Argon Gas Cylinder Valve Problem
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Argon Gas Cylinder Valve Problem

When I bought my used TIG welder it came with a 300 cu. ft. argon tank. I tried to use it the other day and the valve is faulty (guessing by the weight that there is actually gas in the tank).

The tank seems full and was sold as such, but nothing comes out if the valve is open. I've put a regulator on it as well and no gas.

Am I missing something or do I just have a cylinder with a bad valve? What can I do to repair besides trying to take it somewhere to empty and replace the valve?

It's likely a rental tank because there is a name stamped on the collar, although the name doesn't come up under a google search.

Ideally, I'd like to trade it in for some credit on a refill or at least use the gas.
    Last edited by bluduk15; 09-15-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Re: Argon Gas Cylinder Valve Problem

Nothing comes out of the valve, and you think it "seems full"? That's a good one.
    Have you considered that it might be empty?

Yes, I've considered that. But, guessing by the weight, it feels full. (edited OP to clear that part up)
    Last edited by bluduk15; 09-15-2010 at 12:36 AM.

An empty 300CF cylinder should weigh -around- 135lbs. That's not so light on its own.
    300CF of argon adds just over 33lbs to the weight (if that were helium inside, it would only add 3.3lbs, so yeah, argon is kinda heavy).
    You have a scale? I don't think I could tell the difference between 135lbs and 168 by just feeling it.

I know that if I leave the valve open on my argon cylinder (granted, its only 80CF), even with the valve stopping the flow in my welder, it will be empty overnight.

Make sure the valve wheel/handle....the flower looking thing you turn is not stripped, or the valve stem is not rounded off. To do so, remove the wheel/handle....buy removing the little nut in the middle. Place a wrench on the square stem and turn. If nothing happens, it's empty.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

Quote Originally Posted by wagin View Post
    Make sure the valve wheel/handle....the flower looking thing you turn is not stripped, or the valve stem is not rounded off. To do so, remove the wheel/handle....buy removing the little nut in the middle. Place a wrench on the square stem and turn. If nothing happens, it's empty.
    Thanks, that's good advice--also about the weights above. I know the weight can be deceiving and will try to get scale out there tonight.

The cylinder has a Tare weight (empty weight) stamped on it somewhere.