Best 110 Welder Recommendations...?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Best 110 Welder Recommendations...?

Beginner in welding.
    I can only use a 110 in my garage bc the HOA runs the electricity and pays for it in the garages. Even so, I have already blown out the circuit breaker running an overloaded track light, several hanging lights, a heat gun, portable heater and a saw all at once while another person "tried" to open their garage door. Lucky for me it was during a storm and it gave me time to figure out how to get out of my garage and find the breaker box.
    That leaves me thinking I have very little amperage to work with and a 110 outlet I can't upgrade.
    I have read the different posts on 110 Mig welders and know there are limitations with what they are good to weld. I am also aware that many welders don't think 110 is quality welding, but to the welders out there that use 110 welders, which is the best one to buy?
    Thanks for any push in the right direction

Re: Best 110 Welder Recommendations...?

Best or best for you

MM140
    Lincoln Power Mig 140c
    Both top of the line 120v machines but also around 700.00

best bang for the buck- probably Hobart Handler 140
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I agree with Ed.

But before you go shopping, you might want to try borrowing (or renting) a 110v welder to try with your outlets. If some lights and a door opener are tripping the breakers, it might mean that you simply can't weld there. It'd suck to spend $5-700 on something you can't use.
    Jack Olsen
    My garage website

Good point and good suggestion. I'll give it a go with a rental first. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    I agree with Ed.

But before you go shopping, you might want to try borrowing (or renting) a 110v welder to try with your outlets. If some lights and a door opener are tripping the breakers, it might mean that you simply can't weld there. It'd suck to spend $5-700 on something you can't use.
    X2

The 140 amp welders should be run on a 20 amp dedicated circuit (especially in the higher amperages).

By far, the most electricity efficient 110v mig out there is the Millermatic Passport. It is the only inverter power supply mig that will run on 110 volts. Inverters are far more 'fuel efficient' than transformer machines. The Passport will run fully through it's 150 amp limit on 110 volt power on a 20 amp breaker. On a 15 amp breaker, it will run through the majority of it's power output range. I run mine on both 220v and 110v power. I welded all the metal stud framing on 14 new school building, including clips to beams and tracks to beams, on 110 volt job site power on a 20 amp circuit with the Passport. The Passport can do alot more on 110 volts than any other 110v mig available.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

any possibility of using a 10 gauge extension cord out a window from a dedicated socket in house?

I use my mig on up to 2 seperate extension cords each 50 foot & 10 gauge.

technically probably could use a 12 gauge if not more than 50 foot & on a dedicated 20 amp breaker.

how about a generator? one of my friends has his shop around 1000 feet from his house. he runs his welder on a generator, but for lights he has 10 regular orange 100 foot extension cords plugged together & hooked up to a makeshift breaker box & running 220 volts, but he only uses lights, bench grinder, drill on the breaker box, I think he says he has 96 volts available, which suprised him for that much run. he is too cheap to pay a seperate electric bill for his shop for lighting only most of the time.

Later,
    Randy

Wowza- DesertRider33- very impressive on 110. The Passport looks like a sweet machine. Multi Voltage Plug... No way & you can carry that guy around, eh? That's nice. It also looks like it holds the CO2 inside it, do you use the little one and does it give you a decent amount of time? Nice machine, thanks for the heads up.

knucklepanshovel- my HOA is pretty cool at least as cool as they can be but an extension cord out the window may be too unHOA for them plus I think my garage is too far from my place to be powered by a cord any size but I did consider welding on my patio or in my living room but my cat and dog are way too nosy. lol and thanks for the suggestion.

All have given good advice.
    I had a miller 135 (older version of the 140) it did a good job. I was happy with it. I sold it to a buddy he loves it.
    Dave Reber
    Wadsworth Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by happyhado View Post
    Wowza- DesertRider33- very impressive on 110. The Passport looks like a sweet machine. Multi Voltage Plug... No way & you can carry that guy around, eh? That's nice. It also looks like it holds the CO2 inside it, do you use the little one and does it give you a decent amount of time? Nice machine, thanks for the heads up.
    I usually use my Passport with fluxcore wire, since almost all of my work with it is on site outdoors in the breeze and alot of the metal I weld on is galvanized or otherwise rusty/dirty/painted/etc. Fluxcore shines under these conditions. The Passport runs great on both fluxcore and CO2 with solid wire. The little bottle lasts for a few small projects. When I run it with gas, I usually hook up to the 80cf mix gas bottle I keep on the truck, though it does run better on CO2 than mix gas.

While the Passport is light enough to carry around, even with a full roll of wire in it, I keep a small wagon with offroad tires on the truck and pull it around the job site on the wagon. It's easier and why do more lifting/carrying than necessary. A long day of carrying it around will tire anyone out. It is certainly easier to lift and carry the Passport than my Millermatic 175, which probly weighs about 25 lbs more than the Passport.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic