Bought An 80 AMP Inverter Arc Welder #91110
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Bought An 80 AMP Inverter Arc Welder #91110

I normally NEVER buy Harbor Freight welders, but I needed something to plug into a 110 at some of the chain stores I service when I cant leave my leads in the doorways. I was seriously considering the Miller maxstar 150 STL. I could not bring myself to spend that kinda money on something so small. So I started doing some research an found this little 80 amp Inverter ( DC )! 99% of the 30 reviews I read were good. After getting it out of the box and burning some rod, the first thing I did was replace that crappy stinger. It does good for what I bought it for. I also bought a tig lead and have not had the chance to try that out yet. I cut some 1/8 scraps and welded them up using 3/32 6011. Seems to get very good penetration. The beads dont look to bad either. With everything I got it came in at $175 bucks with 20% cupons ans 2 year replacement warranty. I would recomend this to anyone, just keeping in mind that it is only 80 amps.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Bought An 80 AMP Inverter Arc Welder #91110

More Pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Sorry about the blurry pics, I am not a photographer.

Its a very good little welder for the $$$. i have had mine for about 2 years now and its great. I tig alot with mine. Heres a quick vid i made with it tigging!

Ya gotta spend money to make money!

Quote Originally Posted by welderShane View Post
    Its a very good little welder for the $$$. i have had mine for about 2 years now and its great. I tig alot with mine. Heres a quick vid i made with it tigging!

WOW um... that's very interesting.

I'm intrigued now.

So... couldn't one convert a ac/dc tombstone to tig pretty easily? What would be the difference between that and a starter store bought tig welder?

Quote Originally Posted by welderShane View Post

Nice, I think it will do pretty good for my tig needs. This thing will beat the hell out of dragging around the big machines when I dont have to. What gas and regs are you using with that set up? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
    So... couldn't one convert a ac/dc tombstone to tig pretty easily? What would be the difference between that and a starter store bought tig welder?
    Yes, but really only to do DC tig on steel and stainless. AC tig requires a HF box and the cost of that is usually more than a decent used AC/DC tig. Tozzi did a great post on his basic DC scratch start rig. It will work on and DC stick machine.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=38106

I'm not quite sure what you mean by.
    starter store bought tig welder
    With a dedicated tig you usually get a solenoid to automatically turn on the gas, HF start to help get the arc started, better fine control over your amps, a remote hook up for a pedal so you can adjust your amps as you weld (BIG help over the basic scratch start tig), and in better units advanced functions like pulse, blance adjustment (AC), hertz adjustment (on some inverters) and so on.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Looked online at HF for the inverter did not see the tig lead, do you have the part # for it as well? thanks Jeff.

The tig lead I got was item #66921

Here is the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...tig-torch.html

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by. With a dedicated tig you usually get a solenoid to automatically turn on the gas, HF start to help get the arc started, better fine control over your amps, a remote hook up for a pedal so you can adjust your amps as you weld (BIG help over the basic scratch start tig), and in better units advanced functions like pulse, blance adjustment (AC), hertz adjustment (on some inverters) and so on.
    Sorry, sometimes it's hard for me to form coherant sentences early in the morning.

I'm just trying to compare this to a cheap 110v DC tig setup that you can buy whole... such as a ThermalArc 95S. I'm trying to compare my 110v options...

My goal is to be able to do bodywork, motorcycle tanks, performance exhaust headers / turbo manifolds, intercooler piping fabrication etc.

I have a little AC 110v stick welder (100 amp) that I'm borrowing... I have a lead on a Lincoln 140 MIG for ~$300... but this is really interesting.

I can't help but wonder that the 80 amp harbor freight inverter would be good because I could stick weld the thicker metals for shop/home stuff, and use the tig torch for the other things I listed.

I have to keep in mind that I have zero TIG experience right now, but when I want to learn something, I go all out and LEARN it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
    I'm just trying to compare this to a cheap 110v DC tig setup that you can buy whole... such as a ThermalArc 95S. I'm trying to compare my 110v options...

My goal is to be able to do bodywork, motorcycle tanks, performance exhaust headers / turbo manifolds, intercooler piping fabrication etc.

I have a little AC 110v stick welder (100 amp) that I'm borrowing... I have a lead on a Lincoln 140 MIG for ~$300... but this is really interesting.

I can't help but wonder that the 80 amp harbor freight inverter would be good because I could stick weld the thicker metals for shop/home stuff, and use the tig torch for the other things I listed.

I have to keep in mind that I have zero TIG experience right now, but when I want to learn something, I go all out and LEARN it.

Keep in mind the max on this machine is 80 amps. At best you may be able to run 3/32" rods, but 1/16" and 5/64" are better choices for most stuff. You just don't have the balls to run heavier rods. The 95S has a few more amps, and that makes a big difference in the size rods it will run. Also with the better inverters, they have electronics that are designed to boost performance on hard to run start rods like 6010 as well as others. None of these small machines will really weld "thicker" metal. Medium thickness maybe, thin yes. It comes down to input power. Even with the best machines, you only get so much out on 110v with a standard outlet.

The TA95S is a nice machine. I looked at one for a railing job. All the material I'd need to weld on site was 1/8" or less. I'd have gotten the same from a 140 amp 110v mig. (actually the way I ended up going) The advantage would have been not having to tarp the work to keep the shielding gas protected or having to run FC wire. With the right rods I could probably have done 3/16" with no issues, maybe 1/4" so thats an improvement over the max on a standard 110v mig, but not really "thick".

Bodywork has 110v mig with argon/Co2 written all over it, but not really tig or stick.

As far as tig on thin stuff like tube and so on, 80 amps is fine. That would probably get you 14ga. Having a pedal will help you with the learning process with tig, but it's not manditory, just harder to learn.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Yeah, thick is relative. To me, thick starts at 1/4", since I can't see myself going over that... and if I need to weld something real thick, I will have access to the stuff at school by the time the need comes around.

I have had many suggestions for a 140 MIG for bodywork.. but what about the other things I mentioned?

"bodywork, motorcycle tanks/tails, performance exhaust headers / turbo manifolds, intercooler piping fabrication etc."

I'm trying to cover as many bases as possible at the best price...

My torch is not the harbor freight tig torch. I bought it from welding direct. Its made by nu-tec. Its a 125amp 9v series 2 piece torch. It was around 45.00. As fas as using this welder to tig sheet metal/body work with, i would say no. Its very very hard to do 18 ga with this machine because of no pedal to control amps. It works really good between 16ga to 1/8''. I have done 3/16'' with it before and had to go realy slow in order to build up the heat, but its not recomended to tig thats size with this machine. I would it does scratch start good around 55 amps and up. Below 55 amp its really hard to scratch start and dosn't want to hold a good arc. But below 55 on this machine theres no need to tig because its not good on really thin metal. I'll dig up some pictures and post them form what i tigged using this machine. Overall its a neat little machine.

shane, I'm really interested in the TIG setup out of that harbor freight welder... Could you please send me pics of the work you've done with it to lukepighetti@gmail.com ? That would be helpful. I've watched all your TIG videos probably three times over each.

Heres a thread i did with some welds pics from it

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=34410

I bought one on impulse when it was on sale, and there have been a couple of projects where its portability made it a real asset.

Smaller than a lunchbox and 110v. DC, too.

I'm trying to determine how this would compare to the Thermal Arc 95S at lower amperage. Everyone I have asked who has the HF tig conversion says low amperage stuff is hard to weld... would that be true on the 95S or is that due to the HF electronics?