AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one! - Page 111
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 111 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112 LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 2779

Re: AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

All,

I'm hoping you can help me out - I bought a 2015 model Alpha Tig200dx used recently - have had it about a month and couldn't be happier. My TIG has improved DRAMATICALLY using this over the scratch start Miller thunderbolt rig I was using initially. However - today I was simply running some lines on 1/4" stainless - and after raising my hood to look at the rainbows and assess appearance - I happened to glance over at the machine and saw a flash and heard a decent pop. I have NO arc now! Step on the pedal, gas flows - nothing......I clearly blew something. Looking for suggestions/direction. Pull off the cover by simply unscrewing all - or??? I am beyond bummed out at this point - knew it was a risk buying used, esp. the "older" model - guess I was hoping luck would go my way ..... after pulling back the cover - thoughts? suggestions? I'm a mechanical guy - not much of an electrical - please help, suggest, directions - much appreciated.....

First unplug the unit. Then set it on its side and remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the rear panel. Then set it up and remove the 6 rear panel screws. Remove the 6 front panel screws. then the 2 cover screws. put a piece of 2x4 under the rear in front of the rear panel and pull the rear panel off. slide the cover to the rear and lift it off.

Look for burnt marks or black suet check the caps on the bottom board.

Let us know what you find.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Tecmo Wholesale Distributor and Dealer
    Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.

Thx mechanic416....I just finished doing this - so puzzling - using a flashlight I SCOURED each board, level, component - hoping to see evidence of a burn, soot - even heat. What I found was - absolutely nothing. The inside of this machine is absolutely pristine - oddly pristine. Not just because it's a 2015 - the 35 days I've had it in my work garage - it's been subjected to dust & dirt getting blown over and into it from a 20" pedestal fan half the time - yet not even a dust layer in it...let alone some trace of whatever the hell happened. I saw the flash and heard a pop - no doubt - thinking something did arc internally and killed a board somehow?

Never wanted to 'look under the hood' - but I have to say - everything appears to be very well connected, soldered, ziptied and organized. and eerily spotless....Guess I'm going to be calling up AHP for what to do next.....one more thing - does this throw any kind of error codes or flashing? display or other indicator light? Nothing was out of the norm - fan was still running, gas still reacted with pedal depression...

Did you check the big capacitors near the back of the machine? Check on the tops and see if the pressure relief slits are open.

Can you hear the High Frequency buzz when you hit the pedal?

Sent from Mobile
    '88 Big 50 Diesel
    '82 Weldanpower 225/210
    '68 SAE 300 motor generator
    Maxstar 200SD
    2015 AHP 200x

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I will check those capacitors closely. I heard NOTHING except for the gas flow when I hit the pedal afterward.....

Just checked - all clean - there are no visible opened pressure relief slits that I could see. I actually hooked it all back up again in a desperate attempt to get it working - and also to see if I could hear any HF buzzing of any sort - there is nothing except the gas flow. I tried tracing all wires and again looking for ANYthing that appeared to be burnt - nothing smoked. Given all I've read about AHP as well as the fact I bought 2nd hand off CL a 2 yr old model - I don't see much point in calling them...not that I have anywhere else to turn...

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    Just checked - all clean - there are no visible opened pressure relief slits that I could see. I actually hooked it all back up again in a desperate attempt to get it working - and also to see if I could hear any HF buzzing of any sort - there is nothing except the gas flow. I tried tracing all wires and again looking for ANYthing that appeared to be burnt - nothing smoked. Given all I've read about AHP as well as the fact I bought 2nd hand off CL a 2 yr old model - I don't see much point in calling them...not that I have anywhere else to turn...
    You can bring it down here for me to look at. call me.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com

Tecmo Wholesale Distributor and Dealer
    Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.

You should call them and see what they say. I've had very good experience with AHP service. http://www.ahpwelds.com/technical-support/ There's also Rockwood http://www.rockwoodwelds.com/ they are the service center for AHP. I'm sure they could give you some ideas to get it working again.

A couple days ago I decided to try out my AlphaTIG in stick welding mode. Its been over 20 years since I've done stick, so to say I am rusty is an understatement. A week ago I picked up a box of 1/8" Lincoln 7018. I tried it on AC and DCEP with amps set around 110. It did pretty well, maybe a little better on AC. But then again that may have just been me getting more used to it. Last night I picked up a box of 1/8" Hobart 6011 and another of 1/8" 7014 to play with.

I'd appreciate hearing advice on settings and use of these rods, tips etc. The manual is pretty lame. I've seen a couple online videos that were helpful. But I figured the collective knowledge base here is the best place to ask. I use this in my home shop for simple shop projects and repair, nothing exotic.

Thanks
    Steve
    Home tinkerer and old tool junkie

Lincoln SP 135 Plus
    Ĺincoln Idealarc 250/250
    AHP AlphaTIG 200
    Viper Cut 30 Plasma
    Harris O/A Port-A-Torch
    Coal forge & anvil

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic416 View Post
    You can bring it down here for me to look at. call me.
    Thanks George - I appreciate it and wish I could - I would but I just don't have that as an option right now - possibly down the road.

I did end up calling AHP Technical support with Netconn's urging - spoke to someone who sent me a trouble shooting document - for what it was worth - was easy to talk to, seemed to be genuinely interested in helping - and explained non-warranty service costs/ranges - I wish it was as easy as the capacitor's blowing - but all is in tact. Boards clean with no evidence of anything - puzzling.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive replacement torch for the AHP Alpha cut 60. My machine stopped working a little over a month after purchase. I don`t want to come across a a jerk, and get folks upset who really like their AHP machines, so I will just state that my experience with AHP customer service was very unpleasant. Also you have to pay the full shipping cost`s of the machine to the repair facility which is prohibitively expensive from where I live.
    I basically put the machine back in the box and it has been sitting in the corner of my shop for a year now +-. a $700 mistake.
    Up until now, I have been using my oxy-ace torches to cut any large pieces of metal I might need. Problem is I now have to do a job that would be exponentially easier with a working plasma cutter.

In talking with the repair service it sounded like they where convinced it was the torch that was at fault on my machine, so I did get at least that bit of information from them.
    I am reaching out to the community just in the off chance that I could fit another torch and give the machine one more chance. If not, so be it, I will just end up scrapping it.

Quote Originally Posted by kozz57 View Post
    Can anyone recommend an inexpensive replacement torch for the AHP Alpha cut 60. My machine stopped working a little over a month after purchase. I don`t want to come across a a jerk, and get folks upset who really like their AHP machines, so I will just state that my experience with AHP customer service was very unpleasant. Also you have to pay the full shipping cost`s of the machine to the repair facility which is prohibitively expensive from where I live.
    I basically put the machine back in the box and it has been sitting in the corner of my shop for a year now +-. a $700 mistake.
    Up until now, I have been using my oxy-ace torches to cut any large pieces of metal I might need. Problem is I now have to do a job that would be exponentially easier with a working plasma cutter.

In talking with the repair service it sounded like they where convinced it was the torch that was at fault on my machine, so I did get at least that bit of information from them.
    I am reaching out to the community just in the off chance that I could fit another torch and give the machine one more chance. If not, so be it, I will just end up scrapping it.
    Message George. He will get you fixed up
    http://weldingweb.com/member.php?37985-mechanic416

If you want a Razorweld plasma pm me.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    CK Tig Welder
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas & MBC Dealer and more

Quote Originally Posted by Netconn View Post
    You should call them and see what they say. I've had very good experience with AHP service. http://www.ahpwelds.com/technical-support/ There's also Rockwood http://www.rockwoodwelds.com/ they are the service center for AHP. I'm sure they could give you some ideas to get it working again.
    Netconn - listen - thanks for offering the advice to call AHP. Short story - I emailed - then called the next day. The tech was good - sent me some trouble shooting guide info, admitted their tech support email isn't monitored as much as it should be and was responsive through the process with several email exchanges. With results of my troubleshooting - where voltage was etc - he arranged for a small diver board to be sent to me ($50 shipped) to try out - and if it didn't work a refund of $45 credit toward any service with sending the welder in as the next recommended steps.

I received the board this morning and swapped it out - and am very....... VERY happy to report I'm back in business. NOW - that it works - I'm thinking of selling it! (full disclosure of all to any CL buyers - I believe in Karma) - and using proceeds toward a 2017 that HAS a warranty on it - with no POS - I am not qualified toward any warranty servicing on this 2015 model....

Anyway - just closing up a thread with good news and reporting satisfaction with AHP customer and technical service.

Thanks to ALL that offered ideas and support when it first fried out......

Anyone know what's going on with AHP and it's new mig weld? There aren't any more mig boxes on their website (it's sh-- I know), so just wondering if they pulled the plug on launching the new mig box.

Last I heard he was going to test the prototype this month at the factory.

Should have something to play with in the next month or so.

On sale by end of the year. (long as nothing is wrong and he decides to rework)
    From the desk of Kevin Caron
    Trying to be the best me I can!
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Does anyone know when AHP welders will be available for purchase again? I am very interested in the 160st welder but they are out of stock everywhere. Also the Alpha Mig 250 isn't even on there website anymore. It seems that the Alpha tig is the only welder still available. These seem like great welders for the price and I am really wanting to purchase one.

Did AHP stop making welders? What's going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcmaker View Post
    Has anyone looked at the new welders that Harbor Freight came out with. Soon to have spool guns, and other attachments. I have a Lincoln MP210, and i love it, but Harbor Freight has copied it to a degree, and made a nice machine. I would love somone who know a lot about the machines to review some of them. They have a whole new line of welders, and generators. I have the Predator 3500 inverter generator, and it is way nice. I have a Honda 2000i I paid way more for, and it puts out less, and makes more noise than the Harbor Freight model.

I heard that Honda is taking them to court over some of the technology they supposedly have patents on.

I may have to try to find data on that law suit, there may be another from Lincoln if Harbor Freight custs into sales.

Hello Everyone! I just recently purchased a new AHP AlphaTig 200x cant wait to try it out! I had the Miller Dynasty 200dx and it Blew up on me same problem a lot of other people are having . My question is I like the foot pedal on my Miller can that be changed to work with the AHP?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcmaker View Post
    One of the factory's in China was shut down by the government for lack of pollution control stuff.

Think it was the one that makes the bezel on the front of the machine.

Lots of company's closed till they could clean up their mess.

Should be up and running by now.
    From the desk of Kevin Caron
    Trying to be the best me I can!
    www.kevincaron.com

AHP Alpha Tig 200x
    MillerMatic 250
    Miller Syncrowave 200

Quote Originally Posted by kevinacaron View Post
    One of the factory's in China was shut down by the government for lack of pollution control stuff.

Think it was the one that makes the bezel on the front of the machine.

Lots of company's closed till they could clean up their mess.

Should be up and running by now.
    That's good to hear. I hope to buy the 200X as my first TIG unit by the end of the year. First I was concerned that the price went up on one of the Amazon vendors, then I really started to wonder when it appeared that it's out of stock in a few places.

For the time being, I'm teaching myself MIG using an Eastwood MIG 175. I like that, but I can tell that I'd find TIG a more interesting process, all other things being equal.

By the way, I'm happy that my first post on this board is a reply to the one, the only, Kevin Caron! I have watched a whole bunch of your videos. Between you, Bob Moffat, and Jody from Weldmonger, I feel like there is an answer to any question I might have about welding somewhere on YouTube. Thanks for all your work!

Best,
    Eric Jensen

P.S.
    Hey Kevin, whatcha doin?

Hey,

I just noticed about the best deal on the AHP that I've seen so far:

"The Alpha TIG 200X is 60% at 200 amps and like DonnieH said, we actually tested it far beyond that and the torch melted down before the machine did.
    We also have it for $700 shipped to your door, plus 5% off using promo code CONSTRUCTION bringing it in at $665 delivered."
    https://www.weld.com/alphatig-200x
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    Hey,

I just noticed about the best deal on the AHP that I've seen so far:

"The Alpha TIG 200X is 60% at 200 amps and like DonnieH said, we actually tested it far beyond that and the torch melted down before the machine did.
    We also have it for $700 shipped to your door, plus 5% off using promo code CONSTRUCTION bringing it in at $665 delivered."
    https://www.weld.com/alphatig-200x
    On the weld.com homepage, they list the sale price as $700, but when you get to the product page, it's $720. That's still a great deal. I verified the code in the checkout without finishing the transaction, and it came out to $684.

The only thing holding me back from buying right now is the question of whether weld.com is an authorized re-seller for AHP. I know weld.com is legit, but as far as I can see, it's not listed on the AHP page listing authorized dealers. I sent an email to AHP asking about it, but haven't hear back just yet.

Is this just a matter of AHP's less-than-perfect website lacking an update? I definitely want this unit, but I also want the warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help sorting this out.

Best,
    Eric Jensen
    Last edited by EJensen; 10-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Yeah,

And email to Weld.com will undoubtedly confirm or deny as much. I'll bet they are an authorized AHP dealer/seller.

This thread over there shows an undoubted willingness to honor the $684 quote, regardless of any missteps for whatever reason.

https://www.weld.com/welding-forum/
    -----------------------------------------
    Today 14:16:36
    tclouser
    "Camera Guy"

Website
    --------------------------------------------
    DonnieH wrote:
    Yeah I ordered one but I did not get the 5% deal. Had already ordered before I saw the promo code. Any way I can get the extra $$ Back? Should be here tomorrow and I am excited to try it out!
    ---------------------------------------------
    Absolutely. Send me an email at info@weld.com with your order number.
    -------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by EJensen View Post
    On the weld.com homepage, they list the sale price as $700, but when you get to the product page, it's $720. That's still a great deal. I verified the code in the checkout without finishing the transaction, and it came out to $684.

The only thing holding me back from buying right now is the question of whether weld.com is an authorized re-seller for AHP. I know weld.com is legit, but as far as I can see, it's not listed on the AHP page listing authorized dealers. I sent an email to AHP asking about it, but haven't hear back just yet.

Is this just a matter of AHP's less-than-perfect website lacking an update? I definitely want this unit, but I also want the warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help sorting this out.

Best,
    Eric Jensen
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 10-13-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    Peace to you all,
    Christian Livingstone

www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast 210EXT AC/DC (2015)
    CAT250D 200 amp DC TIG/Stick/Plasma

Just put in my order. As indicated, $684 out the door.

I was probably a little too eager to put in the order, as I didn't order any consumables. I've been teaching myself MIG over the past year or so, but this will be my first time laying hands on a TIG unit.

Any suggestions as to where to buy tungsten and filler rod?