Blacksmithing tools - Page 16
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Name:  powerhammer start.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  118.5 KB Started on a power hammer project recently; it took quite a lot of work to cut the anvil to size from the excavator jackhammer bit.....the upright is 2 frame C channels from a track hoe welded together. The platform is from an old weigh scale. The design is planned to be a guided helve air actuated style; still trying to work out the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Blacksmith dollies? You mean like this.......?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LOL... and I thought it was hot in my shop! It's over 30 C in the shade already (over 90 F) … maybe she could take my mind off the heat...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shimanek View Post
    Name:  powerhammer start.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  118.5 KB Started on a power hammer project recently; it took quite a lot of work to cut the anvil to size from the excavator jackhammer bit.....the upright is 2 frame C channels from a track hoe welded together. The platform is from an old weigh scale. The design is planned to be a guided helve air actuated style; still trying to work out the details.
    Nice start.. How did you shape the anvil?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Steve, that's going to be a nice hammer! I'd love to get my hands on a jackhammer bit like that! :O

I got the jackhammer bit from the metal scrap yard on Kauai; I used it like a post anvil for a while, and brought it with me to American Samoa in anticipation of a power hammer build. It is tough stuff to machine....hours with an abrasive blade in a worm drive circular saw, and did the last 2 inches in the center with my dry cut saw. The insets on the sides were factory made to hold the bit in the hydraulic fixture of the tracked excavator it was used in. When I got this out of the scrap yard, there were several even larger ones which i left behind due to the difficulty in handling them.

Well, I got my power hammer up and running this evening. Sadly, it's only man-powered and I'm the lucky fella that gets to do the powering. Still, easier to cut and shape than some giant jackhammer bit, so I guess I got lucky!

I love having those little vises around. You never know when they'll come in handy for holding something, and I seem to use them far more than I'd expect.