burned eyes
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: burned eyes

burned eyes

i have been welding for 3 years about and was wondering if anyone had any old remedies for burned eyes. thanks.

I'd start with a cold (rag) compress. If it really bothers you, you should probably consult an opthomologist and ask him/her. I am sure they probably see this kind of stuff all the time. Also, check your shade. Make sure you have the appropriate shading for the kind of stuff you are doing...you may want to go darker if your eyes are more sensitive than average.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

I don't think there's any kind of remedy, just ride it off. That's what my welding instructor has said and he's been in the business for about 25 years.
    RD

1984 Chevrolet C30 flatbed dually 454 V8 - 4 speed stick
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Continental F162
    1947 Lincoln SAE300 Hercules JXD
    1942 Lincoln SA200 Hercules IXB-5, rebuilding

Depends if you really burned them good or not. If they feel like they are full of sand, on fire and about to bulge out of your head, you should see a doctor. Other than that, lay down, keep them closed, cold compresses, plenty of aspirin, and wait.

Don't do it again. Someone we won't talk about had to go through it twice before he learned anything.

I have been told that potato "juice" will help them feel better. Best to see a doctor though. If you do use the "juice", squeeze the potatos onto a rag and cover your eyes with the rag.

Potatoe juice does work. For me anyways. Slice and pulp a half a potatoe. Strain it thru a coffee filter(dont use paper towels or you get paper fibers)Then use 1-2 drops per eye. I've done that a couple of times and it helps.

Cold used tea bags It does help, I've used it myself.

Stephen

Beer, yes definately beer. Akyhol cures everything.

look....

when you "flash" yourself
    the best thing right away to do is stare into a flourecent light for a couple of mins right after you flash...dont put the mask down just stop and stare

i've been welding for a good 30 yrs now and not once have i had the sand or burning sensation...

if you flash you stare

dont ask me how it works..it just does

...zap!

Tea Bags and Sunglasses....Its an Ye Olde English cure!!!!!!

I've heard you can lay cheesecloth over your eyes and put potato slices on top of the cheesecloth. Of course, I wasn't told that until the day after I recovered from flashing my eyes... very painful... I don't recommend it!

The tea bag method sounds interesting. I have more tea bags around the house than cheesecloth (I'm not really even sure what cheesecloth is!)
    Sure, I can fix it... I got a welder!!!

I have heard that potato starch or cut potato can help with burns to the eyes never tried it thats just what I hear

on second thought... beer does seem to be the best choice

I had it happen twice used eye drops from the doctor the first time, but the second time(my fault this time) I used a combo of potato on the eyes and alcohol in the body (worked very well in both cases). And stay out of the bright sunlight or wear dark glasses until they feel better.
    Why buy when you can build

My uncle ( welded 40 + years ) told me to put a couple drops of evaporated milk in the eyes. Said it worked miracles.

Ive used potato slices. Ive used visine. Ive gotten drops from the eye doc. Potatoes work good as a home remedy. The docs are even better. I got mine from family physican
    IF it Catches...Let it Burn

i have white metal walls in my shop and my girlfriend just turned her head while i was welding, well she got the reflection and with that got the sand burning sensation, she was miserable, i put potatos in the fridge and when they were cold, i sliced them about 1/4 in thick and about the size of a 1/2 dollar, laid them on her eyes for 10-15 min. at a time depends on how quick the cold goes out of the potato, just keep putting fresh ones on, and you would not believe how much relief she got from this, i did this for about a hour and she said it was the only thing that helped, i took her to the eye doctor the next day and the doctor said that the potato peels would have been what he recommend also, it works i swear

I got flash burns 25 years ago with the burning sandy eyes. Went to the doctor and they put drops in both eyes and patches on them. I have scaring in the eyes from the burns but no permanent damage. Go directly to a doctor do not try home remedies.

Neil

When you guys mean burning eyes. Do you mean from the bright light or actual metal burning your eyes from sparks of some sort?

Flash burns are from looking directly at the arc during welding without any eye protection. It's similar to looking directly at the Sun.

Neil

yep if bad see da DOC,, been there done that, and spuds work but be safe never let friends watch

To avoid even getting "flash" wear your safety glasses with side shields under your helmet and all the time in the shop. Do that and you won't get flash. Some people just never get it!

b

Burned eyes are like sunburned skin. Anything cold will work. Best thing is to figure out how you got burned and how not to do it again. Gold plated lenses with a scratch is a sure thing.

The real question is why is the welder even on when your hood is not don't see how one gets flashed BADLY. Yes I've gotten flashed, but never to the point when I couldnt quickly turn away or shut my eyes and usually its from someone else. But how does one flash themselves so long it burns and requires medical attention.

If you are welding with over 300 amps GMAW there is very little smoke to diffuse the arc radiation. The guy next to you starts up while you have just raised your helmet. For some reason you are not wearing your safety glasses with side shields and you will get flashed. Two or three good ones when you are only a couple of feet away will do it. It takes a lot to get eye flash when only running 50 amps on bodywork. At 300 amps eye lids do not protect your eyes!
    If you are tack welding cover the nozzle of your gun with your free hand to block the arc. This is common practice in large shops when you have to do a lot of tack welding.
    The only person I have ever seen who made a workers compensation claim for eye flash while wearing his safety glasses was wearing them on the top of his head while tack welding. This guy didn't have many brain cells which was understandable considering his lifestyle.