Mounting Electric Winch In/On Pick Up Bed
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mounting Electric Winch In/On Pick Up Bed

What I want to do is mount a 2000lb HF electric winch on my F350 pick up bed.

What I'm looking for as far as advice is do you think my design will work or will I just end up bending the side rails of my bed?

Only thing I plan on useing the winch for is to load my 250 Kawasaki Bayou ATV into the back of the truck...pulling it up ramps.

Plan is to use 5/32 wall (or whatever the actually gauge equivelant is) steel tube.

This design will mount into the stake pockets and then I'll have a foot long "brace" welded on to the verticle tube that will rest on the top rail of the box. Hoping this would be enough to spread the load and not bend the box.

Not the best artist but hopefully you get the idea from the pics.

Hope that makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Mounting Electric Winch In/On Pick Up Bed

I would mount the winch on the ATV so you could use it in the field/trails
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Would still need to have an attachment point in the bed to winch it up though...so I'd have the same questions.

Trails I'm on are all state DNR, established trails. We've ridden these for years and years and no one has ever gotten stuck.

No answers but There ain't much metal in these beds or any strength in or around the stake pockets so I think you're looking at building some beefy bulkhead arrangement myself. About what you are currently talking about only not relying on the stake pockets for any real strength.

Can't really say what I'd do without actually deciding to do it myself but after having bent, straightened and reinforced a few bulkheads I do know there isn't much there. A lot of skin to attach to but any strength has to be added by you and built in based on the task you want it to perform. Quads aren't light any more for sure.

Building in any strength is hard to do if you want to preserve the "original cosmetics". I rarely do that. If I want to build something "hell for stout" that's what I do. If I wanted a pretty truck I'd leave it alone and forget about doing any serious duty.

Pure opinion. There are trucks for work and then there are trucks for looks.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Some years ago Warn had a bedmount for utility winches called Powermate.
    I've built a similar thing to pull up my mig welder on ramps, the Warn unit seemed slightly overpriced to me. I use the existing stake pockets for installation, so no extra holes and easy removal. The winch is not hardwired to the vehicle, I use some sort of a jumper cable to feed the winch.
    Sorry for not having pics of the brackets inside the pockets, but this mount was built long before I had a digicam.

The tubes are 40x40x2 mm which is roughly 1.5"x1.5"x.08". More than strong enough in this configuration. Even the stake pockets never complained. It doesn't take much pull to get an ATV or a big welder into the bed.

Well there ya go with the connectors shown and all
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

The connectors are from used computer back-ups'. Cheep find on a fleemarket.
    They're for the remote control. The "jumper cable" will go to these machined SS contact points. The white isolators are machined from glass filled teflon.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Well there ya go with the connectors shown and all
    Looks like marketable !!!!. I'd say that's the critter right there too.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Wow chevyman_de, ask and ye shall receive!

I think I have the idea for the stake pockets too.

I'll post more once I get 'er started.

Thank you!

Instead of a photo...
    The bracket has a welded 2nd plate underneath which fits exactly into the stake pocket. A massive clamping block goes over the complete length of the stake pocket. The nut for the bolt was machine from a long piece of SS, it almost reaches the bottom of the pocket. The head of a stainless allen head bolt was welded to its end. Now you can easily turn/hold the nut with an allen wrench through the bottom hole in the pocket.

That's a seriously slick setup.... great design job and an even better execution of the design. You need to patent that setup or at least manufacture them for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by mudbugone View Post
    That's a seriously slick setup.... great design job and an even better execution of the design. You need to patent that setup or at least manufacture them for sale...
    x2....how much for shipping from Germany?

Going to have to think more about the stake pocket mounting. I wasn't thinking anything near as fancy as what you have. I'm going to have to find some kind of "off the shelf" solution and maybe modify it. Other than the ability to cut steel and weld it I have no machinery to build custom parts.

You do have me thinking though...and I do appreciate it!

OK, I always have to ask the "dumb" question. Why can't your ATV power itself up the ramps??? Unless those are terribly steep ramps.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

I always rode my 3-wheelers up the ramps into the truck bed. Only time they went up by other means was if they were dead and couldn't run, in which case, I got a running start and pushed them up.

My gooseneck hitch under the bed floor would make for a perfect winch mount. Mount winch to thick plate, weld square tube protruding down from bottom of plate, drop tube into hitch hole, slide pin through, all done.

Last edited by DesertRider33; 06-12-2010 at 08:34 PM.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by CUOFFROAD View Post
    x2....how much for shipping from Germany?

Going to have to think more about the stake pocket mounting. I wasn't thinking anything near as fancy as what you have. I'm going to have to find some kind of "off the shelf" solution and maybe modify it. Other than the ability to cut steel and weld it I have no machinery to build custom parts.

You do have me thinking though...and I do appreciate it!
    An extension on a Socket works pretty good too

All you need is a Plate under the bed rail sheet metal and use a regular nut.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    OK, I always have to ask the "dumb" question. Why can't your ATV power itself up the ramps??? Unless those are terribly steep ramps.
    Mike
    Ahhh yes, I knew this question would come up....and not a dumb question at all.

I've personally seen two back windows broken from riding a quad into the back of a pickup.

Granted...it shouldn't happen...but the one time it does, it sucks. Trying to avoid the sucks part.

I've always pushed my bikes/quads into the back of the truck and it has always worked.

This project is just a "nice to have".

Quote Originally Posted by CUOFFROAD View Post
    Ahhh yes, I knew this question would come up....and not a dumb question at all.

I've personally seen two back windows broken from riding a quad into the back of a pickup.

Granted...it shouldn't happen...but the one time it does, it sucks. Trying to avoid the sucks part.

I've always pushed my bikes/quads into the back of the truck and it has always worked.

This project is just a "nice to have".
    OK, I knew there had to be a good reason. I have an old Suzi 250 4x4 and never had that problem. I guess it all depends on how big a hurry you're in to load it.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Just for reference, I had a '99 F350 sitting on 35" tires. My ramps were 6' long. I had to load a 250 Rekon by myself with a chain between the stake pockets and a come-a-long after a battery issue, no damage.
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

Thanks for the compliments on the design.

Whether or not a socket and an extension will work may depend on the vehicle. The Chevy has a rail inside the bed under the stake pocket to create a second layer and that rail could prohibit the use of an extension. Don’t know about the current Ford beds.

Basically you could drill and tap the clamping block and go without any additional nuts. But then you wouldn’t be the only one who could easily remove the complete unit in two minutes.
    The invisible nuts in combination with thread locking compound are better since those who don’t know could turn the bolt forever without success.

Of course the special nut doesn’t have to be machined from bar stock stainless. A long extension nut with a long bolt screwed and welded into one end would do as well. I just had the tools, time and material at hand.
    Same for the clamping block. You could use an angle grinder or even a file to make them. They don’t have to be beauties and you don’t need quantities.

Quote Originally Posted by dubl_t View Post
    I had to load a 250 Rekon by myself with a chain between the stake pockets and a come-a-long after a battery issue, no damage.
    Another reason for the winch on the truck, not on the ATV...

An ATV of that size has a curb weight of about 450 lbs. An actual line pull of about 200 to 250 lbs should get it in easily, it's rolling on a ramp after all. Equally distributed that's 125 lbs per stake pocket. No big deal.

My truck has tie down mounts in the floor of the bed. IF I wanted to mount a winch, I'd use a plate and some J bolts.

The good thing about the winch on the atv is that you can load it in any truck.
    The good thing about the winch in the truck is that you can load any atv.

I always just ride mine in. Just time it right so you pull the clutch about half way up the ramp and coast into the bed. Tap the brake a little and your there.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    My truck has tie down mounts in the floor of the bed. IF I wanted to mount a winch, I'd use a plate and some J bolts.
    That would cause nasty line angles for the rope, resulting in damage to the tailgate and (sooner or later) to the rope as well. And once the mounting point on the ATV reaches the height of the winch you have lots of "downforce" on the ATV's front end...

Pussies- I drive my Rhino in to the back of my Truck
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    TA 185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Another thing to consider into an ATV winch mount is tire bumpers so the tires are contacting instead of the racks. On utility quads the rack/bumper is usually the part that sticks out the most and that makes it a pain to strap down. Not usually an issue on my Raptor because the tires stick out further, but with chevyman's design my bumper would hit because the tires would go under the mount.
    Millermatic 200
    Hobart Handler 120
    Victor O/A & Ramco Bandsaw
    Lincoln 225 AC
    SnapOn AD Hood
    Miller XMT304/22A
    Hypertherm Powermax 1650 G3
    Lincoln Idealarc DC600 w/Extreme 12 VS
    Miller Digital Elite "Joker"

chevyman, it looks like the "plate" on top of the rails is bolted on and is light gauge aluminum? Is this just to keep the weather off the winch or is there another purpose?

Also, for anyone...is there any reason I can't mount the winch upside down?

My thought is, to simplify my build, can't I just weld a flat plate on the bottom of the rails, drill the mounting holes, and bolt the winch upside down to that. Not planning on running a fairlead since it should be all straight pulls into the bed.