Log Splitter/Shop Press???
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Log Splitter/Shop Press???

Hi Gang!

Here's a weird question for you all.

As space and of course money is always limited to me, I'm always trying to think outside the box in ways to accomplish things in my home shop.

One of the tools on my list to purchase is a 20 ton shop press. My biggest problem is the space it will take up in my 2 car garage. I already have a car on one side and a utility trailer on the other jammed in there. The trailer acts as a storage unit for my 22 ton Huskee log splitter and a 2 ton engine hoist and some other misc items...

In looking at the log splitter and wanting to buy a shop press, I got to thinking for the amount of use I would use the press and the dedicated space it would take up in my garage, why not fabricate a few items to mod to the log splitter? The splitter is rated at 22 tons and it acts a lot like a shop press. It has an immovable foot which would act as the base of the press and a wedge on a 45* that would act as the press. I know it is not very wide but I would not need it to be for what I would be doing. If I wanted to bend something I could use the wedge with a modded foot or if I needed it flat I could mod a bracket to go over the wedge...

What do you all think? Anyone ever try doing this before?

I know I'm limited to the length of the work I can use with this but...

Good idea? Bad idea? Problems???

Thanks!

Re: Log Splitter/Shop Press???

I've thought about it. Never done it.

Take a look at this page for some food for thought:
    http://metalshopborealis.ca/press/press.htm

I've been wondering about this too. I don't have need for a log splitter, so I thought fabricating a typical stand up frame and then mounting the log splitter cylinder to the frame in the manner shop presses are done. Will the cylinder work in an upright position though?

Darn good idea. Just need to think about the ergonomics of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgrinder View Post
    I've been wondering about this too. I don't have need for a log splitter, so I thought fabricating a typical stand up frame and then mounting the log splitter cylinder to the frame in the manner shop presses are done. Will the cylinder work in an upright position though?
    The splitter is a horizontal/vertical so it can be used either way.

Well I use mine almost everyday for a press and a brake. I cant belive it took me so long to think this up. I also have WAY more fun with it now than I ever did using it to split wood!!!
    I make a V block for bending, It will bend 3/4" x 6" 90 degress. Mine is 20 tons rated but it really pushes!!!
    Using it as a press, I got 2 I beams and sandwich everything around the place, I went from one bent thing to everything else!!!
    So far, So GOOD!!!
    Later, Paul
    The buggyman

Buggyman, do you use your press in a horizontal position or did you fabricate an upright frame? What's the highest ton that splitters are available in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelgrinder View Post
    Buggyman, do you use your press in a horizontal position or did you fabricate an upright frame? What's the highest ton that splitters are available in ?
    Hi Steelgrinder

Well I have one of the best log splitters made; it works upright or horizontal. I use it which ever way works best for what I'm doing.
    Once apon a time I purchased 32 of these log splitters new. The company was closing up and I put in a bid for one or all. Well I got a lot of them! Most of them were the 20 ton model, some 25 ton and a couple of 30 tons. The only difference was the size of the cylinder. I used each size, what I found out was that I never stoped the 20 ton, the larger ones just took longer to cycle so, I keep a 20 ton; it's a great machine!!! I split about a half of a cord of wood with it tonight and it works as good today as it did 15 years ago when it was new.
    Have fun splitting, or bending, or braking, well whatever....
    Paul