up and heads out of the house.

i did however make a mistake, i just notcied both bars ARE connected by a metal bar up top.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...im1137/008.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...im1137/009.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...im1137/010.jpg

Well dunno i stand by my above comments on how mine is wired,attach it to the left side.
    HOBART IronMan 230 MIG

The way that particular box is set up it appears like each bar is a combination neutral/ground buss. That "silver" wire on the right going up will be your designated neutral from the electrical system. The large stranded copper on the left going down will be your designated grounding conductor going to your grounding electrode and/or ufer.

Oops. Just read the other thread.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Ok just snapped these pictures, as you can see, there are both white and bare wires going to each bar. the left bar has the copper wire leaving it, which heads through the house and dissapears into the floor, and the right side bar has that huge silver wire going up and heads out of the house.

i did however make a mistake, i just notcied both bars ARE connected by a metal bar up top.

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...im1137/008.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...im1137/009.jpg
    http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/c...im1137/010.jpg
    I assume this a main panel????? the ground rod wire and the power company neutral are tied together, right.

It looks like both ground bars are bonded to the panel.

As I understand the code the neutrals and ground can be together in the main panel only, sub panels must be separate. ( I am not an electrician )

The bare copper wire on the left is your ground. It is most likely going to a ground rod that is driven into the ground some place. The aluminum bare wire on the right is you neutral bar. This is part of the service entrance cable that is comming into the home from the electrical meter. This wire will aslo be grounded at the electrical pole. Tie you hot legs (black and red wire) into the 2 hot terminals of the plug. Tie the ground wire into the ground lug (round peg) of the 3 plug, you can either tie / tape off the white wire or you can tie it into the ground also, it will not matter, but you most likely will not have the room for both wires (bare copper ground & White wire) to tie together on the round plug. If you are not sure call the nearest "LICENSED" electrician. It may be the best $100.00 you spend, and you will have the peace of mind knowing that it is wired right.

Mine has the neutrals and grounds all together. Which is fine even the main power neutral on the poles are grounded.
    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/e12012bd.jpg
    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/9a661345.jpg
    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...e/dd514002.jpg
    Hobbyist of welding mainly automotive
    Miller Dynasty 200
    Millermatic 185

. . .Tie the ground wire into the ground lug (round peg) of the 3 plug, you can either tie / tape off the white wire or you can tie it into the ground also, it will not matter. . . .
    The neutral conductor shouldn't be connected to share or parallel the equipment ground conductor. It's a Code no-no on several points, but most importantly the improper neutral/ground connection creates a potential for a ground loop and for the welder's frame to carry neutral current.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 04-25-2010 at 01:42 PM.