welding expanded metal to 3/16" angle iron
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

welding expanded metal to 3/16" angle iron

Any advice on welding 3/4"X9 expanded metal to 1.5X1.5X3/16"thick angle iron? I'm still learning how to mig weld and have never had to weld such different materials together yet.

Re: welding expanded metal to 3/16" angle iron

Start your weld on the 3/16" angle and move it on to the exp. metal. As soon as it fuses with the exp. metal quit welding right then.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Old timer is right.

Make sure it is clamped close and tight to the angle though. To make perfect "spot" welds, try a couple of test areas first and gauge the time to make the spot weld by counting....onethousandone, onethousand two....until the weld is perfectly spotted and filled.

If you are consistent with your welding technique you should be able to make tidy and neat looking spot welds with this method, with very little deviation. I would avoid trying to make long "seam" welds along the entire length of the expanded metal, and would favor the spot weld method.
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205

When I was recently welding expanded metal to angle iron with my stick welder I did just as oldtimer said. Start on the angle iron and once you get your pool then pull it up onto the expanded metal and then stop real quick. After a couple practice spots you should have it no problem. I am an ehhhhh welder at best, so if I can do it i am sure you can!

The same basic technique applies to thin guage sheet to heavier plate.

Thanks for the help, just a kid trying to learn how to stick and mig. Remember measure once, cut twice.

Quote Originally Posted by andystamey View Post
    Remember measure once, cut twice.
    That's for woodies. Welders say measure once, get it right the first time, dammit!
    HAR HAR HAR
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Meshtec expanded metal is one of the most versatile products in the Cadisch MDA expanded metal range offering durable transparency with high airflow and easy installation.

For more please visit: http://www.cadischmda.com/meshtec.asp

zol di schtippen en tuchas

Democratic People's Republic of North Koreafornia

double post.
    Last edited by SuperArc; 06-19-2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: double post
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

Life member: NRA

I just finished a gate I built for the side of the house. I used expanded metal on square tube. The expanded metal was very difficult to spot weld on the square tube because the expanded metal was thin.

Thankfully, BEFORE I actually welded on my gate, I used scrap pieces of expanded metal on scrape square tube. Boy did I burn up and literally "vaporize" some of the expanded metal with my little 110v Lincoln Mig welder. So, I continually practiced with different settings until I got it right.

That being said, I still wasn't happy with the spot welds. So, I came up with another idea. I took small little washers I bought at Home Depot. I bought a baggie of around 50 of the, smaller than the diameter of a dime. I put a slight bend in each washer using two pliers. Almost folding the washers like a small taco shell (...for a lack of better terms). Then I placed the slightly bent washer over the expanded metal and tack welded each washer side to the square tubing. The bent washers acted like a brace to securly hold the expanded metal.

When I was done, the expanded metal looked like it was professionally rivited to the gate. It was a bit more time consuming, but it worked and I didn't tear up the expanded metal for the spot welds.

I'd post a picture of it, but currently the gate is at the electro-plater for a zinc "base coat," then off to the powder coater......
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

How frequently do you typically apply spot weld to fasten Expanded Metal to your posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud62 View Post
    How frequently do you typically apply spot weld to fasten Expanded Metal to your posts?
    My gate was just under 7 foot tall x 5 foot wide. I placed a tac weld with the washers roughly every 14 inches or so down each square tube starting at the top of the gate.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh