How to clean an oxy-acetylene torch kit?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How to clean an oxy-acetylene torch kit?

I just bought a used Craftsman torch kit on Craigslist. Mechanically it looks in good shape but it needs to be cleaned--there's a thin film of grimy dust on many of the parts that feels a bit oily. What's the best way to clean this? Just soap and water? Are there any cleaners/solvents that I should avoid? What about the mask shield?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: How to clean an oxy-acetylene torch kit?

70% rubbing alcohol works well, and is safe to use on the parts. There are industrial cleaners that work as well, but are hard to obtain. Avoid all the brake cleaners, carb cleaners, or anything like mineral spirits for safety reasons. Most cleaners like 409 actually can etch the brass and leave a residue so avoid them. Simple green aircraft and precision parts cleaner is the ONLY exception I am aware of, but not the regular simple greens. For cleaning the brass parts, a brass wire brush and rubbing alcohol works wonders.

A great answer in 18 minutes. You guys are awesome! Thanks Mako.

*heads off to buy some rubbing alcohol*

One thing to be cautious about is not getting any foreign material in the O2 reg. You want to be sure and cover the inlet nipple or better yet screw it on the cylinder to be sure to keep any crud from getting inside.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

What about the inside of the hoses? Is it enough to blow gas through them when I "crack" the valves the first time?

If the hoses have been hooked up that should do the trick since there's little chance anything got inside. Few people ever unhook the hoses from the torch and regs anyways so you are probably good there. If they have been sitting open for an extended period (not put in a clean bag or something) I'd be leary about what might have gotten into the hoses, bugs, dirt, oil etc. Do not blow compressed air thru the lines! Most compressors have small amounts of oil in the air and that would be a good way to contaminate the O2 lines and possibly cause a fire at some point in the future.

Oxy fuel hose is cheap, and often used hoses are dry rotted or in fair to poor shape. I'd just get a new hose if there was any question and be safe.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the suggestions. The rubbing alcohol worked great. It turned out that most of the grime was on the toolbox itself and the goggles. The pamphlets that came with the kit make it look older than I thought (the graphics look very dated) but it all looks in very good condition. I plan on taking it to a LWS to have them inspect it before I use it, just in case.

I have a couple more questions and in lieu of opening yet another thread I'll ask them here:

The torch doesn't appear to have flashback protection so I figure I should get some. Weldfabulous.com has two Smith flashback arrestors, one torch mount and the other regulator mount. Is one recommended over the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. The rubbing alcohol worked great. It turned out that most of the grime was on the toolbox itself and the goggles. The pamphlets that came with the kit make it look older than I thought (the graphics look very dated) but it all looks in very good condition.
    Older is probably better in this case. Im still using a Harris setup I bought 30 years ago. Been sent in once to get rebuilt.
    I plan on taking it to a LWS to have them inspect it before I use it, just in case.
    They will just want to send them in to be rebuilt. Its fairly inexpensive, although its been years since I sent a set in.

I have a couple more questions and in lieu of opening yet another thread I'll ask them here:

The torch doesn't appear to have flashback protection so I figure I should get some. Weldfabulous.com has two Smith flashback arrestors, one torch mount and the other regulator mount. Is one recommended over the other?
    Ive never used one.
    Millermatic 251
    Spectrum 300 Plasma
    Everlast PowerTig 250EX
    Everlast PowerCool W300
    Harris / Victor OA
    Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
    ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
    48" Brake
    Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.

Torch Set Only is the best in my opinion.

One thing to be cautious about is not getting any foreign material in the o2 reg.One just has to be sure that they cover the inlet nipple or screw it on the cylinder to keep any crud from getting inside.

If you want to actually remove oxidation from the brass/bronze surfaces, pro rebuilding shops use glass bead blasters. I've been wondering if soda blasting would work at home in a small blasting cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by OAdoctor View Post
    Torch Set Only is the best in my opinion.
    Agreed, however here's something to note in this case. The Craftsman torches are made by Harris. The spacing between the two hose inlets are much closer than you find on a Victor torch, and some wider bodied torch end flashback arrestors (such as a Victor set I have) will not fit on the torch as they cannot be fit close enough together. Just something to keep in mind.

Don't ever use petroleum based products on anything to do with oxy fuel parts... Petroleum and oxygen creates a spontaneous combustion if they meet , so don't use oil or regular soap go buy a new rag don't get anything on it and clean the kit, or take it to your lws or vendor if they Do that.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    Agreed, however here's something to note in this case. The Craftsman torches are made by Harris. The spacing between the two hose inlets are much closer than you find on a Victor torch, and some wider bodied torch end flashback arrestors (such as a Victor set I have) will not fit on the torch as they cannot be fit close enough together. Just something to keep in mind.
    I have a similar problem with a little Smith aircraft torch (A size fittings). One option is to just put check valves on the torch and put FB arrestors at the regulator end but BE CAREFUL. I think the OA doc or someone warned that if you restrict the flow too much it can actually make matters worse because it's easier for a higher pressure line to push back into the lower pressure (like O2 into the Acet line) if it's restricted. FBA's and check valves cause line pressure to drop.