Champion 8500
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Champion 8500

Champion 8500

I bought a champion 8500 onan performer p216g yesterday to keep on my service truck, it was in pretty rough shape, wasn't even sure if it ran, plus it doesn't have a hour meter so it was a gamble, but i picked it up for $350 so i'm happy. Took it home, changed out oil, gas, all the filters, spark plugs and wires, battery, opened it up, blew it all out, it started right up runs good, welds, outlets work. One of the plug wire terminals were corroded and stuck inside the coil and I had to drill out, worked out good. All I need now is a new rheostat, (about half of it is burned out), one of the outlet circuit breakers, a new feul guage (the old one is busted and leaks feul out of it), and not sure if I should change out the brushes (the armature has some groves on it) what's the best place to get this stuff online? I found a miller rheostat on ebay but it was a 30 ohm version, the manual says this is a 10 ohm, will it work? Thanks for any help

Oh yeah, I also need to adjust the valves, any tutorial on this motor anywhere?

Re: Champion 8500

should be able to find a service manual for your engine here:http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm
    Felon

ps Sorry i jumped the gun,my hobart has a kohler engine
    Caution lurker lives here
    " hmmm That is serious,pass the ganja and pick up a 24 of MGD"

You're going to have to stick with the right resistant rheostat and here's http://miller4less.com/ the best on-line place I know of (other than eBay) for Miller/Hobart parts.

PM me an e-mail address and I'll send you a manual for the P216G.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

look on the rheostat there should be part numbers look them up at newark.com or another electronics distrib these parts are super cheep but to buy one from miller/hobart or another brand name you pay a premium. besides it's not like miller or hobart makes them themselves.

Good point popeye, don't know why I didn't think of that

Yes popeye - good point. I wasn't thinking.

Millers:
    http://miller4less.com/advanced_sear...eywords=205839
    $76.13

Allied Electronics (one of my favorites):
    http://www.alliedelec.com/variable-r...423-4294966719
    $50.81
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Found one at gopher electronics for about $40 shipped, all the other welding sites had it for $85+, was kinda tough finding one with the same specs 10ohm, 100watt. As for the circuit breaker, I found some on eBay for cheap, dealing with the gas gauge next, also can't find any Hobart decals, I might have a local shop cut them out for me