lincoln vs jackson helmets
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

lincoln vs jackson helmets

i been lookin thru a lotta welding helmets, i actually need a new one, looked at all the specs and they all look like quality helmets, but the thing is lincolns are a 1/20,000 and jacksons are all 1/25,000 .. tho lincoln is half the price at $200 or so but still.. seems odd they got no 1/25,000 seeing as their top of the line brand in the welding industry

anyone got any thoughts?

Re: lincoln vs jackson helmets

Not top of the line in everything.
    "The man of great wealth owes a peculiar obligation to the State, because he derives special advantages from the mere existence of government." Teddy Roosevelt

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers # 60

America is a Union.

1/20,000 v 1/25,000 is pie in the sky. It's so fast you wil never tell a difference. I like the Jackson line, but I didn't pay $400 for it either, and I never would.
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
    Harry S Truman

guess i will just buy a new jackson, if lincoln is cheap on the shade speed then perhaps its cheaper in other unknown ways too, dont wanna be cheap with my safety equipment lol

From what I've read and little I've seen I believe lincoln most likely makes an inferior helmet.

Top brands are optrel, miller, jackson, speedglass.
    1981 Lincoln SA 200
    Miller Trailblazer 302g
    Miller 211 Mig Welder w/ Autoset
    I'm learning to stick metal together

The Lincoln helmets stink. The optics are run of the mill, but all the models I've used have the worst headgear known to man!

Quote Originally Posted by jsm11 View Post
    From what I've read and little I've seen I believe lincoln most likely makes an inferior helmet.

Top brands are optrel, miller, jackson, speedglass.
    i talked to Lincoln Electric and apparently they are working on a new brand of helmets that are top of the line, we will see if it happens though

The Lincoln branded hoods they used to sell at Home Depot and Lowe's were just re-named Jackson HSL-1's (2x4 lens) and HSL-100's (4x5 lens) with lower line Jackson auto lenses. Quality hoods and lenses, nuthin worng with them, not top of the line but not a top of the line price either. I haven't paid attention to them in a long time, maybe Lincoln quit buying them from Jackson and went with a chinese company instead...

I don't think Jackson makes an auto hood in the $400+ price range, unless you're talking about one with the respirator system in it. The NexGen lens and Halo-X hood with 370 head gear are their top of the line stuff and I think they're only about $300.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRider33 View Post
    The Lincoln branded hoods they used to sell at Home Depot and Lowe's were just re-named Jackson HSL-1's (2x4 lens) and HSL-100's (4x5 lens) with lower line Jackson auto lenses. Quality hoods and lenses, nuthin worng with them, not top of the line but not a top of the line price either. I haven't paid attention to them in a long time, maybe Lincoln quit buying them from Jackson and went with a chinese company instead...

I don't think Jackson makes an auto hood in the $400+ price range, unless you're talking about one with the respirator system in it. The NexGen lens and Halo-X hood with 370 head gear are their top of the line stuff and I think they're only about $300.
    gotta have top of the line if your welding 60-80 hours a week, ill wait to see how their top of the line helmets go when their put on the shelves

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRider33 View Post

i have a lincoln from hd. i put the thing under a 60wat lamp like it says and it takes a good second for the mask to go dark. so i put it infront of my piaa all terrain lamps for off-roading for an hour. still takes a good half a second to auto darken. i see sun spots when im done.

imo, and im nobody, but i can totally justify spending top dollar for a welding helmet. you cant weld without eyes. even for the hobbyist i think your fooling yourself getting a cheaper helmet. but thats just my opinion.
    the grand ol' opry aint so grand anymore

miller maxstar 150s
    working on an oxy/acet set up

Go with a real jackson not the knockoff at lowes or home depot. I've seen the new lincoln helmets to. They look cheap made with there covered up wow mom look cool graphics paint jobs. But go with somebody who's been making helmets for a while. Get a jackson hsl-100 with a eqc pro variable lens.It does'nt have a grind mode but its a good starting out helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by outlawskinnyd View Post
    i have a lincoln from hd. i put the thing under a 60wat lamp like it says and it takes a good second for the mask to go dark. so i put it infront of my piaa all terrain lamps for off-roading for an hour. still takes a good half a second to auto darken. i see sun spots when im done.

imo, and im nobody, but i can totally justify spending top dollar for a welding helmet. you cant weld without eyes. even for the hobbyist i think your fooling yourself getting a cheaper helmet. but thats just my opinion.
    If your auto lens is taking a half second or more to go dark, it's completely defective. All my auto lenses darken instantaneously. Even the cheapo Harbor Freight hoods I've tried darken instantaneously.

I don't know what good it is to test the hood by looking at a light bulb. The bulb may be emitting light below the lower sensitivity of the lens. WELD with the dam thing. If it doesn't darken like it's supposed to, you'll know it right away...
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

I grabbed my NexGen for $232.00. Co-Worker likes it better than his Miller Digital Elite. Also the Torch, and Grind modes are bad-***....

I would prefer a Lincoln welder over the Millers at work, but im a Jackson man for my Optics....
    Lincoln Weldanpower 225 AC/DC-Briggs
    Lincoln 225/125 Tombstone
    Lincoln Weld-Pac 100 HD
    Jackson NexGen
    A Pile-O-Lee tools
    Sumner Ultra Clamps- where have these been all my life!
    DWM120
    More pipe threading tools than I can list

As far what available locally here the don't judge the Lincolns by what Home Depot has to offer. The Lincoln Vista line helmets at your LWS are much better helmets.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

Fibre Metal with a Huntsman VXL lens.

Used them for a good 10+ years.

The best thing, IMHO about standard window helmets is that cover lenses & glass filter plates can be purchased anywhere welding supplies are sold. If you get in a jam & just don't happen to have an extra cover plate or your lens pukes on you, a hardware store will likely have what you need to finish the job in the worst of circumstances.

Try that with any of the new Miller, Lincoln or other brand helmets with proprietary made cover lenses. I've always carried a couple standard #10 glass filter plates & spare covers in the utility box on my rig anyways, but nice to have the option of being able to go buy one if you absolutely needed to.

I know some of the new stuff is quite nice, but In ten years I have only had two Huntsman Auto lenses (first one got dusted when it got loaned to a buddy in a welding class, go figure ) in standard Huntsman or Fibre Metal helmets & wouldn't trade them for anything.

DR got it. If you're having problems like what you say, there's trouble with the lens.
    Last edited by 7A749; 08-30-2010 at 01:00 AM.
    Clueless and perfectly satisfied with it....

opps.
    " All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream." Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by tresi View Post
    As far what available locally here the don't judge the Lincolns by what Home Depot has to offer. The Lincoln Vista line helmets at your LWS are much better helmets.
    Lincoln no longer offers the Vista series. Only the Viking's.
    My Jeep

Lincoln Power Mig 215 / Magnum 300 Mig Gun / SG Spool Gun / Dual Tank
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 / Power Factor Capacitors / HiFreq TIG / Custom Dual Tank Carriage / WeldTec Cooler and Torch
    Lincoln X-TRACTOR 1GC
    Miller Digital Elite