Blacksmithing tools - Page 7
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Blacksmithing tools

I inspected it again and found no other markings or stamps. I know it came from a public school metal shop when the school was closed and torn down. That school was originally built circa 1970 so that is what I based the late 60's date on. The condition is remarkably good, appears to have been not used much if at all. I don't know what a proper hammer test is. I dropped the weight of a small ball peen hammer on it and compared that to doing the same on my 1-1/4" thick welding table. The anvil rings distinctly and the ball peen bounced off far higher than the table test.
    I will eventually put it on a stand or stump so I can use it.
    I found another one that looks just like mine: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...smith-anvil-no and some history if the information there is correct.
    Ernie F.

Sweet .... sounds like you scored a good one. Put that baby back to work.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

I will put it back to work!
    Apparently still made: https://anvils.co.uk/catalogues/
    511 British pounds! Wow !
    Ernie F.

I am looking for a Champion 3 pound Maud S rounding/turning hammer if anyone has one to sell.

My new forge...Name:  IMG_8295.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  131.8 KBName:  IMG_8296.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  112.9 KBName:  IMG_8297.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  112.1 KB

Good looking forge Morten! I still haven't got a forge up and running, but I'm accumulating some weaponry for the inevitable day. I got critiqued for the height of my hot/cold cuts last time, so I've made a couple shorter and more stable versions. Also ground a bump out of a broken deep tiller shank. Not sure it will get used much but I thought it was just too cool of a shape to ignore...

Name:  IMG_1532.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  135.5 KBName:  IMG_1534.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  142.2 KBName:  IMG_1524.JPG
Size:  147.2 KBName:  IMG_1525.JPG
Size:  143.6 KBName:  IMG_1523.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  173.3 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

It's hard to judge what will and won't work until you've got some time under your belt actually working the hot iron. The best advise I can give you is to look at the examples we have from hundreds of years ago, when smiths were working for a living, and try to mimic their designs. Those guys knew what was needed and didn't waste a lot of material. Just remember that what was needed in an industrial setting where strikers were available and the work was large-scale isn't going to be the same thing you need for what you're doing.

That 'bump' tool will come in very handy whenever you need to straighten a bar or put a long curve in a bar. I've been wanting one for awhile, but never seem to either find a chunk already shaped right, or get the energy to grind on a chunk until it is the right shape. They're very handy tools to have, though!

One of the guys on the Facebook page for beginning smiths just made a tool by cutting the top off a hitch ball. Interesting twist as I was waiting for a 2" plus size to come on sale and adding metal to the top to make it round.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

I was laying out my photo spread model to show you where the "bump" came from... it's actually a broken shank from a 55 IHC deep tiller.

Name:  DSCN2267.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  151.3 KBName:  DSCN2277.JPG
Views: 95
Size:  148.2 KB

But as I'm looking at it, I'm thinking about your comment of copying the old tools and I couldn't help but think of these...the ones with the groove in the top...

Name:  498.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  178.7 KB

Hmmm.... could be another Hardy tool in the making....
    Name:  DSCN2269.JPG
Size:  146.4 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Hmmm.... could be another Hardy tool in the making....
    Name:  DSCN2269.JPG
Size:  146.4 KB
    Sure enough. And a bottom swage can come in quite handy. You never know when you'll need one of a particular size to support the work you're doing.

Top swages are a little different in that the old ones are really too large for a single person to use effectively. Without a striker or power hammer, getting a massive top tool to move is troublesome if it's big and heavy. Something to do with one of those pesky laws of motion.

I had a fellow make me up a bottom swage with several depressions in it. Handy, and the extra weight keeps it in place. I still need to put a hardy stem on it......

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    One of the guys on the Facebook page for beginning smiths just made a tool by cutting the top off a hitch ball. Interesting twist as I was waiting for a 2" plus size to come on sale and adding metal to the top to make it round.
    Yes, I read that hitch balls are used by many for forming. They also cut the bottom off out of service oxygen cylinders and use the dished in part too.

lol... you hang out at the speedster site as well?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A