Eastwood Mig Welders?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Eastwood Mig Welders?

Whats the deal with these welders from Eastwood? Who makes them? must be junk for a 175 for $500 with a spool gun, anybody else seen these before? Looks like a older lincoln to me

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-welders

Re: Eastwood Mig Welders?

90% of eastwood stuff is over priced
    and i mean way over priced shop around

Eastwood sent me their new list of those welders.

The 135A unit was on Ebay for the last year at about the $300 price tag,but I haven't seen the 175A unit before.

I contacted Eastwood asking for more specs about that unit...the reply was lame and non-commital with a link to the chart in their ad. I started to tell him I already read the ad that's why I contacted them,but figured what for. If they won't come across with info on them ...Keep 'em... I've got better welders in the shop... I just wanted info on the 175A machine because it comes with a spoolgun... nearest to it is a 210 HH w/spoolgun at about $900 from Northern Tools.

I'm pretty sure they are from China and had they offered more specs/info they might be a bargain in that level machine with the spoolgun... even a cheap SG runs $200... I don't care for ambiguous ads or answers to direct questions.

EASTWOOD is an abbreviation for selling crap to slow witted ignorant people with charge cards!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart View Post
    EASTWOOD is an abbreviation for selling crap to slow witted ignorant people with charge cards!
    I wouldn't be to hard on them. They do have a cool selection of stuff I use.

They even have some tooling that I cannot find around locally. So they are very good for me.

Actually a lot of their stuff is old tried and true stuff, that I have used since I was a kid. But you cannot find it locally anymore. Around here stores open and close so fast, that you never know if you are going to be able to get stuff you need.

EastWood has come through, for me many times with specialized buffing compounds, and wheels. They can get it to you very quickly.
    They have a really neat string buffing wheel that you can even shine PVC to a mirror with, and not burn it. You can shine plastic car parts too with it. Very cool device and a great idea. I did a piece for a company that I used to work for, a see through cover made of plexi glass, that was going into a show, and it was a joy to lay into the face of it, with the string wheel and not burn it.

They actually have some really great stuff. I am sorry you did not like what you got. But for me they are awesome.

This is a project I did with the polishing wheel and special plastic polish I got from them.

Check out the string wheel I got from them a couple years ago. Cool movie. I know so many guys that have smeared plastic like that into a black glob. This is a really cool product. They have a lot of products like this.

http://www.Rockwelder.com/EastWood/String/String.html

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Hi guys,

I wanted to clear up a few of the concerns on our new Eastwood welders that I've seen mentioned her and on a handful of other forums.

1.These are NOT rebadged or rebranded welders made by another large company for us with our name on it.
    -These welders we designed and tested in house here at Eastwood. They were designed to be EQUIVALENT to the Lincoln Mig Pak 10 (our 135) and the Mig Pak 15 (our 175). We oversaw every step of the production process to make sure these were designed to our specs and expectations. Our main concern is to give you a welder that is built to the same specs and quality as a industrial welder, but priced towards a serious hobbyist.
    -We go so far as to back our welders with a 3 year warranty. That is backed by Eastwood Company, not by a 3rd party company, like people seemed to be confused about. We didn't begin offering these for a "quick buck", in fact we are working on designing further products to add to our welding product line (can you say affordable TIG and Plasma cutters?)

2. Consumables- Our welders are made with a Tweco style gun (the same as most major companies including Lincoln use). Therefore all consumable parts (nozzle, tips, etc) are available at any local welding supply store. We are enthusiasts here ourselves, and we know the frustration of needing a part or supplies halfway through the job and not being able to get it! (for me this past weekend it was running out of mig wire at 5:30PM on a Sunday and realizing the only local "Farm" store that would have wire closed at 5 )

3.These welders were not the ones you may have seen on Ebay a year ago for sale. Those were simply another company's welder we were retailing under their name. These welders are brand new welders that we designed from step 1. Any other welders you may have seen previously were before we began manufacturing our welders.

If you guys have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them!

***In fact I can offer anyone that is on the fence about one of our welders the chance to try it for 30 days with a hassle free return policy. Buy it, use it to weld your rusty project car, patch a frame on the same project, your sons go-kart, your fence in your yard, your neighbor's shed doors, whatever... If you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations (which I highly doubt!), than give us a call and we will be gladly take it back and refund your money.***

Hope that cleared up a few questions and concerns.

-Matt/EW

That's an intelligent straightforward response that I would have expected from Eastwood instead of the response I received to my original email to them about these welders.

I've purchased items from Eastwood in the past for doing lead bodywork on a '55 Thunderbird as well as other misc. items. The email I got about these welders gave me the impression Eastwood did not want to give particulars on them and didn't have any concerns about my concerns over them.

I "Thank You" for taking the time to come here and respond to the questions raised over these machines.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbugone View Post
    That's an intelligent straightforward response that I would have expected from Eastwood instead of the response I received to my original email to them about these welders.

I've purchased items from Eastwood in the past for doing lead bodywork on a '55 Thunderbird as well as other misc. items. The email I got about these welders gave me the impression Eastwood did not want to give particulars on them and didn't have any concerns about my concerns over them.

I "Thank You" for taking the time to come here and respond to the questions raised over these machines.
    Sorry to hear you had a response through email that was less than "helpful". What email did you send the request to? Possibly someone that wasn't entirely clear on what info you needed specifically? Either way I am happy to answer questions, and would love to get one of these into a forum member's hands to try out and hear what they think. The spool gun is a pretty nice feature, and as you stated earlier.. no other welder at this price point offers one.

Thanks and hopefully I can participate (and lurk a bit) and learn a thing a two around these forums!

-Matt/EW

In addition here are 2 photos of a EARLY pre-mass production model we were testing and tweaking after receiving the prototype from our factory. This process is done with every product with the Eastwood logo on it.

I know Eastwood is a good company, they are always coming up with ways to help out the average guy. I actually started out my small powder coating shop with the hobby and pro powdercoat guns they sell, they worked good enough to get me started. I was just curious about these welders, thanks for all the info

That Diamond Clear from EastWood is crazy stuff. You can just put it on bare metal. And it coats the metal with a very hard finish. Great for brushed stainless steel that is getting rust deposits on it from rain water.

I have used it for stainless steel Hotel furniture as well. It keeps those shinny scratches from forming on the stainless steel.

I also use their Rust Preventer. You just spray it on metal that would have rusted to garbage, and it stays for months or years. It is just a wax and oil type of coating, that you can get off with paint prep solution that is made to take off wax.

They have extension shafts that have a floating plastic outer sleeve that you can hold while it is running. So you can get into impossible places with extreme, pressure on the sanding or grinding device. Very cool.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Matt;

If it's not too much trouble could you post pics of the wire feed area of these welders. I'd like to see better pics of the spoolgun attachment for the 175A machine as well.

I appreciate you taking time to supply more details to this conversation. I hope it leads others to take a closer look at these machines. It's a tough market to compete in I'm sure.

Sure no problem, the nice thing about having our R&D department in the same building is I can walk right over there, open one up (add some time to b.s. with the R&D guys in here somewhere), and snap some photos.

Matt, sent you a pm

Who got sent a PM ?

Thanks for the additional pics Matt....

If you go to any factory making aluminum or metal furniture. You will see they use spool guns. The reason is the jams, the time it takes to start and stop the wire, and the flex in the supply cable.

Some places use a push pull MIG system, I do. I would not knock that system. But by the time you get that all setup, you are talking about a lot of money. I mean a lot of money. And the cable with the water cooling weighs in at about 50 pounds for a 25 foot cable.

The spool gun is actually what you see in productive factories.

I don't see anything wrong with that system pictured there. The spool gun looks as nice as Miller's spool gun, for their mobile welders.

It looks like the power supply can go either way, MIG or spool gun. Looks very nice.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Well I am currently in the market for a new mig was lloking for a little bigger amchine comarable to at LEAST a 210 preferably a 250 but you got my attention with the 175 unless you have a bigger setup. can I get a set of the specs ie duty cycles an what nots for it. I ont weld heavy material usually 1/2 or less, most commonly 1/4 mild steel plate and 3/16 but they are LONG welds an the duty cylce is what I am going after the little mig I have now I usually shut down 3-4 times before I complete an item and it kills production to have to wait for it to cool down every time I get going. is it infinite voltage or is there preset posistions

Quote Originally Posted by rbmedic75 View Post
    Well I am currently in the market for a new mig was lloking for a little bigger amchine comarable to at LEAST a 210 preferably a 250 but you got my attention with the 175 unless you have a bigger setup. can I get a set of the specs ie duty cycles an what nots for it. I ont weld heavy material usually 1/2 or less, most commonly 1/4 mild steel plate and 3/16 but they are LONG welds an the duty cylce is what I am going after the little mig I have now I usually shut down 3-4 times before I complete an item and it kills production to have to wait for it to cool down every time I get going. is it infinite voltage or is there preset posistions
    I woudl not buy any of these small sized welder for production work. They just don't have the duty cycle needed. I'd look at something like a Millermatic 210/212 or bigger.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Quote Originally Posted by rbmedic75 View Post
    Ummm, dude, RTFM. The answers to your duty cycle question is right there.

The duty cycle answer is also right on the product web page. 30% duty cycle at 130 amps.

I can't tell for sure whether the voltage adjustment is stepped or continous. The manual doesn't say one way or another.

The manual -does- indicate or give the impression that the tip will be HOT whenever the unit is ON, not just when the trigger is depressed.

Regarding spool guns, like most things there are trade-offs. A spool gun does reduce feed problems with soft aluminum wire because it shortens and straightens the feed path down to less than a foot or so straight through. But it then limits you to just a 4 inch diameter spool of wire. And not all wire sizes and types may be available in a 4 inch spool. And on a price per pound basis, those little 4 inch spools are mighty expensive compared to a big 12 inch spool or a bigger industrial box or reel. And in a production setting, changing those little spools constantly is a productivity loss. And it is bigger and clunkier than just a 'plain' gun.

Regular push feeding of soft aluminum wire through a long gun cable is iffy and prone to birdnests and other feed problems. A solution to that is the push-pull gun set-up. With that kind of set-up, you can usually run the big diameter spools of wire. The total weight of a push-pull set-up is usually more than spool gun ,especially if you have a water-cooled gun. But you usually don't have to hold the entire weight, just the 'end' and some of the weight hanging off the back of the handle. Etc, etc, etc.

Trade-offs. You have to pick what trade-offs you can accept and what won't work for you or the job/task at hand.

The Eastwood 175 does not look like the right tool for heavy production welding IMHO. It looks a bit interesting in the 'class' it is positioned in (the 175-180 class), which to me is mostly gauge thickness work and sometimes doing some small amount of 'thicker' stuff. But it does NOT look like it has the power or duty cycle to crank out long welds on 1/4 inch + steel, that is the realm of the 250-class machines not really the 210-class. IMHO.

Pick the right tool for the job. Sometimes the trade-offs get you into a tool that can 'get by', but it might not be the 'optimum' tool for the task.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

The tips are hot when the trigger is pressed. Sounds like you did a decent job regarding the questions he had. Thanks much!

Reading the PM right now.

-Matt/EW

Is there a capacitor in those machines or some kind of capacitance? I know a lot of machines MIG machines stay charged, and will create an ARC if you touch the consumable wire in the torch to the work/ground. Even after the trigger is in the off position.

Maybe a little resistor across the terminals or something like that might take care of that. That might be what they mean, when they say the gun is still hot when the trigger is in the off position.

A well known compressor engineer suggests putting a resistor across start capacitors, when the device is found to loose ground a lot. Or has grounding issues. They tend to pop the start capacitors. With a resistor, the next time it starts, the capacitor is not still charged.

A capacitor with a charge in it, can double the voltage to the induction device, when power is applied again.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

thanks for the advise guys I have been looking at the 250 + classes the 212 or hobart 210 ironman would do what I need but like you said would be just fitting the bill I would really like to have the 250 so guess Ill be saving up for a little longer or digging a little deeper. I am stuck with single phase so it is what it is. Some of the welds I will be using this for will be 1/4" plate but its 91" long and gets welded top and bottom both sides. Not a continuos bead but 2" bead then 1" gap and so on so its a lot of weld and then 3/16 that has over 45" of weld, continuos on the outside and 2:1 on the inside. So my moment of saving money has passed now, thanks for keeping me on track. maybe subconsciously I was hoping he would say heck yeah we got a bad butt 250 coming out next week

I just want to ask if this kind of welding wire really effective. I don’t have any idea pertaining to welding system because my friend wants to fix his stainless cabinet but he doesn’t know what to do. Any advice? Thanks a lot.

Stainless steel MIG or Spool Gun is futile if you ask me. I don't like the gas mixes for stainless to get extra heat either.

Stainless does not like to be flash welded, unless you can get the right amount of amperage into it. Usually requiring straight polarity or what they call DCEN.

TIG is the only system that seems really geared to weld thin stainless perfectly.

ARC rods will do it. Because ARC rods are much larger in diameter then MIG wire. ARC rods can deliver the amperage to the part being welded. Doing 1/16" stainless is possible with an ARC rod. However it can be a pain. ARC rods and MIG run with the same polarity, TIG for stainless, uses the opposite polarity of MIG and ARC.

You can also run ARC rods like TIG or even in AC, but normally you would run them Reverse polarity what they call DCEP.

The only other system that I would consider is a MIG pulse spray system. I have never tried that on stainless steel. So I have to consider it.

I have used spool guns and MIG with stainless wire, and you just could not get enough heat into the stainless, like you could steel. No matter how much amperage. The reason the amperage does not help is because, the wire just burns back. Before you melt the stainless. And I am talking about 1/16" thick stainless steel. If you run more wire, more inches per minute, it just lays on top like bubble gum.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

I'm not familiar with the Eastwood name.

If it's a distributor with a US address, I'd look very hard at the product.

"Engineered Here" same deal, a good hard look.

The Lincoln 180amp machine comes with a little spoolgun, but at a much heftier price tag.

Lincoln, much to my regret, is also marketing stuff made overseas.

I suppose, if this goes on much longer, why not buy the cheapo crappo import If my red sheet metal contains all foriegn made crap, I figure I might as well go to the source, and buy cheap crap for cheap crap prices.

Shame on Lincoln, Hobart, and Miller. Y'all ain't pullin' the wool over our eyes.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"