Blacksmithing tools - Page 7
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Well crap... my post got caught in another Penton mini-crash. Woke up to another 3" of snow this morning but I have been back to creating tools out of junk. I had a 24" x 1 1/4" bolt with a square head in my forging pile to work with while I await better weather for the annealing fire for the deep tiller shank tools. We all keep our anvil edges rounded so we don't mark projects, but what if you needed a square edge for a change? The heal of my RR anvil is kept sharp for that reason, but maybe a Hardy tool would be better for a small project. This is another one that should probably be annealed as the bolt head is already chipped and seems a little on the brittle side.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Haven't done much with the new toys yet... the grinder is a beast, but I have to get some coolant for the bandsaw before I tackle any big chunks of metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Haven't done much with the new toys yet... the grinder is a beast, but I have to get some coolant for the bandsaw before I tackle any big chunks of metal.
    I got tired of the mess my coolant system made on my bandsaw. I removed the tank/pump and plumbing and it sits on my shelf now.

I get great results with quality blades (Starrett atm) and a dry lube stick.

​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

I was looking at the Matrix 2 bi-metal blades at Princess Auto for $60... know if they are any good? Where did you get the dry lube stick? I've never heard of that. It doesn't look like the previous owner used wet lube much either, but I'd guess it's still got the original blade from 2006. The grinder was still in the original shrink wrap packaging and had been on the shelf since 2008. I don't think he's been too active the last 10 yrs. The design of your saw looks VERY similar to the King. This one is set at the 2nd lowest speed... should I go slower with the dry lube?
    Last edited by whtbaron; 04-12-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Blacksmithing tools

whtbaron:

I was unable to provide a link but here’s a screenshot of what I use. I bought it from a jobber locally. I would run the saw at normal recommended blade speed with the dry lube. Someone else may have better insight.

I’m using a Princess Auto blade atm. I’m actually pleased with it. I bought two on sale a couple of years ago so I there’s no guarantee their current inventory is okay or not.

Hope you’re enjoying your snow. Nice here today.

Last edited by Lis2323; 04-12-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Thanks for the info... I'll check out the availability of that lube stick locally. So you just pack your snow away with that roller?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Yup. Getting old. Easier than shovelling......
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

So now I'm thinking a spring loaded tube on each side of the blade (something like a brush holder on an electric motor) to hold 2 of those lube sticks in place.... making more work for myself really is an illness... the brush holder should probably be threaded to keep it rotating as the blade wears it down...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Blacksmithing tools

Good idea but the blade doesn't need a continuous application of the dry stick lube. I just push the tube (cardboard sleeve and all) into the running blade somewhere around once every minute or two of cutting depending on thickness of material.

I've only used two thirds of a tube in 3 or 4 years. Mind you being retired I don't do an awful lot of cutting. I'm sure in a production environment the flood coolant system would be more efficient.

I use the same lube stick on my power hacksaw and vertical cutting bandsaw. On my mag drill I usually use the on board coolant system but will sometimes use the dry stick if I don't want a mess.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 04-13-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    ​Terry

**FORNEY**
    **THERMAL ARC**
    210 Fabricator
    181i
    **LINCOLN**
    Idealarc 250/250
    SA 200 (2)
    Ranger 305G LN-25 Pro
    **MILLER**
    Spectrum 625
    Maxstar 150STL
    Syncrowave 351
    XMT 350 cc/cv
    MM 350P

Just found out that a water quench is very good for hardening a chipping hammer. Or, good for the crappy chipping hammer I bought at Tractor Supply.

However, it's not good for a tire iron.

Both came out very very hard, harder even than the hammer I used to drive them. But the tire iron punch was exceptionally brittle and cracked on me.

not good for your chipping hammer either, you don't want it "chipping" itself, Wait till the missus goes out and stick it in the kitchen oven on high for an hour or so. Temper it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdawg View Post
    not good for your chipping hammer either....
    No worries, the struck end has been drawn down a bit to soften it. The working end was left at full hardness, but it's meant to work on hot steel and will likely get the hardness drawn down very quickly, too.

I don't suppose 400 degrees in the oven would be enough to soften up my "square head" Hardy.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I don't suppose 400 degrees in the oven would be enough to soften up my "square head" Hardy.
    Sure it will. Depends on what it's been tempered to from the beginning, though. At 400º, you might be softening it by tempering it down, but that's not very far from full hardness after a quench.

Knives and such are often tempered somewhere between 420 and 460, depending on the alloy, and you can see how hard that leaves them. Your bolt might already be there. Honestly, I'd think it mighty odd to have such a hard bolt because that makes the bolt brittle and likely to snap rather than bend or stretch under load. Any failure would be sudden and catastrophic.

Were it me, I'd take the torch to the head and temper it that way. Even a little hand torch with MAPP gas would have sufficient heat to get the head well beyond 400 in a few minutes. You could pre-heat it in the oven at 400, then use the propane or MAPP torch to get it up even hotter without worrying about running out of gas in those little bottles.

Good idea... thanks.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les