Eastwood Mig Welders? - Page 4
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Eastwood Mig Welders?

Quote Originally Posted by dugndeep View Post
    Eastwoods say they are made in china on the front above the arrow
    Realgears have made in china on the front of them also
    I didn't mean that these welders were no good,just wanted everyone to know that they were made in china.I would probably end up purchasing one of these welders before I went out and spent $400 to $500 more dollars just for a name brand welder.Either one of these welders would suit my purpose just fine.I like the eastwood because of the warranty but they are identical in everything else.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I want to upgrade my welder to a 220V as well and this Eastwood 175 is very appealing in many ways. First it comes with a spool gun. Which is an extra cost with other brands. Second is the 3 year warranty. I could buy a used Lincoln 180c for the same price, but I am on my own if something should happen to it. I like the continuous voltage control. I have it on my Snap On and it is great to really tune the power to the task. I had a 90 amp HF flux welder for 2 months and hated it. Basically your power choice was either High or Low. Finally they shipped it for free.

After reading this thread and speaking with Eastwood's customer service, the 175 is at the top of my list.

Now that I have had my 175 for a couple of weeks, I have used it quite a bit. No regrets at all, this is a great welder for the DIYer.
    Tom

Hi I'm all new here and was reading about this Eastwood MIG. Could someone help me out on what else I need to buy with it for my welding needs. I want to weld some ss304 and also some 6061 aluminum. What wire and gas will I need for that.
    I might also do some 4130 pipe welding. So any inputs you guys have please let me know, as I haven't been doing much welding for quite some time now

Thanks Micael

I ordered the Eastwood 175 just after my post about this welder being at the top of my list. 5 weeks later it is still on back order and the arrival date keeps being put off. So I am canceling my order and just bought a Millermatic 211. The Miller should arrive long before the Eastwood, being the Eastwood is on a slow boat from China.
    Bill

Millermatic 211

1960 Ford Ranchero
    1975 Dodge B200

That's too bad they are out of stock but it is to be expected when you make a good product for a great price. I have had a chance to use mine quite a bit and still VERY happy with this welder!!
    Tom

I just called Eastwood and asked when they would get it in stock, that after seeing the date move from 1/17 to 1/20, and they told me middle of Feb so I better start looking for something else as I have things to weld. What other options do I have, and I really would like a spool gun

Regards Micael

I just checked too,1/20 on the 175 & 2/8 on the 135
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Yeah, but when you call them, they will tell you that the date is wrong and they won't get any until middle of Feb. I'm not sure I can wait that long and not sure I want to spend the money on a Miller, I'm looking at twice the money, and for the little I'm planing on using it, I'm not sure it is worth it

I couldn't wait any longer myself and bought a Miller 211. It was $450 more than the Eastwood 175 and it did not come with a spool gun. But I have to say that it is a great welder and I am completely satisfied with it. I will have to wait a few months to save up for the spool gun though. Best of all, I have possession of the welder.

Eastwood must be having some gnarly quality control issues with these MIG's to be pushing the availability date into the future as they have done for the past 7 weeks.
    Bill

Millermatic 211

1960 Ford Ranchero
    1975 Dodge B200

Must be on the same lost boat as Everlasts continually pushed back shipment...
    I wonder if I will be spanked for this one too!?!

Hey everyone, I noticed you guys were having some concerns about the backorder on our welders. I wanted to clue everyone in on what the current status was. First off – there are no issues with the quality of these welders whatsoever. It is true that because of the overall popularity of these welders we have been working hard to keep up with the demand, and have at times run out. We are working hard to make sure we have enough to meet future demand as their popularity continues to grow.

Another note for anyone that has a welder on backorder. We have had some discrepancies in our ship dates for filling these back orders because of an issue with the packaging of the welders. When we get new shipments of welders in from our factory, we put these units through various tests to try to recreate the way a box will be handled on its way to a customer. We found that the packaging did not meet our stringent requirements and are now repackaging them to make sure they get to you undamaged. We are not in the business of just “putting products out the door”. We want to make sure that you have a great experience from the time you click “Buy” to the time you run your first bead. Nothing is worse than anticipating something to come in the mail, only to find it broken or damaged in shipping. We want it to show up to you in one piece, rather than 5 pieces, even if it means an additional delay in the end. I promise it’s for the best!

I hope that I covered any of the concerns and questions in regards to the “WHY?!”. As for the “WHEN?!”, we are projected to have a decent amount of the MIG135 left after we repackage and ship the backorders (Approximately February 1). The 175 will be available by mid February. I must thank the members of this forum, and the contributors to this thread for their inquiries and information regarding our welders. I can honestly say that it has educated many customers that were interested in hearing about our welders aside from our website. We value informative, helpful forums like this, and what I’d like to do is extend the offer of FREE SHIPPING on ANY of our MIG welders to ALL members of the WeldingWeb forums. Simply type: “weldweb” into the coupon code box upon checkout on our website, and the normal shipping charges for welders shipped in the lower 48 will be waived for the next 30 days. This is a token of our gratitude for the invaluable information this thread/forum has provided for the welding trade in general, as well as on our MIG welders specifically.

As always, feel free to PM or email me directly at: mmurray@eastwood.com

Thanks! -Matt/EW

I am new here to weldingweb. Looking at posts for ideas for a good welder for my home shop as I am nearing retirement ( very quickly). I was curious about the Eastwood product and decided to go with the 135. This decision was based Largely on past experiences with Eastwood and the openness of company rep here on the forum.

I started playing with cars many decades ago as a kid. Since then I have made both a living and a hobby around Auto Restoration, served for a couple of years on the board of Mustang Club of America, Also I have spent the last 35 yrs. working as a Television Engineer in the Motorsports industry. All this is leading to is "Reputation is everything" and for my many decades of turning to Eastwood for Hobby and Pro restoration needs, I believe the Eastwood unit will do EXACTLY what is claimed by Company reps. The 135 is not a major Production unit meant to weld continuously for 8 hrs a day everyday. BUT, for a hobby or recreational restoration use machine, the features,Quality,capabilities, and price is perfect.

I am new here and was looking for trailer projects and found this thread. I wanted to add, as I have the smaller Eastwood, what my impressions were.

Pros:
    -Price (I got the hood, cart, and welder shipped to my house for 400.00)
    -Function (I'm not much of a welder, but I can do alright, my friend who has taken one class in high school made a beautiful filet weld on two pieces of 1/8" using the co/ar mix and .03 wire)

Cons:
    -gas line is centered in the back of the case and hits the bottle (I'm really too cheap to go buy the right 90 adapter)
    -I have to loosen the screw that holds the stinger in when I try to feed a new roll of wire, for some reason it likes to bind on the way in.
    -The door on the side is big enough it hits the side of the cart when I try to open it so I have to tilt it to get it past the lip of the cart (I'm thinking a little trimming is in order on the cart)
    -The stinger feels a little cheaper than the ones at work (duh, its a 300.00 welder vs a Miller 252)

Overall I have been able to weld up several projects and loaned it to some friends and not had any problems. I would buy it again, though likely I would have saved a little longer and bought the 175 to get the extra range.

As for what I've done with it, I've been welding up a new motorcycle gas tank, tacked my 1/4" thick jeep bumper together, and am planning to make an expedition trailer out of 3x2x1/8 tubing. If anyone has plans for a 4'x6' trailer I'd love to see them, that and plans for a bead roller with a 24" throat.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Eastwood name.

If it's a distributor with a US address, I'd look very hard at the product.

"Engineered Here" same deal, a good hard look.

The Lincoln 180amp machine comes with a little spoolgun, but at a much heftier price tag.

Lincoln, much to my regret, is also marketing stuff made overseas.

I suppose, if this goes on much longer, why not buy the cheapo crappo import If my red sheet metal contains all foriegn made crap, I figure I might as well go to the source, and buy cheap crap for cheap crap prices.

Shame on Lincoln, Hobart, and Miller. Y'all ain't pullin' the wool over our eyes.
    Yes but one important fact...
    I can call Miller welding right now and a tech person will answer the phone. Every single TIME.
    And it is not a uncommunicative geek. It is a tech person in the welding dept.,.
    They speak english very well and understand all of the nuances of our language.
    They are polite and they know what they are talking about.
    I have used Miller welding machines all of my life and starting at 16 and now I am 61. They are still GOOD.
    I have only had one machine problem and they fixed it for free.First XMT304 inverter.
    I used my Miller Syncrowave 250 analog for 6 hours per day (actual welding during an 8 hour day) for 11 years.
    Perfect performance never a problem.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 02-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Hey Matt,
    I sent you a couple PM's, did you get them?

Eastwoods been a real PIA to deal with. I needed a written quote for my bank since all checks are written through a business loan. 1st sales rep was rude and I never received the fax. The second rep was also rude and sent me a fax with no company name, phone number, contact info, address to send check, just a dollar amount. Sorry but my bank needs to know who they are writing a check to. So I sent Matt to PM's to get someone who was interested in more than a credit card number and have heard no response. Called Eastwood and asked for Matt and was transferred to a recording in Spanish. I give up. Buying a Hobart 210 with spoolgun from Northern Tool for 950. BTW I tried a Chinese made chop saw and it was trippin 20amp breakers left and right so most like this welder would do the same.

This is becoming a complete joke, now it is back ordered to Feb 28th, whats next March 15th and the March 31st. No I think I had it waiting for this one, I better get a Miller instead :|

Backordered until the 28th ?? I ordered the MIG 175 on 2/15 knowing it was not in stock on that date. Figuring it should soon ship, I checked the order status this am online to be informed there was no order information available with suggestion that a phone call should be made to cust service. Upon calling this afternoon was told the order had been canceled because I had not responded to a supposed email sent pertaining to the additional heavy item shipping charge$. Some might say I became belligerent at that point ( I prefer to think of my behavior as assertive) when I went off on how shipping could not possibly be an issue as I had used a FREE shipping code (posted 1/21) for this very item offered here by one of their representives. The operator immediately relented and told me they would honor the free shipping... Now here's where it gets interesting. Upon inquiry, she also told me the item IS CURRENTLY IN STOCK and will ship tomorrow. But apparently others have been told recently to not expect inventory until the 28th; what's going on?
    Last edited by Clunker; 02-24-2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typographical

I better get a Miller instead :|
    That's NOT a BAD thing. Miller make excellent gear! Go grab one and be happy.

Good welding machines last for DECADES, which is plenty of time to more than pay off the price difference while enjoying the quality and the support.

I never regret buying quality equipment. I've never run into anyone who regretted buying quality tools, and have met plenty who wished they'd done it right the first time.

Don't skimp on welding machines, parachutes, or condoms. The consequences aren't worth it.

I ordered the eastwood mig 175 about a week ago. I saw it said when I was ordering that it was backordered to Feb. 28. I used the code for free shipping as well. So I was surprised get an email this morning saying that it has been shipped via fedex and they emailed me the tracking code. I have not been charged shipping. I ordered the kit with the helmet and cart. It comes in three separate packages with three separate tracking numbers. The cart (I'm guessing that's the 32 pound package) and helmet (the 4 pound package) are in transit. According to fedex the 91 pound package status currently says shipping info. received but it is not yet in transit. They are all due to arrive to me on March 2.

Hi All,
    I have an Eastwood 135, and it works very well . I restore old cars and use it a lot for body panel repair. I also have a Lincoln Wirematic 250, a Lincoln 175 and have just ordered an Eastwood 175 with the spoolgun . I ordered this through Eastwood's Ebay Store with Free shipping. I have a Lincoln V205T AC/DC inverter Tig welder and a Torchmate 3 cnc plasma table with a Hypertherm 1250 plasma cutter. I would recommend the Eastwood machines to anyone. They are very stable and well made.
    Sorry for such a long post.
    Mike

lol, didn't realize how big this thread got since I started it, still haven't recieved my commision check from eastwood!
    Lincoln: 255 Mig w/spool
    Precision Tig 275
    Ranger GXT
    Miller: 211 Mig w/spool
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Spectrum 875
    Scotchman 5014 Ironworker
    Hougen-Ogura Punch
    Jancy USA-5 Slugger
    Powr Kraft Lathe
    Victor Pattern Torch
    Jet 9m Bandsaw

I ordered mine about two weeks ago and it arrived today. Eastwood 175 with helmet and cart. i will post more soon on my initial impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadill View Post
    lol, didn't realize how big this thread got since I started it, still haven't recieved my commision check from eastwood!
    You should get a referral commision for my purchase at the very least. as it was this thread that eventually compelled me to buy.

Mine arrived Tuesday; have had little time to do more than give it a quick physical inspection. Am impressed with what I've seen thus far. This will replace a Lincoln Weld Pak 3200 (imported also) purchased around 2005 for about $400 delivered. This Eastwood appears to have at least if not more quailty in physical construction as my Lincoln does; plus a spool gun and at least another 40 watts to boot; pinch me, I must be dreaming.
    Last edited by Clunker; 03-03-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typographical