fire bricks
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: fire bricks

fire bricks

I am a hobbie welder, new to the practice and wanted to know where I can find fire bricks. I live in florida where the fireplace is a rarety so home depot and lowes don't cary them. The bricks are pretty heavy so I'd rather not order them online.

Re: fire bricks

Are you making a forge or a kiln? I'm not familiar with how fire bricks would be used in welding.

If you're not in a hurry, and don't need more than a few, you might post a "wanted" ad in your local FreeCycle or Craigslist; never know what is there if you don't ask. Otherwise, call some industrial burner, furnace or blacksmithing suppliers; Google can likely find some in your area.

I don't have a welding table yet. I read they're a good base for the metal to lay on instead of concrete

Thanks for your help

If you're looking for a fire resistant concrete like surface, I suggest patio tiles.
    Fire bricks are designed to be used in oven like environments to withstand heat through and through. That makes them weaker than normal brick or concrete, and no more resistant to the extreme heat of welding than plain concrete. A welding table is exposed to hot objects (so you want something that won't burn), but isn't heated itself (unless you're pre and post heating cast iron for welding).

Just be sure to keep the brick or tile dry. If it gets wet, the heat will cause the surface to spall, and chips can get launched at you (shouldn't be dangerous if you're wearing goggles though).

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    If you're looking for a fire resistant concrete like surface, I suggest patio tiles.
    Fire bricks are designed to be used in oven like environments to withstand heat through and through. That makes them weaker than normal brick or concrete, and no more resistant to the extreme heat of welding than plain concrete. A welding table is exposed to hot objects (so you want something that won't burn), but isn't heated itself (unless you're pre and post heating cast iron for welding).

Just be sure to keep the brick or tile dry. If it gets wet, the heat will cause the surface to spall, and chips can get launched at you (shouldn't be dangerous if you're wearing goggles though).
    i.e.
    Ceramic tiles possibly.....
    After all, it is the material that encompass the end portion of your out tig torches.
    1981 Lincoln SA 200
    Miller Trailblazer 302g
    Miller 211 Mig Welder w/ Autoset
    I'm learning to stick metal together

Look in your local yellow pages under "Bricks", and look for your local brickyard. Most likely, they will have Refractory Brick (aka Fire Brick). Should be 2-3 bucks a piece.

_kevin

Harwood Brick Distributers, Gainesville Fl if yur nearby they either have it or can order it.
    Bob
    I'm spending my Kids inheritance, I dont like him that much anyway!!!!!!
    Enuff tools to do the job, enough sense to use em.
    Anybody got a spare set of kidneys? Trade?

Quote Originally Posted by karchiba View Post
    Look in your local yellow pages under "Bricks", and look for your local brickyard. Most likely, they will have Refractory Brick (aka Fire Brick). Should be 2-3 bucks a piece.

_kevin
    I thought I was the only old-fashioned one who still did that!

I have used fire bricks when soldering, brazing and yes, sometimes welding, with no quick adverse effects to the bricks...although they do eventually wear out. Blast furnaces also need to be relined, eventually.

ifyou find em get some extrra..they are very delicate and wont last long..

We got a local building material dealer who has them in stock, they come in different thicknesses. The thinner ones about as thick as pavers, and the regular brick sized.......bricks.

Shipping would be steep though, from here to Florida.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

There is a mineral supply store in Tampa that may have them. They delivered stuff to me in Orlando
    using their big truck. Cant remember their name now. Google "tampa" and "minerals"
    There are 2 kinds of brick. heavy dense kind used in fireplaces.
    another super lightweight low density kind used in gas kilns (like styrofoam - fragile )
    Tim