Bed frame strength?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Bed frame strength?

Would a bed frame be strong enough to use for loading ramps on my car trailer? They would be spanning 13".
    Millermatic 252
    Thermal Dynamics Plasma Cutter
    Dillon Mk 5 OA setup
    HF Tig/Arc Machine

Re: Bed frame strength?

No.

Too thin of a cross section, and not enough sectional depth.

Car trailer and bed frame rails do not belong in the same sentence.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonRise View Post
    No.

Too thin of a cross section, and not enough sectional depth.

Car trailer and bed frame rails do not belong in the same sentence.
    He didn't say he was building a trailer out of a bed frame, just 13" ramps to get the car on an existing trailer. If you have enough of about anything it will be strong enough, the question is at 13", how much will a bed frame support.

That said, I would just buy some ramps or some steel and do it right, but that doesn't mean it wont work.
    The Lord has declared, "This is my work and my glory--to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" Moses 1:39
    Link: My name is John, and I am a Mormon.
    I know it. I live it. I love it!

-- ColdCreekWorks.com --

Loading ramps for a car trailer means or implies that a car will go across said ramps.

I've bent bed frame rail by standing or pushing on it. A 5 ft piece, blocked at the ends and push/stand/stomp in the middle in order to correct a bend.

So without LOTS of reinforcement to the tune of 'is there even a piece of bed rail angle iron in there at all', no way is bed rail appropriate for ANY load-bearing part of a car trailer. IMNSHO.

Some pieces of bed rail (aka small size and small gauge angle iron) could be used to box-out the trailer lights or such. But not anything structural on a car trailer.
    The best laid schemes ... Gang oft agley ...

No worries, I just had a stock pile of bed frames and was thinking of what i could use them for. I am redoing the loading ramps on my trailer and the main support rails are 1/4" thick 2"x2" angle and there was existing 2"x2"x1/8" "rungs" (for lack of a better word). Those rungs are what I was going to be replacing.
    Millermatic 252
    Dillon Mk 5 OA setup
    HF Tig/Arc Machine

Quote Originally Posted by badtexasz28 View Post
    No worries, I just had a stock pile of bed frames and was thinking of what i could use them for.
    Extra beds.

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt1966 View Post
    Extra beds.
    Full of jokes :P
    Millermatic 252
    Dillon Mk 5 OA setup
    HF Tig/Arc Machine

Quote Originally Posted by badtexasz28 View Post
    No worries, I just had a stock pile of bed frames and was thinking of what i could use them for. I am redoing the loading ramps on my trailer and the main support rails are 1/4" thick 2"x2" angle and there was existing 2"x2"x1/8" "rungs" (for lack of a better word). Those rungs are what I was going to be replacing.
    For replacing the rungs, you probably are ok. Just understand that the welded areas on the 2x2 will be affected, and you might see some bending there. I suppose adding material all over the place will shore up any issues, on a simple ramp.
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

I may be wrong, but I think bed frames are hard and brittle and are prone to breaking as opposed to bending.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think bed frames are hard and brittle and are prone to breaking as opposed to bending.
    Not wrong trapper, I'm not sure of the brittle and how much. Fredman Bros in Peoria last I knew made bed frames (been a bit back). And punched the frames in press brakes, it sounded like someone busting AR or shotgun blasts (whichever). The company I used to work for repaired the presses when they stress cracked.

Matt

heres the ramps on my car trailer
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ed mac; 05-28-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed mac View Post
    heres the ramps on my car trailer
    Why are the angle "rungs" turned that way? Thasts just the first I have ever seen them turned like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jreynoldswelding View Post
    Why are the angle "rungs" turned that way? Thasts just the first I have ever seen them turned like that.
    Loading isn't such a bumpy ride that way, but they do tend to catch ****. I suppose those particular ramps will empty out when you flip them up though.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

misunderstood the title, thought you were into fat chicks, sorry!
    HH187
    Hobart 500i plasma cutter
    Clark 4.5" Grinder
    Dewalt 14" chop saw
    30 gallom 1.6 hp compressor
    10 gallon pressure pot sand blaster
    lots of hand tools

Isn't bed rail too hard and brittle, crap to weld and a &itch to drill? Maybe yours differs than what you get around here.
    13" isn't that much of a span.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

As I know bed frame rails, they are plenty strong; most of them are made from recycled train track. They're just poor candidates for welding due to their high carbon content which frequently leads to underbead cracking.

The bed frame rails I've seen are attached to their end brackets with rivets, not welds. I guess the bed manufacturers know the limitations of their materials. Take a hint from them.
    Scott

Miller XMT 350 CC/CV w/gas solenoid opt.
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller Spoolmatic 30A / WC-24
    C-K 200A torch/gas lens
    Weldcraft WC-18 watercooled torch
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Victor O/A

The only time I ever tried to use bed rail for something I soon realized it had some kind of toxic smelling finiish/paint ?? and regardless of how much cleaning I tried the steel had a lot of impurities so the welds were pathetic... even for me
    I suggest you take these rails to the local scrap buyer and get top $ and send them BACK to China

enjoy

No Ken... not fat chicks but was a good thought.
    "So round so firm so fully packed, that's my gal" Ricky Skaggs.
    Lincoln Power MIG 215
    Lincoln WeldPak 3200HD
    Lincon ProCut 25
    Lincoln WeldanPower 225 AC/DC

If all else fails... buy more tools

i knew a guy who tried what your thinking about doing. his ramps were about 2- long and were for loading zero-turn mowers onto his 6000lb tandem. the mower made it halfway up and the ramps cratered and got nasty bent up......

like said before - bed frame rails and ramps dont belong in the same sentence
    I break things for a living...

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Loading isn't such a bumpy ride that way, but they do tend to catch ****. I suppose those particular ramps will empty out when you flip them up though.
    Cool, thanks. Makes sense i guess. I was thinking car trailer wise. Mine slide under and were put the other way.