Just bought a TIG welder, ideas for making money?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just bought a TIG welder, ideas for making money?

Hooray, I just bought a Lincoln invertec v205-t AC/DC and am stoked! It was a pretty big investment for me and I'm trying to figure out some ways I can make some money with it. So far I have the following suggestions:

repair cracked alloy wheels
    repair/resurface alloy headers
    fence repair

But, I need more ideas. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on how to hustle up some work with a portable TIG welder. I'm in So-Cal, just in case you are worried about losing some of your own business locally.

I also have a plumber who needs some small-bore pipe welded from time to time....

Re: Just bought a TIG welder, ideas for making money?

I'd probably toss cracked wheels in the trash. That's a liability issue you might not want to get into. There are wheel refinishers out there, but I'd still do a lot of research before jumping into that one.

Just my thoughts.
    Kevin

Hobart Handler 210
    Lincoln Squarewave Tig 175

I agree with trackbird im not to sure you want to jump into a liability thing such as welding rims. just let people know that you have one and with in a week or two you will have someone asking you to repair something. but just make sure you know what your getting into when you repair things. and some people will ask you to build other things from a fresh start

Contact some boat repair shops, if you like welding cracked aluminum boat hulls and fabricating various stainless parts.

I do aluminum rim crack repairs, as long as they're forged, billet machined or spun. No cast though. Be sure you know what you're doing, if you want to work on wheels that go on cars.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Quote Originally Posted by insterno View Post
    Hooray, I just bought a Lincoln invertec v205-t AC/DC and am stoked! It was a pretty big investment for me and I'm trying to figure out some ways I can make some money with it. So far I have the following suggestions:

fence repair

But, I need more ideas. I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on how to hustle up some work with a portable TIG welder. I'm in So-Cal, just in case you are worried about losing some of your own business locally.

I also have a plumber who needs some small-bore pipe welded from time to time....
    If you're SoCal, the first thing you need to do is meet and greet the jeep clubs and desert rats. They bleed money in search of the perfect off road rig, much of which requires extensive welding and TIG work for things like cargo racks, roll cages and even tire racks. One word of caution, make sure you know what you are doing and practice on your own scrap before you put yourself out to paying customers. You'll never live down a bad name if you try to just "wing it". Having a welder is one thing, but having familiarity with the machine to turn profit doesn't come overnight.

I used to be stationed in San Diego years back in the USN. I had a side gig working for myself when time allowed. I worked everything from custom fab parts for the baja pre-runners to simple residential security gates for yards, windows.doors etc.. My biggest repeat customer was the off road shops who needed suspension tab brackets and suspension arms welded up for dune buggies and golf carts. You'd be amazed how much you can make with a plasma cutter, welder of any type in that region. Don't forget putting your name out with the local construction crews who do residential dirt work, They are always breaking bucket edges, quick attachment plates on skid loaders and mini excavators. Most of that stuff is 1/4" to 5/16" plate. (I still do alot of this type of work still, but I am a turn key equipment repair contractor. I rebuild hyd equipment, engines and chassis parts as needed).

Mark up the price and re-sell.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

insterno,
    just want to say, we have the Lincoln Invertec 205 at work. It is a really nice capable machine with all the features of preflow/postbflow, upslope/downslope, DC/AC, AC frequency, %DCEN/DCEP, lift arc/HF arc start, and more. Good score for you. Wish I had this at the house.

(Hey, one more post closer to graduating from "craftsman", sorry it had little quality, just support for a brother).

Weld up cracked Aluminum heads off local hot rodders and let the machine shop do the cleanup
    SQUARE WAVE 175 TIG
    DUAL MIG 151

Insterno, I've ordered the Miller Dynasty 200DX, and am targeting the local dirt and street bikers, snowmobilers and ATVers (all these people are very hard on their equipment), as well as local auto machine shops that subcontract their welding. I looked at the Lincoln before deciding on the Miller. What was your deciding factor(s) with the Lincoln?

First question I'd ask the OP is "Does he know how to tig weld?"

Just because you have a tig welder (machine), doesn't mean you know how to use it.

Making money with a machine is more a factor of what he's capable of, not what the machine can do.

I know guys with Dynasty 350's and Sync 350's that I wouldn't trust to repair a lawn mower deck.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by trackbird View Post
    I'd probably toss cracked wheels in the trash. That's a liability issue you might not want to get into. There are wheel refinishers out there, but I'd still do a lot of research before jumping into that one.

Just my thoughts.
    Good call, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTrocewicz View Post
    Insterno, I've ordered the Miller Dynasty 200DX, and am targeting the local dirt and street bikers, snowmobilers and ATVers (all these people are very hard on their equipment), as well as local auto machine shops that subcontract their welding. I looked at the Lincoln before deciding on the Miller. What was your deciding factor(s) with the Lincoln?
    Well, I think they're both fine machines. I guess the tie breaker for me was that the Lincoln has a better duty cycle (100 amp @ 100% for Miller vs 140 amps at 100% for the Lincoln). Also I've welded with both, and while they both seem to perform very well, I felt a little more comfortable with the Lincoln, I suppose that's purely subjective though. I also wasn't keen on the little door that covers most of the controls on the Miller, although I suppose that could be removed. I guess lastly, price, I could get the Lincoln for about $250 less, money I was willing to spend if there were an advantage, but I didn't really see one.

Wrong machine to make money... You need a printing press for that. Its illegal to make money too! You can earn money but only the government can make it. The only time your going to earn money is when your income exceeds your expenses. Put a posting on craigslist to repair implements for farmers in the farm and garden section. Also put adds in the automotive, motorcycle and rvs sections about your ablilites to weld etc. Go to equipment rental shops and see if they have any work they will contract with you on. Visit construction companies for broken buckets, etc that you can weld up for them. There are many things that you can do to get your name out there, but the only way that it will profit is that you actually get the work. That lawyer might get $250 an hour, but he will only get it if someone is willing to pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartcephus View Post
    ...Put a posting on craigslist to repair implements for farmers in the farm and garden section. Also put adds in the automotive, motorcycle and rvs sections about your ablilites to weld etc. ...
    The Craigslist thing is only okay if you're a legal business, right?

Remember this post: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=3539

--zip

Zip: that link goes to a shielding gas/argon problem not a legal business issue...are you sure it's the right one?

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=35394

oops... cut off the last digit of the thread #... Long post, makes for an interesting read.

Thanks, that's an interesting thread/topic

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    First question I'd ask the OP is "Does he know how to tig weld?"

Just because you have a tig welder (machine), doesn't mean you know how to use it.

Making money with a machine is more a factor of what he's capable of, not what the machine can do.

I know guys with Dynasty 350's and Sync 350's that I wouldn't trust to repair a lawn mower deck.
    have you ever had anything good to say

Well Ed Hack,

I must say that having to deal with dolts like you has a lot to do with establishing my "attitude".

First thing so many new welders want to do is figure out how to make money welding with their new machines. Little do they realize that the customer pays for training and experience. Something most hacks like you lack. All you're doing with your "carport welding" is taking food off the table of a professional welder WHO KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING and driving up the liability insurance rates for those truly running a business.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

Ed you are a sad case just sad.
    Ranger 250 GXT
    Smith Gas Axe

Quote Originally Posted by insterno View Post

fence repair

Take a job at McDonald's? lol

Why does every thread have to turn into some drama fest on here. I've been on this forum for about a week and can't go a day without reading some insulting comments from one poster to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle72 View Post
    Why does every thread have to turn into some drama fest on here. I've been on this forum for about a week and can't go a day without reading some insulting comments from one poster to another.
    The knitting forum is one page to the left. You might want to check it out. lol

No one asked you to: nor demands you to: READ the insulting posts, do they?

Have a beer and enjoy.

personally I think the ed mac v. sundown fued is the most entertaining thing on since the office season finale. go get some popcorn

You can repair car parts, ie exhaust pipes, but probably better off working with bike parts. Many motor bikes now have stainless steel parts. I know a friend of mine who works for a few bike shops making and repairing parts in his spare time. He is a sheet metal worker by trade.