Blacksmithing and forging - Page 16
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Re: Blacksmithing and forging

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I was referring to the 2nd statue...
    Yea, that helps!

For that candle holder, everything was held together with a 60-penny nail acting as the rivet. The large head of the nail was made somewhat larger by peening it on a bolster block until it filled the bottom of the candle cup. The underside was countersunk so the shaft of the nail could be peened flush.

Nails make great rivets, but you've got to heat them up to anneal them since they're work-hardened from the factory.

Interesting...that's one option I hadn't considered...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

A good morning's work.

Name:  IMG_6437.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  98.7 KB

Had to cut things short because I needed to get to the post office before they closed, but it was definitely a good day.

And, since things are shut down for the time being, I took the liberty of ordering another Tillman apron through flea-bay.

I know I talked up a great game about the custom apron I just had made for myself, but that apron is just too nice for daily use. I like it, but I'd rather save it for some day in the future when I go out in public to do a demonstration.

So, I bought another Tillman apron and will be cutting, chopping and adapting it to make it better. The last apron I bought from them needed reworked right out of the gate, so this time I'll be prepared. The idea is to use three-bar sliders and some "extra" touches to make the apron a far far better thing. Maybe I'll even offer to make them a standard item that I turn out.

This prototype will be fun to work with since I'm not much in to doing things with leather. But, I figure I can tweak it just enough to make it something financially viable for a lot of smiths, and infinitely better than the design that Tillman came up with on their own.

I thought about buying some leather, but I can't buy a 2'x4' sheet of hide for $40 or less, so going with the pre-made apron seems like the most effective way. If it works out like I hope, I'll buy a second apron to adapt and sell......

You remind me of my Mother. She would get really nice things at Christmas and put them in her dresser drawers to "save" them. When she passed away, we found a department-store cache of stuff...all brand spanking new!!!

Use the darned apron. A shiney new apron ain't gonna impress anyone.

I'm with Shortfuse - use the apron! Even my shiny new Lincoln black helmet is scratched now. Put on the apron and beat some metal!

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    I'm with Shortfuse - use the apron! Even my shiny new Lincoln black helmet is scratched now. Put on the apron and beat some metal!
    Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Use the darned apron. A shiney new apron ain't gonna impress anyone.
    Be at ease, gentleman. The apron has been used for the last week or so since I got it. Took me awhile to get used to it since it's so much heavier than my old apron..... and get over the notion of dirtying up a piece of gorgeous leather! It really is gorgeous leather!!!

I've knocked the new off it, for sure. But as the weather warms up, a super-thick apron isn't the most comfortable thing to wear. If I keep wearing it, the oils and greases in the shop will certainly get on it, and that's not something that's very attractive when you have to do a public demonstration. You want the apron to look used, obviously, but still clean and classy to a certain degree. And I'm hoping it will just be a fun adventure. I don't generally work with leather unless I'm tanning a hide fresh off the deer, so this will make for a fun learning experience.

How many disasters have I gone through because they sounded like a fun learning experience????

Vaughn, we're jus' pullin' yer chain......

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Vaughn, we're jus' pullin' yer chain......
    No worries, friend. I didn't take it any other way!

I'll be sure to get my new/cheap apron plenty filthy and post lots of pictures!

Wanna borrow my butchered leather jacket? .... it will keeeeeel......
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

I was in Carcassonne in France last Spring and all the gang that keeps the castle alive, who restored the whole pile, the guys that roofed the buildings and the towers with slate, the carpenters, the stonemasons, the blacksmiths the lead-gutter-guys, the plumbers...etc. all put on displays of what they did during a weekend show and all of them were competent, fascinating to watch and scruffy as hell. Nobody freaked out because scruffy. You should have seen the team of blacksmiths building a couple of giant chandeliers out of wrought iron, sparks and hammers flying, there were 3 guys beating on the parts in perfect harmony all at once...amazing and unforgettable. Wear the apron with pride, its the work/art and magic that you produce that is fascinating, your state of dress is immaterial.

Quote Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
    I was in Carcassonne in France last Spring and all the gang that keeps the castle alive, who restored the whole pile, the guys that roofed the buildings and the towers with slate, the carpenters, the stonemasons, the blacksmiths the lead-gutter-guys, the plumbers...etc. all put on displays of what they did during a weekend show and all of them were competent, fascinating to watch and scruffy as hell. Nobody freaked out because scruffy. You should have seen the team of blacksmiths building a couple of giant chandeliers out of wrought iron, sparks and hammers flying, there were 3 guys beating on the parts in perfect harmony all at once...amazing and unforgettable.
    I'd give my eye teeth to see something like that one of these days. Every time I watch a video of European smiths working on something today, it seems like they're all making elaborate high-level ironwork. Not only is it appreciated by the general public, but people are buying enough of it to support the trade!

It's a very different attitude in Europe. Around here it's hard to find a building that's more than 80 yrs old because they all get bulldozed for new crap with no character. I was surprised in England to find that even castles 100's of years old are constantly being renovated and restyled to meet current demands. Constantly retrofitting buildings made before modern building codes means reverting to practices of the past so there is more demand for the craft and more desire to maintain the look and style.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Just finished up the "night shift" in the shop and am working on boxing up all the orders I managed to get forged.

2 big nail hooks. 7 flat bar hooks. 1 carved anniversary dish. 1 shallow dish also for an anniversary, but not carved. 1 pendant.

Not much, it seems, for a solid night's work, but carving that anniversary dish and texturing it and the shallow dish take ages! I really need to get me a power hammer to speed things up!

Not the glamorous work I'd like to be forging. No giant grills and intricate lacing of hard steel.... but it's paying work and it's always an honor to have my work considered for someone's anniversary celebration.

Now, I'm gonna drink a few more beers and drop the boxes off at the post office around the corner. Then it's nap time!

One pair down, another to go.

Getting the layout and all that stuff took a gob of time, but now that this set is finished, I feel good about moving on to the next. The customer wanted something to support a table top between two cement columns. Because the site isn't very fancy, we opted for simple brackets that have an industrial feel to them. They'll go very nicely with the square columns and rectangular table.

To give it a little visual interest, I opted for thick washers behind the bolt heads. This gives you some depth to the design and catches the eye. Anyone looking at these brackets will know they weren't bought at some hardware store!

very nice work.....just a question on how you uploaded pics to WW? as most are having issues with uploading pictures to the sight..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    very nice work.....just a question on how you uploaded pics to WW? as most are having issues with uploading pictures to the sight..
    Thank you.

I've had a hard time uploading pics straight from my computer, so I will upload them to another site (bookface, tumblr, google+, etc) and then copy the image address at that site.

If you try to upload a file straight from the computer, there's a HUGE delay and sometimes you can wait ten minutes only to find out that something went wrong and the upload failed.

Got these brackets made up over the last few days in the shop.

Name:  IMG_6495.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  81.5 KB

I really enjoyed the process and watching them come alive. But I can see that I'll have to come up with a better way if I want to do these consistently and in different sizes.

Right now, I'm using my bench vise to hold the steel so I can bend it at the jaw line. That works, but the 2"x1/4" bar puts some wear on the vise and there's no way for easy adjustment should I want different lengths on the legs. So..... now I get to brainstorm and find a solution I can afford!

I was watching Nate's older video on making drifts and it brought to mind an old cheat I came up with ages back.

In the vid, Nate is upsetting the middle of the mild steel bar he's using to make the drifts. Upsetting, or thickening, the center of the bar is necessary because the hole you're making will contract as the steel returns to room temperature.

Nate does a great job with his videos and he's right to show folks how to do it from scratch. However, cheating isn't such a bad thing, right?

What I do, when I need a finished hole of known size, is run down to the Tractor Supply or other such store and buy me a big bolt that's 1/16" larger in diameter than the drift I want. So, for a 1/2" drift, I actually use the shank of a bolt that's 9/16". Then it's just a matter of drawing out the ends and no upsetting of the middle is needed.

Plain bolts cost pennies, and you can get them in lengths that leave you plenty of meat in the shank for making a drift. Cut the threads and head off, forge out the little bit of bare shank..... boom, perfect drift.

The nice thing about bolts is that they're a slightly harder grade of steel. I've been able to quench the bolt drifts in water without any problems, and the harder alloy means the thinner drifts don't bend so easily. Overall, it's definitely a win.

So, do it the old way like Nate shows in his video just so you can learn the motions. Then run down to the hardware store and pick up a selection of bolts to make another set. Any excuse to forge something!!

The table is up and the brackets are looking really good. Gotta say, I'm mighty happy with how this project turned out!