Converting scrap metal in to a heavy duty vice
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Converting scrap metal in to a heavy duty vice

Hi all, I had a pile of scrap metal which I had been collecting for a while and needed to move some of it as it was getting in the way and I was wondering what to due with it. Anyway I was thinking about it and while I was using the old vice, the thread to tighten it was playing up and the old light bulb lit up. I needed a heavy duty vice!!!

So here are some pics of the process from junk steel to goodies:

Pic 1 & 2. Had some wide channel with 12mm sidewall 180mm x 79mm which I reduced to 100mm x 70mm, took out the required width with thin cutting disks on a 5" angle grinder and welded it back together on both sides.

Pic 3, built the back out of some 12mm flat

Pic 4, welded up the C channel with a piece of 12mm plate drilled with a 32mm hole flush inside the channel, "V" grooved and welded both sides, added another 12mm plate with 30mm hole in front of it and flush over the outer sides of the C channel, effectively making the front 24mm thick.

I will have to do several posts because of the number of images.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Miller Auto Invision 456 + S-62 wire feeder
    C6240B1 Gap bed lathe
    16 ft3 air compressor
    16 speed pedestal drill
    Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw

Re: Converting scrap metal in to a heavy duty vice

Pic 5. Had a large steel rod with 30mm x 3.5mm thread on both ends, so cut off the required length, drilled 35mm? hole in a 10mm plate and then made a washer out of it to do the driving plate, lathed out a section in the rod so I could fill it up with weld and then turn it down flush. The metal rod thickness on the other side of the washer is wider than the hole.

Pic 6. welded the rod and filled the gap with plenty of amps and Voltage, about 350A and 30V. Plenty of penetration.

Pic 6a. Welded 3 nuts togeter to make onelong nut to give extra squashing power without risk of ripping the threads out, welded a small plate to a section of 16mm base plate, welded the joined long nut to that plate and then also welded a 10mm plate to the sides of the nut and also to the baseplate.

Pic 7. Basic stage 1 level 1 complete with bar through the rod for turning,

Pic 8. 12mm Web reinforcing of the first half, The 2 angled pieces were formed by grooving out a wide V section, bending to required angle then welding the groove to fill it up and then welding all around to the c channel. I lost couple of pics so there is more work done than shown, there is a 16mm plate cut for the front wall angled to make it an offset vice and an across to the top of it for the temp placement of the jaws, I actually had to use it as I was building it due to the other one playing up.
    C6240B1 Gap bed lathe
    16 ft3 air compressor
    16 speed pedestal drill
    Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw

Pic 9 and 11. (10 was renamed to 6a for better sequencing). Weld on the inside of the vice where that plate joins the c channel. 330A and 28V, all plates on this vice are deeply grooved before welding due to the thickness of them. I had to use the jaws from the old chuck while building this new one so I could use it during it's construction.
    Pic 12

Pic 13. 16mm plate gets added to the top, welded to the webbing all round and a 12mm plate gets welded to the sides all around to tie it all in
    Pic 13a. repeated it all to do the back of the vice. Added a 16mm section at the rear of the back for use as a anvil, so that section is now 28mm thick, (should take a decent amount of hammering). Here is the first level completed and lugs for the bolts welded to the bottom, there is another bolt hole hidden from view at the back of the plate for bolting down the back of the vice.
    C6240B1 Gap bed lathe
    16 ft3 air compressor
    16 speed pedestal drill
    Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw

Pic 13B and 14. The two sections complete to the first level

Pic 15. Vice nearly complete, slight surface rust due to the condensation from all the rain we had, didn't work on it for a week
    Have added another level. Similar to before and moved the jaws up, added webbing, and welded an angled side and top. This gives clearance when doing tap threading on it so you don't remove skin when turning tapping taps ect.

Pic 16. Made some changes, changed the handle holder to a square end. This was due to the arrival of my new (used) lathe which enabled me to do it, filled the the handle hole with weld, and lathed it down. Drilled out a larger hole in a 50mm square steel bar to fit over the rod. Placed it over the end and welded it to the rod and also welded the end closed. V'd the ends and added another section of v'd 50mm steel block with a drilled hole for a thicker handle, filled the deep v join between the two blocks flush, ground and sanded flat. There is also another 8mm washer on the inside locked in by a through bolt which pulls out the vice as you turn the handle to open it up

And finally a paint job to complete it, all pretty now, seems a pity to scratch it up and damage the paint by using it. I think it was a good use of scrap metal which I scrounged out of a recycle bin from a local steel fabricator, total material cost about $60 in wire, gas, paint, 5" cut-off wheels, and a lot of labour but well worth it, should be able to crush steel pipe ends without too much trouble. Total weight about 46Kg and no way is the tread/nut going to wear out on this one!!!

Anything I would do different if I would do it again, Yes,.... now I have a large lathe I would bore out a hole out of a 50mm square steel and thread that instead of using 3 welded nuts. Much simpler and stronger! but I didn't have that at the time so I used what I had.
    C6240B1 Gap bed lathe
    16 ft3 air compressor
    16 speed pedestal drill
    Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw

A work of art! At first I could not figure out why the offset .Then the light bulb went on! you are a smart fellow.

Looking twice at it. I think I would have spent some cash for acme threads.
    Then it will last for several generations.
    Why don't vice manufacturers put grease zercs on the nuts?

WOW, I love home made tools! This is great!
    HH187
    Hobart 500i plasma cutter
    Clark 4.5" Grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw
    30 gallom 1.6 hp compressor
    10 gallon pressure pot sand blaster
    lots of hand tools

that is great wotk

Thanks for posting the progress photos, that's a killer vise. I like big vises, but never thought about building one. I'm going to check out my scrap pile.

Stuff like this is why i love this site

That's brilliant, Ed!!! The offset jaws are super smart!
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Very cool vice. The offset is brilliant! Nice paint. Good job.

Excellent work, that looks great!
    Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by 1-800miner View Post
    Looking twice at it. I think I would have spent some cash for acme threads.
    Then it will last for several generations.
    Why don't vice manufacturers put grease zercs on the nuts?
    Acme threads aren't all that $$$$$$$

There's not alot of room for grease in a normal thread fit. I think making a small chamber on one end or the other of the nut would allow you to pump it full of grease and keep more in there.

Very, very, very, NICE!

Mmmmm. That's got me thinking.
    Nicely made
    G

now that is a work of art. i want one.

nicely done !! That's cool better than pron !!

Daye

O K FINE! i give, whats the off-set for?

more versatility in what you can clamp... have never seen this feature in any commercial made vise

Quote Originally Posted by grnxrymnky View Post
    O K FINE! i give, whats the off-set for?
    Last edited by _CY_; 05-11-2010 at 05:22 AM.
    52, 59 & 66 Lincoln SA200, Tombstone Idealarc 250, Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 50, Marquette 250 amp mig, Miller 330 A/BP

kudos
    -Graham-
    Mechanical Engineer
    Autosport Mechanic/Fabricator

It's brilliant. Might want to look into patenting it. Though might be screwed by putting it out in public domain.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Dawn make offset vices.

Quote Originally Posted by bert the welder View Post
    It's brilliant. Might want to look into patenting it. Though might be screwed by putting it out in public domain.
    Hi, You would be suprised as to what is out there and patented, but not nessecarily in production or available in an area. An item may be commercially produced but for some reason or other not available due to marketing or production reasons. I investigated the patenting procedure for something I invented about 2 years ago, to do a proper patent on anything would cost about $10000 and that is only for Australia, to do one in the States would be about $20000-40000 and so on for every country that you would want to patent it in, and someone still could contest it. Oh! and patent lawyers charge like a wounded bull, you think normal lawyers are bad wait till you see the rates that these guys charge. My wallet seems a bit light for that sort of cash outflow, without any guaranty that I would make any money out of it, I ended up doing a design patent which ended up about $2000 including the searches and still haven't made any money out of it. A friend of mine said he had a brilliant idea and was planning on making a fortune making it. Said he hasn't seen anything like it out there, I did a search and came up with 2 other patents that covered the same sort of thing. That's life! You learn or you go broke LOL.
    C6240B1 Gap bed lathe
    16 ft3 air compressor
    16 speed pedestal drill
    Hafco BS-912 Bandsaw

I'd be proud to have that on my bench. Nice work!
    If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.