Has anyone used any Chemical Tungsten Sharpener?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Has anyone used any Chemical Tungsten Sharpener?

I was just wondering if anyone uses this stuff, it just seems too easy. Does it allow balling the end for working with HiFreq? I have looked at the handheld power sharpeners,

Here is a link to what I found if anyone wants to know what I'm talking about:
    https://weldingsupply.securesites.co...F:OR:terms::PN

thanks in advance for replies
    There is no failure...only feedback

Re: Has anyone used any Chemical Tungsten Sharpener?

I've used it before. The point will come out sharp after its put in the chemical, but not as sharp as a hand sharpened point.
    Miller 250x & Lincoln V205-T
    Smith Oxy-Prop torch

Northwestern Wisconsin, 30 minutes east of st. paul, MN

Hey,

I have looked deeply into the ideas of sharpening tungstens, in my opinion this method is the best. I think the trick is to use a specific method. I might make a video about this today to aid in demonstrating this idea. Firstly, chemical sharpener is nothing more than a chemical known as 'sodium nitrite'. You can find this substance online for -much- cheaper, http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=2snite here is an example.

The technique I use which enables me to form basically any angle I want is to simply put the tungsten into a power drill. I have a torch just as you would need to use this method. I light the torch and then start spinning the tungsten and putting it into the flame. This gives it a even amount of heat but is likely not necessary. Once it is glowing red, I put the tungsten into a glass of sodium nitrite. All you really need to do is keep it spinning and do so at the depth you wish for that specific angle. Once it's done it's thing for a moment, take it out and have a look, if you aren't satisfied with the taper you can repeat the process with ease. As soon as it begins to cool and crystallize back into a solid, I hit it with a stainless steel brush and it dusts off like eye crust. After that I wipe it off with a paper towel and a bit of acetone and it's, in my opinion, a perfect tungsten. I've seen these machines that cost 3 grand or so, that's nice and all, but for 10 dollars and a little technique you'll be very pleased with the results.

The only thing I've used these tungstens on is aluminum with AC on a transformer machine. I've tried red (thoriated) green (pure) and brown (zirconiated) and they all seem to work great in this method. Don't use a metal bowl for this as the sodium nitrite would continue straight for the bowl and through it which wouldn't be good.

Here is a before and after picture that I just made.
    http://img815.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img2006.jpg I'll post up a video later today.

Chemical tungsten sharpener sucks. You'll never see that crap on the job. Use a grinder with a tiger paw and a drill to spin your tungsten. Short of using a really expensive tungsten sharpener that does it for you, you won't get a better point than using that method.

Northwestern Wisconsin, 30 minutes east of st. paul, MN

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/5...ungstenele.mp4
    I don't see why you hold that opinion john. Have you used the nitrite method much? I promise you this though, you are absolutely incorrect about having sodium nitrite on the job. I use it, and I've read about other companies using it.
    Last edited by pinjas; 07-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.

I hate that crap. I worked one place where one guy liked that stuff.

What took you a minute and a half to do takes me 20 seconds. I mean who likes sharpening tungsten in the first place? I sure don't, and there is no way I'll make a career out of it using chem sharp.

Well, there seems to be a few mixed opinions. I agree that it seems to take an extended time and many steps to use the nitrite to sharpen your tungsten. A minute and a half isn't too bad to sharpen, but I wouldn't want to have a whole work station dedicated to it. I thought it would be something that I could sit next to me while I'm welding and wouldn't have to get up every time that I need to sharpen, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have used the arc zone handhelds, and thats probably the direction I will go. thanks for the comments.
    There is no failure...only feedback

I bought a diamond wheel from ebay, it was really cheap, only about $6. I think it is 150 grit. I mounted it on my bench grinder in place of one of the aluminum oxide stones. Man does it sharpen tungstens well, and fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now that looks like a sweet setup!

I've been using a Stilo Tig holder and upside down belt sander with fine belt. This works well plus is a low cost and quick method. The Stilo Tig Holder is about $30.

I use a cordless drill to spin the tungston..
    I have a pedestal grinder with the guard removed and I stand behind it and grind the tungston on the top with the grinding dust going away from me..

Been sharpening like that for 20 years...

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

I have figured out that keeping everyone happy is nearly impossible but pissing people off is easy and fun.

The slightly radioactive particulate dust from thoriated tungsten (as opposed to the tiny exposure from welding with it) isn't a wise thing to inhale so having the dust go away from you is a good thing.

Love the cheap diamond wheel! I'll look out for one. I'd flip the wheel guard away from me instead of removing it. Tungstens fly with a good bit of force when they catch a wheel! We enforce wearing a face shield at work when grinding them.

The cordless drill/tiger paw method is common on the job, but putting a grinder in a vise is an OSHA foul (Google "OSHA Never clamp a hand-held grinder in a vise.") so be discreet.

Quote Originally Posted by worntorn View Post
    I've been using a Stilo Tig holder and upside down belt sander with fine belt. This works well plus is a low cost and quick method. The Stilo Tig Holder is about $30.
    is that the "tig pen" you are talkign about? if so, I've seen the videos, and it looks very cool for getting a nice even cone on your tungsten.

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post

The cordless drill/tiger paw method is common on the job, but putting a grinder in a vise is an OSHA foul (Google "OSHA Never clamp a hand-held grinder in a vise.") so be discreet.
    OSHA rules don't appy in personal shops. BUT.it probably isn't a good idea to vise your hand held grinder.