The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread - Page 39
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

View Poll Results: Did watching the debates bring you to a higher level of understanding?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 28.57%
  • No

20 71.43%
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

The Holocaust is in the past. People can blame whomever they want for it but I do hope we've all learned from it because never again is now. I'm okay with "serious anti-semitism" as long as it isn't originating from a possible tick tick boom boom.
    --
    So tell me.... what do you do on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? Gather with Lutheran relatives to maintain family traditions, pass in favor of staying home to enjoy peace and solitude, go out with friends to a Chinese restaurant... something else?
    --
    I found this and sent it to a friend who is an atheist like you. Her parents are Catholic and I suggested she forward it to them as a suggestion of what they could serve for dinner at their house on Christmas day. She's got a good sense of humor like you do-
    --

Name:  atheism.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  26.6 KB
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

Christmas really doesn't have anything to do with Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    Exactly. It's up to the meaning each individual applies to it. I had the Christmas tree up the same as every year and my kids decorated it. And had a bunch of gifts under it. No religious meaning applied to it.
    If anything Christmas is the ultimate celebration honoring capitalism.....

Composed with Swype on mobile. not responsible for typos.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    The Bible says that the earth is immovable. It cannot be moved. So now is your chance to prove your point. Run outside and move the earth. Perhaps you and your friends could jump on it, or find a rocky outcrop and push it together. Maybe after that little experiment you will concede that the earth is immovable. (Ray Comfort)

The Defender's Guide for Life's Toughest Questions. Green Forest: New Leaf. 2011-02-16. p. 58. ISBN 9780890516041
    GIVE ME A PLACE TO STAND AND I WILL MOVE THE EARTH Archimedes
    "Greetings from planet Southern California"

It would be better to have a thread for those who believe and another for those who don't.
    I would think once we all commented in our appropriate thread a clear picture would emerge
    that would show the state of play and the reasons.
    I trust only in God, he put us here on a wonderful planet, and for most part we wrecked it,
    greed wrecked it,lies wrecked it, there was and is plenty for all, yet man continues to destroy.
    Religion, now that's a different subject, religion is not of God, its man made, made to control
    divide and destroy, none of which comes form a good place.
    On the other hand, Christianity is believing in Christ and his teachings,
    the Bible, a simple book written over centuries, no collusion, in its basic interpretation it is
    nothing more than a history of the people times and teachings of Jesus, and for those who
    don't believe in the past, theres even a section titled Revelations that points to the future.
    Never will you read a book where so much is said in such few words with such meaning and importance.

Only my views, I hope they encourage someone.

Regards and Happy New Year to all, john
    Last edited by Windingroads; 01-03-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar View Post
    I do not agree with the picture quote. The old saying that people are basically good (with some exceptions) sounds good on the surface, but i believe it does not hold up under examination.

Ever have teach your kids..
    To be selfish?
    To hit a sibling?
    To take something that is not theirs?
    To have a temper tantrum?
    To be mean?
    To lie?

I think you get my point. No one teaches their children how to misbeave, but how to behave. And since we are all born with the same nature to misbehave, and must therefore be taught how to behave, we must then reason where did this standard come from, it surely did not come from with in us, for none of us left to himself or herself would have changed.

The change always comes from outside us. And this change ultimately comes from God, who not only told us how to act, but demonstrated it in the person of Jesus Christ. He did thus as a demonstration of His mercy, so we would not consume one another in our lusts. Now with that said, not all religions are the same, there is bad religion, and there is good. By their fruits you shall know them the Lord Jesus taught.

Gar
    I agree, and I believe we are all born sinners, none of us are clean or pure in thought or action,
    but how we end up being different is our own choice, we all face the same spiritual battle day in
    day out, there is something inside us all that makes us question, makes us feel uneasy, we know
    right from wrong from the very beginning, now why is that, its because our creator wanted to
    give us every chance to one day be reunited with Him, he left an emptiness in us all that needs
    to be filled, its how and what we fill this void with that directs us in this journey that will end in
    only one of two places, an eternity side by side with our creator, or an eternity somewhere else.
    Its not about religion, religion is man made, its about life or death, the choice is our own to make.

Regards, john

john,

Great Spark man, with that kind of poisonous metaphysics it's no wonder "you people" are known for having a problem with the uisce beatha. Just reading your last two posts has me wanting to pour a healthy dose of Bushmills in to my morning coffee.

john,

Great Spark man, with that kind of poisonous metaphysics it's no wonder "you people" are known for having a problem with the uisce beatha. Just reading your last two posts has me wanting to pour a healthy dose of Bushmills in to my morning coffee.
    Your welcome, what's really funny is I don't drink Alcohol, yet I am in hysterics
    trying to understand how alcohol will change anything for you, surely your not drinking
    it instead of water, at the price of it, thank you so much for the entertainment you provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Windingroads View Post
    Your welcome, what's really funny is I don't drink Alcohol, yet I am in hysterics
    trying to understand how alcohol will change anything for you, surely your not drinking
    it instead of water, at the price of it, thank you so much for the entertainment you provide.
    What??? An Irishman that doesn't drink alcohol? That's just crazy talk. I'd sooner believe that some where out there, there's a Scotsman that was born with arms long enough to actually reach the bottoms of his pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan23 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. No matter the decorations, the presents, or the family gathering, it is still the day I celebrate the birth of my Savior.

Well said Windingroads.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo2327 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. No matter the decorations, the presents, or the family gathering, it is still the day I celebrate the birth of my Savior.
    It may be when people celebrate the birth of Jesus, but most people know he wasn't born in December. The magi found Jesus quite some time after his birth. The tradition of decorating an evergreen tree predates Christianity. The Roman celebration of the winter solstice was on the 25th of December. And when the Roman emperor Constantine "converted" to Christianity, possibly as a means of unifying his empire, he started blending Christian and pagan traditions. Also he was instrumental in establishing the celebration of Jesus's birth on December 25th, more than 300 years after Jesus's time. Also he convened the nicene Council on 325 AD in which they "voted" on important doctrines of the church, as if that is a legitimate way of separating truth from error.
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 01-07-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Yes I am aware that Dec. 25 isn't the actual day of Jesus birth, and thankfully Jesus isn't interested in whether I follow the letter of "religious" law. He is interested in my heart, and my relationship with Him.

Be that as it may, and I respect that, I believe it's still important to realize what was originally celebrated on the 25th, just because they changed the name of the holiday doesn't mean the changed what they're celebrating. They co-opted the name of Jesus to celebrate their holiday, which to me, as a Christian, is offensive.

Phil, The Romans celebrated Saturnalia near the end of December, there were honoring a TOTALLY DIFFERENT FOD. They were honoring Saturn, the God of agriculture. The Roman emperor Constantine pushed Christianity on the masses and appeased them by combining the new religion with the old traditions. To be clear, they were not originally celebrating Jesus.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Dec 25?? They (you) (who-ever) start Chuy's birthday celebration on 'Black Friday'. Xma$ $ea$on $tart$ the day after Thankgiving, didnt yah know?
    "Greetings from planet Southern California"

Actually there's very little (if any thing) that's original in the Christian Bible. All that supernatural nonsense about things like a Virgin Birth and coming back to Life after being dead, etc. etc. (ad nauseum) was all stolen from earlier Pagan beliefs.

And as to all those people that collected all that contradictory (and philosophically poisonous) nonsense up into what became the Christian Bible and then put all that effort into building a religion around it... well, don't be fooled into thinking they did it for the benefit of their "fellow man". They did it for the sole purpose of accruing power an privilege unto themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    Phil, The Romans celebrated Saturnalia near the end of December, there were honoring a TOTALLY DIFFERENT FOD. They were honoring Saturn, the God of agriculture. The Roman emperor Constantine pushed Christianity on the masses and appeased them by combining the new religion with the old traditions. To be clear, they were not originally celebrating Jesus.
    This is precisely my point

Actually there's very little (if any thing) that's original in the Christian Bible. All that supernatural nonsense about things like a Virgin Birth and coming back to Life after being dead, etc. etc. (ad nauseum) was all stolen from earlier Pagan beliefs.
    It's not nonsense, whatever you may think. One day you'll see otherwise.

You thinking it's nonsense doesn't change anything, a million people thinking it's nonsense doesn't change anything, if 90% of people in the world thought it was nonsense it still wouldn't change anything.

If you saw someone doing some of that supernatural "nonsense" you might think differently.

Anyway, this isn't really going anywhere. Until one of us has proof to prove what we believe, we're not gonna get anywhere having this conversation.
    Last edited by MetalMan23; 01-10-2017 at 09:12 PM.

I just wonder when Atheists are going to admit they're a Religion, I don't know there their church is but they have beliefs, they witness to convert followers, they have a societal hierarchy, and they think everybody else is wrong. If you don't believe in a god or any god why are you convinced you have to "educate" everyone who you think is wrong.

As an aside, can we all agree those Scientologist people are crazy.
    That the purpose was unattainable, if not foolish, was not so important,
    Dr. Alvin Weinberg on the Aircraft Reactor Experiment
    http://energyfromthorium.com/ http://thoriumremix.com/2016/

Try prying science away from technology. Science gives us global cooling hoaxes, technology gives us can openers.

Science takes as much faith as anything else if you can't account for ALL your own data. If I take anybody's word that their data is solid, I have exercised faith, not science.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by tanglediver View Post
    Try prying science away from technology. Science gives us global cooling hoaxes, technology gives us can openers.

Science takes as much faith as anything else if you can't account for ALL your own data. If I take anybody's word that their data is solid, I have exercised faith, not science.
    It's not "Science" per se that's given us the current batch of climate hoaxes but rather the "government funding" of scientific research that's corrupted the process.

In order for it to be science you'd have to follow the scientific method, all Al Gore and his cronies did is look for data that supported their conclusion, therefore not scientific. What really kills me is the same people that say "ohh I'm a scientist, global warming if fact, deny that the north pacific gyre is full of plastic (The Garbage Island) because the only guy studying it according to them "isn't a scientist." Speaking of technology, in the fifties and sixties Oak Ridge National Laboratory did an experiment on a molten salt reactor, probably would have changed the world if this technology had been pursued. But, between government and the more radical than religious people known as anti-nuke activists, the technology got shelved. This literally could have changed the world more than any religions impact.
    That the purpose was unattainable, if not foolish, was not so important,
    Dr. Alvin Weinberg on the Aircraft Reactor Experiment
    http://energyfromthorium.com/ http://thoriumremix.com/2016/

GunDoc,

One of your fellow Houstonians has a political blog I've been reading at for some time. I think you might find it useful for staying informed about what some of your local and State politicians are getting up to.

http://objectivelyhouston.com/the-two-faces-of-statism/