Think I have flash burn coming on. Anything I can do ?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Exclamation Think I have flash burn coming on. Anything I can do ?

I had the flip shield up and hit the metal with the rod by accident and saw the arc. My eyes felt like I had gotten out of the pool. A little fuzzy. Now 3 hrs later staring to feel it a little. I had this wehn I was a smart *** teen welding without a mask and remember it being very painful and hitting in the middle of the night. Anything I can use now or am I screwed ?
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig
    Lincoln Tombstone(doesn't everybody have one ?)
    Diesel/Heavy Equipment Mechanic

Re: Think I have flash burn coming on. Anything I can do ?

Never mind, I'm screwed. Found this..
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=17991
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig

If you think you are acting like, or are looking like Stevy wonder, but are too afraid to open your eyes in front of the mirror to check, it is more then likely that you got flashed.

If it were me I would microwave some milk let it cool and put it in my eyes. I prefer half and half but I would take milk. That is the South American cure for getting flashed.

I was working 16 hour days on a boat my brother captained, lining up parts as my father was welding them in place. I got hit about ten times that day. I went to the diner and I was afraid I would not be able to see to go home. The waiter a Spanish guy, said "take some milk or half and half and put in your eyes. That is what we do". It hurt so bad I just popped open one of those containers and poured it in. Right at the counter of the dinner. Ha-ha.

Instant relief.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

I doubt one flash is going to do much. Never has for me anyway.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Dad swore by potatoes

Yup, Monica. I knew an old timer who swore if you cut one in pieces and allowed it to rest on your eyelids it would draw out the burn. Never tried it, but if I get a flash I might, then if it doesnt get better fast, offf to the ER for proper treatment.
    I'm spending my Kids inheritance, I dont like him that much anyway!!!!!!
    Enuff tools to do the job, enough sense to use em.
    Anybody got a spare set of kidneys? Trade?

ive known weldors who would put some vicks vaporub on their face under their eyes and the fumes would cause tearing which flushed the eyes out..

Do what I do, go to the chemist and say your a welder and have been flashed and need drops for ARC eye...I cant remember what they are called but instant relief.....
    Tons of hand tools mostly Kingchrome
    Arc welder
    MiG welders
    O/A setup
    Many grinders
    air compressors
    many air tools
    Industrial drill press
    Two Forklifts
    many more tools
    Man has his will, but woman has her way.
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Go to the er and they will give you a few drops in your eyes and it is all over relief
    Lincoln Power Arc 4000
    Thermal Arc Fabricator 252 i
    Thermal Arc 26 tig
    Tweeko 200 amp spool gun
    Hobart AirForce 400
    WP-17V-12R

I've been flashed half a dozen times without anything bad happening -- other than feeling like an idiot for forgetting to swing my helmet down.

Thanks guys. I did ok. Did the cucumber(cause I had them) stole prescipion ibuprofin and a vicoden from the wifes stash(she gets bad migranes) and did ok. woke up a few times and it felt like swimming in high chlorine pool water but no sandman so I did ok. Can't beleive I was that stupid. I was 15 when I did it the first time and I'm 41 now and remember it like it was yesterday the pain lasted two days.
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln 140c Mig

Quote Originally Posted by Mad about Metal View Post
    Do what I do, go to the chemist and say your a welder and have been flashed and need drops for ARC eye...I cant remember what they are called but instant relief.....
    Your not talking about Mercurochrome by any chance?
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
    Yup, Monica. I knew an old timer who swore if you cut one in pieces and allowed it to rest on your eyelids it would draw out the burn.
    "draw out the burn"!?!?!? Seriously..........
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by bert the welder View Post
    No no not that junk, I think the brand is Visiene or something like that, when I need to go get some more stop smoking pills I will check it out
    Arc welder
    MiG welders
    O/A setup
    Many grinders
    air compressors
    many air tools
    Industrial drill press
    Two Forklifts
    many more tools
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

"draw out the burn"!?!?!? Seriously..........
    Just relaying what the old timer told me. Like I said, I have never been flashed, but if I do I might try it for a few, then off to the ER for proper treatment. The eyes are not a place I am really willing to experiment. The oldster swore by it,but if he has a remedy he is probably doing something wrong to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad about Metal View Post
    No no not that junk, I think the brand is Visiene or something like that, when I need to go get some more stop smoking pills I will check it out
    2% tetracaine from the eye doctor.

jrw159

Naw man!!!!!, that stuff is for cancer isnt it? Or is it the silent beam from the high freq warming it? Hmmmm, do know about that one....
    Bob

One flash, unless you just kept on welding, won't blind you, getting flashed a hundred times a day will leave you with no central vision. The scars on your retinas will begin to resemble a highway map. -most of the time they will heal in a few weeks or months. The pain will quit after a few times, I can't remember the last time my eyes burned, most of the time it will be more a dull ache.

The early automatic helmets were too slow, I would get flashed before they would trigger. Dark glasses under them helped.

A good way to avoid the problem is to have plenty of ambient light, good working light, and wear shade 3 or 5 dark safety glasses all the time. You will look cool, and it will avoid most of the flash, about 90% of the damage. They are still clear enough to read a ruler and run the saws, drills etc. Welding glass numbers are additive, 5+5 = 10 so a 3 safety glasses and a 3 to 5 face shield will equal a 6 to 8 -perfect for oxy-gas cutting. 3 to 5 glasses and 5 to 8 glass in your helmet or a low setting on your electric hood will be about right for tig, wire, or stick. Many of the old welders just wore shade 5 safety or dark glasses for cutting, so a 3 glasses and 3 shield is about the same.

If you are in a shop with other folks, use flash screens, and hope they do as well.
    past work toys; lathes,mills, drills, saws, robots, lasers ironworker, shears, brake, press, grinders, tensile tester, torches, tigs, migs, sticks, platten table, positioner, plasmas , gleeble and spot. Retired June 30, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw159 View Post
    2% tetracaine from the eye doctor.

jrw159
    Jrw159,
    Ya beat me to it. I had to go and get some because my shop assistant got flashed and there was none in the first aid kid
    Arc welder
    MiG welders
    O/A setup
    Many grinders
    air compressors
    many air tools
    Industrial drill press
    Two Forklifts
    many more tools
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Good one Burt, it appears that your funny has soared over the top of most people's heads!

Mercurochrome is an antiseptic that was once used for minor cuts and scrapes. It is no longer used because it contains mercury.

All of the above remedies involve rehydrating and re-moisturizing the cornea. Potatoes, milk cukes...Because isnt Flashburn basically sunburn on your eyes? yes, it is. It can also do retinal damage but that is mush more chronic.
    Some ironworkers take a giant dose of nyquil. Thats my preferred method for when I get galvanized poisoning. Some guys will raid the cabinet for heavier narcotics. the ER trip is a surefire way to go. I havent had flashburn yet. Ive been flashed hundreds of times, and get this, Ive even spent an entire day welding bridging without a hood, looking right at the arc, and not been flashburned.

Because I always wear safety glasses. Most safety glasses these days block UV. I make sure the ones I wear do. Polycarbonate lenses are natural UV blockers. Yes, my face burned and peeled from the UV off the arc - which sucked - but no flash burn in my eyes. Simple inexpensive way to protect yourself from unintentional flash.

hello. jackson and several others crews etc. make shade 3.0 cutting safety glasses. i mention the jackson nemisis line because there very comfortable and look good. when we weld in our shop me and our mechanic use these when the other is welding. they are good protection against momentary flashes. and the shade 3 is light enough u can still see to do whatever. just a suggestion for future referance.