The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

View Poll Results: Did watching the debates bring you to a higher level of understanding?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 31.82%
  • No

15 68.18%
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Here is the answer to your title question.

God is not in any way based on science. Therefore science cannot bury or disapprove God's existence in the eyes of believers. I already posted this explanation. The Lennox/Dawkings debate was pointless. No basis of common standard on which to discuss the topics.
    Religion is based on Faith otherwise known as Superstition. The only difference between religion and mythology is time. Given enough time all religions become mythology.
    I like it, you know a couple thousand years ago, the sun was a god, the moon was a god, volcanos were a god, they killed or sacrifice thousands of people for these reasons.

Probably, in 2000 years, they will have another god to love or worse, Muslim will rule the world

Jeff

Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

the louder someone proclaims his faith the faster i run. in the other direction.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

Religion is based on Faith otherwise known as Superstition. The only difference between religion and mythology is time. Given enough time all religions become mythology.
    All I can say is I am glad John C Lincoln and James F Lincoln didn't share your views and were in fact deeply religious, Christian men. Because if they were not, there is an extremely high likelihood that the SA200 would never have been invented (nor many other Lincoln welders)

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionande...electric/6583/

"Over his career, J.F., as he was known, wrote frequently of his moral principles: 'If we follow the philosophy of Christ…we shall have the proper answer to the problem of lay-offs. When we treat the worker as we would like to be treated, the answer is plain. Continuous employment is needed to secure the cooperation of the worker. It is also basically sound.'”
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    the louder someone proclaims his faith the faster i run. in the other direction.
    Wise council my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    All I can say is I am glad John C Lincoln and James F Lincoln didn't share your views and were in fact deeply religious, Christian men. Because if they were not, there is an extremely high likelihood that the SA200 would never have been invented (nor many other Lincoln welders)

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionande...electric/6583/

"Over his career, J.F., as he was known, wrote frequently of his moral principles: 'If we follow the philosophy of Christ…we shall have the proper answer to the problem of lay-offs. When we treat the worker as we would like to be treated, the answer is plain. Continuous employment is needed to secure the cooperation of the worker. It is also basically sound.'”
    Louie,

That reminds me a lot of Thomas Jefferson's take on the philosophy of Christ. While he was an admire of the teachings of Jesus he also was of the opinion that the men who put the Bible together did them a great disservice by mixing in all that superstitious nonsense with them. In fact he refereed to them (the teachings of Christ) as being "diamonds in a dung hill". The "dung hill" being the Bible over all.

Jefferson wrote that “Jesus did not mean to impose himself on mankind as the son of God.” He called the writers of the New Testament “ignorant, unlettered men” who produced “superstitions, fanaticisms, and fabrications.” He called the Apostle Paul the “first corrupter of the doctrines of Jesus.” He dismissed the concept of the Trinity as “mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.” He believed that the clergy used religion as a “mere contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves” and that “in every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty.” And he wrote in a letter to John Adams that “the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter.”
    Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible

Here is my take everyone will know for sure when called home. I believe in God and have my reasons and experiences that reinforce that belief.

As to the doubters, I find it most interesting when life deals them a knock out punch. They somehow get the message and start praying, asking for help. Whatever it takes for the message to get thru is a good day for that individual.

Denying the freedom of prayer, the Lords prayer, sure has done WONDERS for the schools and your kids, has it not? When I was in school teaches taught the 3Rs too the children, today teachers molest them. Really nice what an advanced society we find ourselves living in, sounds like progress to me.
    Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Best viewed LOUD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmmyMGQojzI

And in running in this "other direction," where is it exactly that you are running to? No disrespect brother, just curious.

Gar
    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

Genesis of a welding table

I don't hate religion so much as evangelism

Do whatever makes you happy, no need to tell anyone else about it, or try to make me see it your way.
    Last edited by 12345678910; 10-03-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Liberalism is the best religion, because they get to vote for their god.
    Hobart T225
    HF 151/2 Cap mod
    HF 131/2 Cap mod
    Miller Cricket XL
    Century Portable Mig
    O/A

Agree. They can even vote themselves a little bit of heaven whenever they feel underprivileged.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
    30+ yrs Army Arty, 23 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press
    Rod Oven 300# For Sale $300.00

Quote Originally Posted by Gar View Post
    And in running in this "other direction," where is it exactly that you are running to? No disrespect brother, just curious.

Gar
    running as fast as i can away from religious wingnuts who must inject religion and scripture quotes into any and all topics. my religion, politics (most of the time) and sex life are mine alone. nobody else needs or wants to hear about them. no disrespect back at you.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

running as fast as i can away from religious wingnuts who must inject religion and scripture quotes into any and all topics. my religion, politics (most of the time) and sex life are mine alone. nobody else needs or wants to hear about them. no disrespect back at you.
    Well said!
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

This sticky needs to go.

Re: The Religious Thread. Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate.

running as fast as i can away from religious wingnuts who must inject religion and scripture quotes into any and all topics.
    I hear ya brother, not many folks tolerate the type of religious wingnut you describ. But this thread is for the purpose of respectfully discussing science, God, and religion and how they do not discredit one another. Would such a discussion as this also make you run as fast as you can in the opposite direction? If it would, then why are you reading and posting in such a thread?

There is another type of wingnut that wants any mention of God to be removed from any and all conversations, from any and all public places, and from any and all governments. Unfortunately, when such godless people eventually do become leaders of nations and kingdoms, they kill millions of people and set themselves up as gods to be worshiped by the people they let live.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

Are you apposed to the free exercise of religion, or the freedom of speech?

"And He (Jesus) said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Mark 16:15-16

Exercising one's religion does not always involve speaking, but does involve walking as Christ walked. With that said, it does not exclude proclaiming truth, and Christ is THE truth (His own words). Unfortunately, its far too easy for some to proclaim it rather than live it, and this as made many people bitter towards religion. I get that, I really do.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

That statement right there makes the Christian faith exclusive and allows for no other religion as a way to God, or heaven. All religions are not the same, and other religions do not usher people into heaven, they may make people feel good while they are on earth, but they do not solve the problem of dealing with God's justice.

If anyone has a gripe with that, don't blame me, I didn't make it up. And since its not up to me who goes to heaven, we should all be grateful that God chose to justify those who believe in Christ through the atoning death of His one and ONLY son. Amen?

Gar
    Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

Genesis of a welding table

I would never let my son die for any reason.

Jeff

Re: The Religious Thread. Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar View Post
    I hear ya brother, not many folks tolerate the type of religious wingnut you describ. But this thread is for the purpose of respectfully discussing science, God, and religion and how they do not discredit one another. Would such a discussion as this also make you run as fast as you can in the opposite direction? If it would, then why are you reading and posting in such a thread?

There is another type of wingnut that wants any mention of God to be removed from any and all conversations, from any and all public places, and from any and all governments. Unfortunately, when such godless people eventually do become leaders of nations and kingdoms, they kill millions of people and set themselves up as gods to be worshiped by the people they let live.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

Are you apposed to the free exercise of religion, or the freedom of speech?

"And He (Jesus) said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. Mark 16:15-16

Exercising one's religion does not always involve speaking, but does involve walking as Christ walked. With that said, it does not exclude proclaiming truth, and Christ is THE truth (His own words). Unfortunately, its far too easy for some to proclaim it rather than live it, and this as made many people bitter towards religion. I get that, I really do.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

That statement right there makes the Christian faith exclusive and allows for no other religion as a way to God, or heaven. All religions are not the same, and other religions do not usher people into heaven, they may make people feel good while they are on earth, but they do not solve the problem of dealing with God's justice.

If anyone has a gripe with that, don't blame me, I didn't make it up. And since its not up to me who goes to heaven, we should all be grateful that God chose to justify those who believe in Christ through the atoning death of His one and ONLY son. Amen?

Gar
    i love how every religion zombie says his is the one and only TRUTH.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Gar
    Amen, Gar, Amen
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

I would never let my son die for any reason.

Jeff
    Neither would I. But in that statement you now have ability or insight to appreciate the impact of John 3:16
    Hobart Handler 190
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Neither would I. But in that statement you now have ability or insight to appreciate the impact of John 3:16
    As far as I tell the only real impact that John 3:16 has had has been to make a complete mockery of any rational concept of justice. For some one (especially some one that's supposedly "all powerful") to stand aside while his own son got tortured to death, not for any of his own short comings or misdeeds but for the supposed failures of others well, I just don't see that there's any thing to admire about that travesty of justice.

And then on the other side of that equation you've got the people that think it would some how be acceptable to "profit" off of some one else's having been tortured to death for their supposed crimes. Forgive me but that just doesn't fit with what I consider it takes to be an honorable man. I don't know maybe I've been mislead about what it takes to be a real man but it doesn't include laying off the responsiblity for any misdeeds I may have committed on to others (past, present or future).
    Last edited by HT2-4956; 10-04-2014 at 11:08 AM.

Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost are all immortal and are one in the same being. Guess what. Jesus therefore cannot die. So no one died on that cross. They just left one form and became another. So that basic tenet of Christianity is false. It is impossible for Jesus to die for anyone's sins else God is this a mortal being..
    Plus you should be worshipping Satan. If he is the one responsible for eternally punishing all the evil doers and sinners in the world, does that not make him the good guy?
    BTW I'm not debating anything here, just pointing out a couple of the hundreds of logical fallacies and contradictions in the bible
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 10-04-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Your wrong, it's not John=3:16, it's pi=3.1416 but always use 3.14159

Jeff

southpaw, ostie

Here's a little satire on the subject I think you two might get a kick out of.

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    southpaw, ostie

I know this in the futur, we will have access to this kind of tranlator because I saw it on Startreck

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    southpaw, ostie

No I won't, no closed captions.

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    No I won't, no closed captions.
    Sorry man, I forgot about that. My bad.