A few Sa 200 ?'s
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

A few Sa 200 ?'s

First off let me thank everyone here who has contributed information to this site. I've been searching for information for my first SA 200 for the past week or two.

A little background
    I aquired a SA 200 from the back of an old welding rig. It was a 1979 Ford F350 in running but not great condition. The welder had not been run for at least 6 months according to the previous owner. The carb was in pieces and all of the wires on the front side of the engine were slightly charred. (six months my butt) He told me that it still turned and that it would start and run if the carb was re-assembled and installed. I took his word.. loaded up that monster, and headed home.

The hard part was trying to refrain from starting it until I got all of the bugs worked out. I didn't want to be throwing money away if this thing was junk. Well Tractor Supply had a carb kit with the needle seat and float bowl gasket. They also had a new sediment cup. (this is still an issue) The one on my machine was less than perfect and I suspect this may be the reason for the burned wires. (gas leaking on a steel deck, you get the idea) I also replaced all of the burned wires, changed oil and filter, flushed cooling system, new battery and battery cables, and changed the fuel filter. I also took the brush covers off (I don't know what they are called) checked for mice, bugs, burned wires, anything that looked strange. Nothing looked out of place so here goes nothing.

I pulled the choke, poked the start button and away she went. I checked the outlet and nothing, welding cables, nothing. Remembered seing something about them sitting for to long that they loose the magnetic field. Tryed that, OK now the grinder goes but no weld. Flipped what I think is a remote selector switch and now she welds. Beleive it or not the auto throttle works as it should.

Few questions
    1 What pressure radiator cap does it use . Mine is junk
    2 how can I figure out what year it is. There are no #'s on the face plate other than SA 200 F163
    I think its between 1973-1979 because the lugs are bent toward each other.
    3 Hrs between oil changes?
    4 why was the radiator covered I mean CLOGGED with what looks like oil residue. Crankcase breather? front seal? is there known problem with this?

I have already ordered the CD from weldmart.

Any help would be appreciated and I"ll get some pictures up when my camera comes home.

thanks, jim

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

Re: A few Sa 200 ?'s

Jim I run a 13-lb radiator cap on mine.

Some say 50 hours, and others say 100 hours between oil changes.

I take it as this machine has the octagon barrel?
    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200
    PowerArc 300
    3 SA-200s
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table

Awesome Jim! Sounds like you certainly covered all the bases. Good job.

5-7# on that radiator cap.

I hear tell the unit SN can be found somewhere on the generator housing but I've yet to see it or even a photo of one so maybe Kaye or Bill at Bills Welder Repair http://billswelderrepair.com/home.html can help in absence of a SN on the faceplate. VERY helpful folks with a phone call. If you don't already have it, you can download the Lincoln SN-vs.-Manufacured date Service Bulletin here: http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...parts/9301.pdf

As for the oil change intervals, the Continental manual recommends 50hrs but suggests that could extend out to 150hrs under clean conditions which I would consider most of what these machines see. Oil filter change interval is 150hrs. The difference in change interval between the oil and filter is due to the fact the filter is a 'by-pass' type not 'full flow'. That is, only a portion of the oil (off an oil passage) passes thru the filter and back to sump rather than the entire volume passing thru the filter prior to flowing to the engines oil passages.

Radiator blockage can be from a number of things with an oil leadk being one of them. Is there any other obvious evidence of an oil leak? It can also be from the general condition(s) in which the unit was operated (i.e. humid and dusty, etc.). How about a radiator leak? If you say the cap is shot, it could just be from the coolant being pushed out from expansion and then dust from the cooling air collecting on the wet core. The later would be my guess.

Good move on the Weldmart CD.

Edit: sent you a PM
    Last edited by duaneb55; 06-05-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    . . .I hear tell the unit SN can be found somewhere on the generator housing but I've yet to see it or even a photo of one. . .
    With a high-mount starter, follow a horizontal line from the starter towards the exciter, just beyond the generator's laminated plates the number is probably stamped in the housing.

Good Luck
    Last edited by denrep; 06-05-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks guys
    Yes the machine has an octagon barrel. It also has an electric throttle control assy. If the info I have collected so far is correct the later models (newer) were equipt with this.

The clogged radiator was from what looked like condensed crank case vapors. LOTS of them. You couldn't even see light through it. I cleaned the whole thing, engine, sheet metal, etc. There were no signs of excessive oil leakage. You know that clean spot where the oil is coming from.

I did see what looks like a breather tube behind the carb. Didn't notice anything coming from there when i was running it. The oil is also staying nice and clean so i suspect the rings are sealing well. If the oil was getting dirty I would think the cank case vent was the culprit.

I'll look for the #'s in the morning and report my findings.

I thought of one more thing, on the bottom of the carb where the drain was/should be is a 4 inch long alum. hex tube it's hollow with a bronze filter inside the bottom. Does this somehow drain off small amounts of water that get to the carb. I originaly thought it was just a rig job to plug the hole. Has anyone ever seen one?

Again thanks

You mean like this?
    Name:  Hardin SA200.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  31.4 KB

It's a 'gas trap'.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Yep thats it. What does it do?

It's a gas trap. A place for gas to collect if flooded by excessive choking or float bowl overflow to help prevent it (gas) from running into and collecting in the air cleaner. Take a look at page 37, figure 83 in the Continental manual for a better idea of what it does.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Denrep for the WIN!!!!

Here you go Duane

I can only imagine its manufacture date would hav been July 1973

Is this welder red?I came close to getting this one.I think the truck was a 1978.I picked up a redface about a month ago.Waiting for the water pump to arrive so I can put it back together and post picture's of what it look's like now.Was the owner named Greg?

Quote Originally Posted by Stock 87 View Post
    Denrep for the WIN!!!!
    Here you go Duane
    I can only imagine its manufacture date would hav been July 1973
    Well whatdayaknow. Alfred must have told him about that.

Only that looks like a 'Code' number as the SNs are six numbers (seven begining in '84) with the letter 'A' in front. Unless of course it's only the first four numbers of the SN in which case that would make it a late '73 per Lincoln Service Bulletin 9301 http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...parts/9301.pdf

A Code 7307 brings up this manual http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=30345
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Yep its red. And it was Greg.
    This thing is in a lot better shape than I had originally thought.

It's pretty torn down now. All of the tins are in getting a fresh coat of grey paint. During Creek assembly I will be putting new hoses, plugs, front seal, and an aftermarket air filter on it.
    Should be a nice piece.

BTW I have my eye on a short Hood I should be able to pick up cheap.
    Last edited by Stock 87; 06-06-2010 at 09:20 PM.

This is what it looked like when I picked it up.

Here she is today after alot of sanding and some paint.

Still need to finish the tins and order a few parts.

Stock, used to live in Hazleton, Pa., now at State College, Pa. I think Hazleton isn't too far from where you're at. Good looking machine you have there. Bought my first 200 bout 6 months ago (from a guy in Hazleton). I can understand why people love them. Keep up the good work!