The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

View Poll Results: Did watching the debates bring you to a higher level of understanding?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 31.82%
  • No

    15 68.18%
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 975
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the free, because of the brave!
    Posts
    893

    Thumbs up The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Ok gang here ya go..
    I did not start this thread but made it into a stickey and the same rules go as in the other threads....
    WHAT GOES ON IN HERE STAYS IN HERE.

    OK?

    Easy enough.

    Have at it.

    ...zap!








    The following debates are between three remarkable men, all experts in their field of study. I can guarantee you nothing, but I am willing to bet that after watching both these debates, you will walk away wiser and more informed.

    For the believer, you will likely be strengthened in your faith. For the hard line non-believer, you will likely remain just the way you are. For those who have not decided, some will fall away completely, but others will see with a light they never knew existed, for they will see God with reason and intelligence. What happens from there depends entirely on the measure of faith God is willing to grant to each of us.


    A few rules for this thread:

    1. Before you comment, watch both debates from beginning to end.
    2. Please do not attack the views you appose with disrespectful comments, you only make yourself look bad when you do. Instead, post your own views with evidence you believe will add to any discussions that may arise from these debates we are about to watch.
    3. If you want to post your own video of a debate you believe makes one side look bad, start your own thread and post it there.
    4. If all you want to do is say this kind of thing does not belong here, then kindly click on another thread and move on, no one is twisting your arm to view this thread.


    Enjoy,
    Gar


    Christopher Hitchens & John Lennox Debate - "Is God Great."



    John Lennox Vs. Richard Dawkins Debate - "Has Science Buried God"

    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch


    Genesis of a welding table


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,771

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    I for one, am glad I have Gar on my ignore list.....and, I don't care what anyone thinks.
    *********************************
    CIG 320SP pulse mig
    Mitech ACDC315P
    Samson 510 CNC plasma table
    Hypertherm 85
    Etc, etc.

    "You don't stop laughing when you get old....You get old when you stop laughing".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    331

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Dogs are great

    Lisdexics Untie!

    Cheers Andrew
    WIA 270amp Mig
    Transtig 200 AC/DC Tig/stick
    Hypertherm PM45

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Bemidji MN
    Posts
    11,737

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  21.6 KB
    Dave J.

    Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

    Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s and v300 Pro
    ESAB 161
    SA200
    MM210
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,106

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    Posts
    2,314

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Stupid. You decide what this comment is directed towards.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200
    Miller Maxstar 150STL

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    8,850

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Here is the answer to your title question.

    God is not in any way based on science. Therefore science cannot bury or disapprove God's existence in the eyes of believers. I already posted this explanation. The Lennox/Dawkings debate was pointless. No basis of common standard on which to discuss the topics.
    Religion is based on Faith otherwise known as Superstition. The only difference between religion and mythology is time. Given enough time all religions become mythology.
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 10-02-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    8,850

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    THOR is the greatest God. Not only is he God but also a super hero! Marvel comics are the Bible. Which of the other 2870 Gods in recorded history are you asking about being great? I think the Christian God doesn't even make the list of great Gods.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    193

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Very intellectually stimulating. I wish message boards could be so gentlemanly like and self controlled with such diametrically opposing views. I don't always have that ability. Thank God for moderators.
    Faith is something that's very difficult to argue or debate. A gift I don't have.


    John 20:29 >>
    Jesus *said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Maxstar 150S
    Victor O/A torches
    Dewalt angle grinders

    Welded on/off for over 40 years.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bay Area Cali
    Posts
    900

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    And how does this relate to the SA 200 being the greatest invention of all time?
    Seriously, I come here for help with welding not life. I keep that to those I know and SEE personally.

    sent while goofing off at work
    Long after the price is forgotten, the quality will remain.

    Both of my Poppy's 1954 Short Hoods -Third generation to weld with it and teaching a fourth
    SA 2## - Bought and sold more than I can remember or care to list, 8 in the shop right now

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    8,850
    I believe this was created ash the request of myself and others because there has been an increase in political/religious/racial threads/ comments inappropriately scattered around WW. Politics have a sticky thread in of topic and the only location political discussions are supposed to be posted. Hopefully the same happens here with religion. There is also a gripe thread where one can pi$$ and moan till their heart's content. Thank you Gar for obliging with a dedicated off topic thread. Remember that personal attacks and threats are against the terms of use for this forum.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    8,850

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  21.6 KB
    I'm saving this image.. We need a like button.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    I believe this was created ash the request of myself and others because there has been an increase in political/religious/racial threads/ comments inappropriately scattered around WW.
    So the solution is to start more of it. ?



    this kind of thing does not belong here

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sparks, NV
    Posts
    8,850

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    So the solution is to start more of it. ?



    this kind of thing does not belong here
    Agree 100% But I am just a lowly member here. I have no say in that. Also when a Muslim welder joins the forum and joins the religious discussion I am sure the double standard will come into play.... and only talk of Abrahamic God will be tolerated.
    Why any religious discussion is allowed at all is beyond me. There are probably thousands of forums for religious discourse. Politics at least has an effect on us because it affects people's businesses and income, hence their ability to enjoy welding if its a hobby or as a business. Fortunately it was confined to one thread. I enjoy this forum so I will let any let live for the most part and ask nicely when I feel something is over the line. I would suggest if others feel the one way or another about what's happening on WW that you let moderators know via the report thread button or by private message
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 10-02-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    BIG SKY COUNTRY
    Posts
    583

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gar View Post
    1. Before you comment, watch both debates from beginning to end.


    3 hours & 13 minutes of material...

    No.
    Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    402

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    One god is one god too many.
    -c-

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bay Area Cali
    Posts
    900

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    It's against my religion to own any engine drive unless its a Lincoln. Plus my old man would slap me silly.

    sent while goofing off at work
    Long after the price is forgotten, the quality will remain.

    Both of my Poppy's 1954 Short Hoods -Third generation to weld with it and teaching a fourth
    SA 2## - Bought and sold more than I can remember or care to list, 8 in the shop right now

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Montreal area Canada
    Posts
    781

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    Is there a summarized version of that debate ? something like 2-3 minutes max?

    if anyone think about making me listen to that for 3 hours they can have faith but my answer remains NO.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    98

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    Let me start off by saying that I am a very religous man, I believe in God and I know that he exists. I'm very involved with our church as well, I love being involved. Now with that stated, I will also say that this welding website doesnt need to be involved with a discussion on Religion,... this sites about all things welding, plenty of other places to argue religion. I refuse to argue, I know what I believe and I'm comfortable with it as well. There is plenty of stuff to argue about in welding,...think I will go start a thread about welding up a trailer with a 110 mig from HF, or maybe a roll cage out of exhaust tubing, something constructive.
    Quality work is never Cheap, and Cheap work is never Quality!!

    If it's broke, and you're not, we can fix it!!


    Lincoln Idealarc sp200
    Century 230amp ac/dc
    Smith O/A Torches
    Huth Hyd. Pipe Bender
    other misc "cool" tools

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the free, because of the brave!
    Posts
    893

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    Is there a summarized version of that debate ? something like 2-3 minutes max?

    if anyone think about making me listen to that for 3 hours they can have faith but my answer remains NO.
    I hear ya brother, 3 hours is a big chuck of time. Per your request.

    Gar

    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch


    Genesis of a welding table


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houston Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,175

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    Even though I see it a hundred times a day I still find it most unusual to hear someone say that they believe in a God but decide that the God has no place here.

    I don't see what a believer or a disbeliever really basis their answer on yet somehow I lean to disbelief but I don't know. Perhaps its the people talking so silly about god. It is like listening to Charlie Browns teacher.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houston Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,175

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    What is meant by a higher level of understanding? Would that be believing as you believe you believe? Or would that also be someone on the fence being persuaded that he does not exist?

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    east texas
    Posts
    405

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    I am a believer, my life history has taught me there is good and evil, God and devil. Science can prove without a doubt, completely, that it is impossible for a bumble bee to fly. Science is mans thought up knowledge. I was an unbeliever, wondered if, could there be, all the fazes, now i'm here and no going back. We are granted free will, so enjoy your life your way and your beliefs, just keep an open mind, you could be wrong. God is GREAT! He has proved it to me without a doubt. What ya got to lose, try it, just talk to him. Ok i'm done.
    TA210, 180C, IDEALARC AC/DC, N.T. PLASMA

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    North of Philly
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

    Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    God is not in any way based on science. Therefore science cannot bury or disapprove God's existence in the eyes of believers. ....
    Religion is based on Faith .....
    I once had a teacher who made this statement... As close as I can remember,

    "You can change with what someone thinks, but you can't change with what someone believes...."

    The point being that true "belief" transcends reason and logic. That applies to everything, whether it's religion, politics, gun control, you name it. A person who truly "believes" something can not be swayed by any argument. A person who "thinks" something, is usually willing to evaluate information, and may or may not make changes based on the information at hand. You can sway their position if your argument is strong enough. The only one who can change what someone "believes" is that person themselves.

    He had a slightly better explanation, but that's as close as I can remember from 30+ years ago.
    .



    No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

    Ronald Reagan

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the free, because of the brave!
    Posts
    893

    Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

    Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    What is meant by a higher level of understanding? Would that be believing as you believe you believe? Or would that also be someone on the fence being persuaded that he does not exist?
    To the one who becomes convinced that God does not exist, he may well perceive that his level of understanding is higher than the one that becomes convinced that God does exist, and the opposite may be true as well. But if understanding increases with knowledge, than perhaps both can walk away with a "higher level" of civility and tolerance for one another.

    Did you watch the debates, or at least watch a portion of it?

    Gar
    Last edited by Gar; 10-02-2014 at 11:56 PM.
    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch


    Genesis of a welding table


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement