AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one! - Page 110
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110
Results 2,726 to 2,745 of 2745

Re: AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

Quote Originally Posted by dbstoo View Post
    Glad to hear that you are having fun Lee.

First thing about aluminum is that is has to be clean and bare. Anodizing is a form od aluminum oxide which is a a great insulator. It must be ground off (or dissolved with lye) before welding. Oddly, aluminum oxidizes very quickly when exposed to air, so you have to clean it just before welding.

Common advice is to use enough amps to get a puddle within seconds and then back it off and lay a bead quickly. If you blow a hole STOP immediately so that you don't overheat the whole area and end up with more and more damage. Let it cool to the touch between passes to keep it consistent.

Dan
    Okay, so first, Thank You for the reply Dan, I really appreciate it. Next, anodize = bad for welding... got it. So now I'm REALLY gonna be working on some thin stuff lol. I initially tried test welding on it at 100a and needless to say I obliterated the metal and the filler lol! Since then I haven't had an opportunity to play with it but, is there a MAX amperage you'd recommend for something so thin (maybe as thick as the bottom of a pop can?)? And what about the frequency and balance?... any settings ranges you could recommend, like, just a general starting point? Also I've noticed alot of other machines that have the AC option also have waveform options like square, triangular, etc. and most of the "How-to's" I've been able to find on welding thin aluminum bring this up and opt for the triangular waveform... so I'm wondering does the waveform really matter? Like, is this just user inexperience or am I trying to do something outside the realm of this machine's capabilities? Plz don't pull any punches, I'm a firm believer in brutal honesty. thx again in advamce

First; anodizing is only thousandths of an inch thick. Removing it chemically will not make the metal appreciably thinner.

Second; Use 1 amp for each thousandth of an inch thick. If it's .010 inches thick then use 10 amps. If it is .020 you use 20 amps.

Third; Don't know about the impact of the wave form and thin aluminum. Others have used the AHP to tig coke cans, so it probably will not matter.

Fourth; Practice. Write down your settings and the results of using those settings.

Fifth; It makes a difference how you are welding. In mid air or welding a tube is one thing. On a surface that soaks up heat is another. Practice the way that you will make the final weld.

Dan.
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

If you don't have any experience welding thin aluminum, thin is not the best way to start.

This quadcopter frame is 1/2" OD 0.049" wall tube to 0.040" plate.

I used 1/16 filler, 60A, and about 120hz. I only had 3/32 tungsten, but 1/16 would be much better.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1502663999089.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  66.9 KB

Sent from Mobile
    "The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

1982 Lincoln Weldanpower 225/210
    1968 SAE 300 motor generator
    Miller Maxstar 200SD
    Watercooled Gen 3 AHP 200x

When switching from TIG to Stick, do you have to turn the machine off and back on?

I was TIG welding and decided to use 7018 to weld an inside corner joint and I just kept the machine on, put the electrode holder on the positive, ground on negative, siwtched from DC to AC, then pushed the rocker switch from TIG to STICK.

I could not get an arc going. My 7018 keep getting stuck to my work when I try to start an arc.

Need to unplug the foot pedal before stick welding.

Sent from Mobile
    "The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

1982 Lincoln Weldanpower 225/210
    1968 SAE 300 motor generator
    Miller Maxstar 200SD
    Watercooled Gen 3 AHP 200x

Yeah, I unplugged the pedal, too, but didn't turn off the machine. I"m gonna try it again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dbstoo View Post
    First; anodizing is only thousandths of an inch thick. Removing it chemically will not make the metal appreciably thinner.

Second; Use 1 amp for each thousandth of an inch thick. If it's .010 inches thick then use 10 amps. If it is .020 you use 20 amps.

Third; Don't know about the impact of the wave form and thin aluminum. Others have used the AHP to tig coke cans, so it probably will not matter.

Fourth; Practice. Write down your settings and the results of using those settings.

Fifth; It makes a difference how you are welding. In mid air or welding a tube is one thing. On a surface that soaks up heat is another. Practice the way that you will make the final weld.

Dan.
    Thanks brother, I hadn't even considered removing it chemically and I'll definitely be using all of these ^^^ suggestions. You've been a big help and I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by njs552 View Post
    If you don't have any experience welding thin aluminum, thin is not the best way to start.

This quadcopter frame is 1/2" OD 0.049" wall tube to 0.040" plate.

I used 1/16 filler, 60A, and about 120hz. I only had 3/32 tungsten, but 1/16 would be much better.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1502663999089.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  66.9 KB

Sent from Mobile
    Thank you, these specs are almost identical to mine so I'll give these settings a try and report back. And as for the tungstens I'll have to see what I've got but I'm pretty sure I have some 1/16's around here somewhere? My bigger concern is my filler wire... I'm pretty sure all I've got is 3/32? Idk?... It's thick stuff, from my LWS, as thick if not thicker than the metal itself! At any rate I'll give these settings a try. Thx again!

Lee you need to use the thinnest tungsten (.040 ) that you have that will fit in the torch.
    Klutch 220si mig , stick, and dc tig
    Hobart 140
    AHP ALPHA 200X 2016
    Lotos LTP5000D
    Smith O/P

Quote Originally Posted by Pcmaker View Post
    When switching from TIG to Stick, do you have to turn the machine off and back on?

I was TIG welding and decided to use 7018 to weld an inside corner joint and I just kept the machine on, put the electrode holder on the positive, ground on negative, siwtched from DC to AC, then pushed the rocker switch from TIG to STICK.

I could not get an arc going. My 7018 keep getting stuck to my work when I try to start an arc.
    Why did you switch to AC when 7018 runs on DC, DCEP
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Tecmo Wholesale Distributor and Dealer
    Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.

I thought 7018 can be run either AC or DC.

also, now I have another problem. The amps LED isn't showing. It's 000. I tried restarting the machine, put it on 4T, AC and DC, pedal is off and I have it on Stick mode. And the amps is still showing 000 no matter what amps I set the knob to.

Anyone have this problem?

I would think its time to contact AHP. It sounds like the panel board has went bad.

It's working now. That was weird...

Am I the only one who likes the AHP pedal? I have no problems using it and I actually have problems using the Miller and Lincoln pedals at work. Maybe it's because I started off on the AHP pedal before I even got to try the Miller and Lincoln pedals.

I don't hate mine I just like my SSC one better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Harbor Freight 90 Amp FluxCore
    Evolution EVO380 Chop Saw
    Evolution EVOMAG75 Mag Drill
    AHP Alpha TIG 200X

https://www.facebook.com/weldnstuff/

I like my pedal well enough. The biggest problem is that I tend to push it away when I shift positions. The solution was to add a length of rubber tread to the bottom that I can rest my toe on when I'm not using it.
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

Is there a stick welding amp guide for the AHP on how much amps to use on different gauge/thickness metal you're stick welding? I know the AHP stick welds a bit hot. I've been using 75 amps on 1/8" thick steel as a guide

Bob Moffat on Weld.com ran a bunch of stick on it a few months back. I don't remember the numbers though...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

was using 1/8 plate attached to foot pedal.

This is about 3/8 thick rubber stuff, works better.

Got a 3x5 ft roll from Home Depot.

Have used it for a lot of stuff.

Name:  P1020072.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  162.0 KB

Charl
    AHP 200X 2016, EVERLAST 211Si 2016

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    If its under warranty call AHP. If Not here are a few things to check, make sure both fans are working. Check it on 220 volts. Did you try the foot pedal as well. If all else fails you can give me a call.
    Not under warranty as I bought it last year. Both fans turn on immediately when the machine is under power. I don't have 220v service in my garage. I've been using it exclusively on 110v. The foot pedal does not work nor does the finger switch. I powered it on again today and now the amp readout shows 10a no matter where I turn it.

It has a 3 year warranty if you bought if from an AHP dealer.