Hobart welding school
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hobart welding school

My career goal is to work in power plants,the outages, and anything to do with power plants period. I have several years work exp with welding, i'm half way through a collage degree in welding technology,i'm certified in 7018 blah,blah,blah,,,,,,when it comes to pipe,,,,,,,,,i'm a little sissy!!!!i don't know crap and my collage is really just a entry level deal...i want more....i want pipe knowledge,i want to pass 6g,6" ,,,,,2",,,,,,,tig root,,,,6010 root,,,,,, i'm looking into quitting my job and attending hobart anything to do with pipe i want to attend. I bought a serious machine for my garage to pratice and i do not regret it. A old man agreed to teach me pipe,but his end out the deal did not hold true even though i agreed to pay him whatever. My question is i will be giving up a 17.11 per hour welding job,back to anything for money,no insurance, putting my family on hold ,,,,all to attend hobart school in troy, ohio.....i will try to find some work in dayton while i attend this school and i'm guessing i will owe them 10,000-15,000 .........,.,i love welding and have made a good living so far,,,,,i'm asking for advise...is this a wise choice???????is hobart that good????

Re: Hobart welding school

My community collage welding coarse i did polish up some things but i have more drive than this coarse can offer me...it is good but not high speed or they do not even look at pipe...i can not think about a power plant without being able to play around with pipe,,,,,,,,,what do you all know about hobart school??????good,,,,,bad,,,,,,money scam,,,,,,,balls to the walls school???????????

You will not regret going to the Hobart welding school. I believe Hobasar Rampaul is or was an instructor there. I have the pipe welding book he wrote and comsider it the bible in regards to pipe welding.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

as with anything you have to consider the opportunity cost of what you're doing. Not only will you be missing out on the wages of your current job(in a tough job market), but you will be paying all expenses related to going to school. Also, you mentioned putting your family on hold. Things like this can be stressful on your family if not well planned out and enough money saved ahead of time. The welding education is probably great, but is it the most efficient path to your most important goals? I don't know, only you know that. Can you learn the pipe knowledge somewhere else while you're on your current job? Can you get the certs you need and then the job you want without the turbulence? Again, I don't know. Maybe once you get the job you want they can pay you to learn more stuff, I know some places do that if they like you think you'll be around.

You should finish your welding degree and that combine with your welding experience and a few pipe welding books should give you a understanding of what is expected from a pipe weld. Instead of spending money on school you should then spend your money on more tooling and start practicing.

Finish your degree....Your body can only take you so far.
    Your mind will have to take you the rest.

Now that that's out of the way, is it a bachelors or associates degree your pursuing?

I also agree that for pipe....It's best to attend a place that can teach it to you. I couldn't imagine ever learning any welding on my own.

In Huntsville, AL and for 8k I have...My stick certs for structural, and pipe, and tig on pipe...
    And for 60k I have a Bachelors.

Hobart is expensive....And I would imagine well worth it. In life you get what you pay for in almost every instance. I'd of loved to go through a real deal program.
    1981 Lincoln SA 200
    Miller Trailblazer 302g
    Miller 211 Mig Welder w/ Autoset
    I'm learning to stick metal together

Like the other said, Keep Your Job and explore continuing education. Most employers will fund what you want if you appear to be there for the long run. I worked for several years at a location that paid you regular wages and per diem when they sent you off to school. They looked at what you did and the reports back on you for deciding whether they sent you to more or not. If you go and run wild, drink and party the schools will be few and far between, but if you go and apply yourself studiously and gather needed training, opportunities will come all of the time. If a company considers you valuable and you demonstrate that value you can be in charge of what you do and where you go pretty quick. Once you get to that level, Pipe or whatever you want to do is merely only a request away. My super would do just about anything I asked if it was reasonable and furthered the companies goal. Putting your family on hold is generaly a bad idea, due to the stress and financial issues that inevitably creep in. Returning to full time school also has hidden costs that mount up quickly and what you hope to acheive at the end of training is colored by the hidden costs, will school offset the 17+ per hour and all of the costs in the long run? So my vote is stay at work, keep the bennies you have, get a good rep with the super, and work toward writing your ticket that way. It may take a little longer, but you will evenntually get there with possibly less stress and discontent along the way.
    Bob
    I'm spending my Kids inheritance, I dont like him that much anyway!!!!!!
    Enuff tools to do the job, enough sense to use em.
    Anybody got a spare set of kidneys? Trade?

I have took this advise and thank you. I have decided to stay at my job and i'm going to learn pipe the hard way....i just bought a lincoln precision tig 275, added some tools to my garage,so i'm gonna get good at tig and get me some books/videos on pipe. Anybody have any good pipe welding videos let me know. I'm going to get this guy i know to show me what he knows and just keep building 1 step at a time. I try to weld every single day,so sooner or later i will get good.i want to order some training videos,and i know there are tons out there but let me know about the "real" good ones...this web site alone is filled with more knowledge than most any school ....thanks for the help!!

Virginia Beach VA Dominion of the over taxed and over charged.

Following everyone else, finish what your doing now school wise because the learned knowledge will benefit you greatly. I would go so far as to work a year after finishing school to get your funds built up and during that time put things in motion for Hobart and work in the area of the school. If you have kids then you need to make sure that you have insurance to cover them and to cover yourself and your wife so that is a priority above all else so choose a decent job near school with insurance. Take advantage of the resources in the area for low income residents if you end up in that income bracket while your in school, theres nothing wrong with getting grocery assistance and other forms of assistance while your working your way through school with a family to care for, were it not for that I would be in a bad way as would my wife and daughter.

Also consider looking at the Westinghouse nuclear pipe training program, I've heard nothing but good about it and its something I want to do after I finish my school at ATI.