Can Someone tell me what type of acetylene tank this is?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Can Someone tell me what type of acetylene tank this is?

To make a long story short I am trying to put together a oxy/act cutting rig for some projects around the house. Just hobby type stuff nothing really major. I bought my house a year ago it had a shed behind it that had some oxy/act cylinders in it 3 actylene of various sizes and 2 oxygen cylinders that are the same size. So I been eyeing the cylinders and 1 oxygen is out of date and 2 acetylene cylinders are out of date. Then I also find out that if the cylinders have a company name on them no one will exchange or fill them 1 acetylene has a name stamped on it that I dont recognize 1 oxygen cylinder has a name in raised letters on the neck ring. The other oxygen cylinder has nothing on it no name or anything but it is out of date. So I have to get it tested then maybe possibly filled 1 of the larger acetylene cylinder has nothing and it is out of date. Then there is this smaller acetylene cylinder that is not within date and has a weird valve on top that will not accept a normal acetylene regulator what is this acetylene cylinder for?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by fatrat; 04-30-2010 at 01:27 AM.

Re: Can Someone tell me what type of acetylene tank this is?

Howdy Fatrat

That's a "B" cylinder.
    Most commonly used with air/acetylene (ie Turbotorch) torches. Regulator adapter fittings are readily available making the cylinder workable with most any acetylene regulator or process.

Good Luck

Well call me stupid but i think i just answered my own question i was looking around online and discovered that it is a "B" tank 40 cu ft and the do make a adaptor that you can screw on to use a regular acetylene regulator. The only other question is....Does anyone have any idea how long a bottle this size would last I know it depends on use but just trying to get some idea before i spend money ($20) getting it tested then buying a adaptor to use the regular regulator I aleready have.

Home > By Manufacturer > Western Enterprises > Western Cylinder Adaptors >Brass Cylinder Adaptors CGA-520 B Tank 312-317 Western Brass Cylinder Adaptors CGA-520 B Tank

Our Price: $8.16 / Each

Mfg Part Number: 317
    Manufacturer: WESTERN ENTERPRISES
    Weight: 1
    Pack: Each

Quantity in Stock: 100
    Availability: Usually Ships in 3 to 4 Business Days
    Product Code: 312-317 Qty:

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Howdy Fatrat

That's a "B" cylinder.
    Most commonly used with air/acetylene (ie Turbotorch) torches. Regulator adapter fittings are readily available making the cylinder workable with most any acetylene regulator or process.

Good Luck
    Thanks bro i thought i was on to something and now you just gave me the thumbs up so i know I'm close to putting it together. Appreciate that Cooking with gas now!

Plumbers use those B tanks a lot. My supplier exchanges them with no re-test fee, even if way out of date. Costs $20-30 to get a full one. They cannot fill yours, you must get an exchange. Its a very usable size tank, unlike MC tanks which empty way too fast, but will not supply enough gas for a rosebud, or large tip (I'd say about up to a Victor size 1 would be ok).

Ok so here is another dumb question I guess. I was messing with the tanks and I notice a couple seem heavier than others so I crack the valvles and two have pressure on them one oxy and one acetylene so hook up the regulators and torch to get a reading but then i remembered I dont know what a full tank is supposed to read so there is my problem and below are the pics. Forgive my stupidity

Those are pretty small, they will empty fast. If you are only going to be heating and cutting, not welding, I would consider using oxy/propane. You will just need a propane tip for your torch and a BBQ LP cylinder. Then sell those B acet. cylinders to an HVAC guy.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Those are pretty small, they will empty fast. If you are only going to be heating and cutting, not welding, I would consider using oxy/propane. You will just need a propane tip for your torch and a BBQ LP cylinder. Then sell those B acet. cylinders to an HVAC guy.
    Only one of the tanks is that size the other four are all larger but having trouble reading the date on bottles and interpreting the size will try to post pics. I was also told that could not use the acetylene regulator I have and I could not use the hose that I already have. so does that mean that I have to purchase a new regulator for propane and hose and tip and how much would all that run me?
    Last edited by fatrat; 04-30-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Here are the rest of the pics

I use acet regs with propane. The only disadvantage is the outlet pressure. However that point is mute since I do not run large tips, as in size 8 and above. 99% of my work is with 0, 1 and 2 size tips. As far as the hose, you should get a grade "T" in order to follow the rules. I do not condone using grade "R" hoses with propane, even though that is what I use and have used. However when I replace my current hoses I will purchase grade "T".
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Thanks for the info "Stick-man" and everyone else who responded to my questions it is much appreciated.