Machine, Lathe, Tool Oil.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Machine, Lathe, Tool Oil.

Hi everyone ,

Question on what to use as a good oil for my Lathe. Ive heard different opinions on what is a good lubricant for using to oil down my machine and keep lubed up.Question is (Is one better than the other) I used some air tool oil I had laying around on the ways and spindle and genetally whipped down the hole machine with it she had been sitting for awhile before I bought her.Should I invest in some machine oil or is the air tool oil ok for the job. Also what does everyone else use as a cutting oil and for lube when machining general I was at harbor freight and came across a couple different oils .

1. Air tool oil.

2. Hydrolic Oil.

3. Compressor Oil.

Any thoughts , Suggestions, Advice, on which would be best as an all purpose oil for my Lathe .
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Machine, Lathe, Tool Oil.

Follow the makers recommendation for the spindle and apron lube (usually a very pure non-detergent similar to air compressor oil).

For the way oils Vactra #2 (mobile) or equivalent is used (these lube have anti-stick/slip properties and are heavy enough for way wipers to work correctly).

Matt

I don't know about using any of the oils you listed. I'd look up the recommendation in your manual.

I use Mobil VACTRA OIL NO. 2 Way Oil on three of my machines which is very common. It's SAE Grade 30, ISO Viscosity Grade 68. I have one lathe that specified a Shell Tonna V (I think) which appears stickier than the Vactra 2.

Your likely looking for an ISO 68 way oil, Shell is Tonna, Mobile is Vactra, Cheveron is Vistac.

Thanks guys weres the best place to pick some of that up at?

Heres the machine I bought its a 1946 Logan 700A.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by bullgod6998 View Post
    Thanks guys wheres the best place to pick some of that up at?
    I order mine from MSC, a gallon should last a few years.
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=96421171

Quote Originally Posted by bullgod6998 View Post
    Heres the machine I bought its a 1946 Logan 700A.
    Nice, looks very clean and well cared for.

Thanks I will order some this weekend. Anything I could use until it gets here to keep it lubed up ? It was VERY well maintained was sitting in a basement for the last 25 years looks like brand new cant believe I got it for $500

I used to have a Logan 820, made in 1946 also, that took SAE 20(I think) oil at all the service points. Can't tell from your picture what type of long/cross feed mechanism is on the apron. Mine had a clutch that engaged a worm/wormgear that drew power off lead screw for the feeds. This assembly needed to be bathed in oil always or you'd be looking to buy $600 of parts.

Your's might be the miter gear set up, check it out though.

Logan FAQ: http://www.lathe.com/faq/index.html

Oil instructions (copied from above site):
    http://www.lathe.com/faq/index.html#_Toc95180285
    2.14. What should I use for oiling the lathe? Oil level in reservoir?

2.14 There are many places on your lathe that require frequent lubrication. Check your Logan manual for a listing of oil points. Logan manuals can be bought from Logan Actuator.

The ways (bed) of the lathe should be lubricated with a heavy, sticky oil called way lube. This is available in a few different viscosities (thicknesses). The right oil for Logan lathes is ISO VG-68 oil such as Mobil Vactra No. 2, Exxon Febis K68, Shell Tonna T68, Sun Way Lubricant 1180, Texaco Way Lubricant 68, Gulf Gulfway 68, or Chevron Vistac Oil 68X. These oils are available from most industrial suppliers like MSC and cost under $15 per gallon. Don’t substitute. Use true way lube and apply it with a clean cloth every time you use the lathe.

All other oil spots on the Logan Lathe can be oiled with ISO 22 grade spindle oil or SAE 10-weight non-detergent motor oil. Don’t use common “detergent” motor oil. You can get SAE 10-weight non-detergent motor oil from large automotive parts dealers for under $2 per quart. You can get ISO 22 grade spindle oil from industrial suppliers like MSC for under $10 per gallon.

Went and talked to a local machine shop and I got a gallon of SAE 10 weight non-detergent oil for the ways and counter shaft and half nut spindle bearing etc and a quart of 15-50 SAE detegent free oil for the gearbox.

I've got a South Bend 10K. SB specifies FOUR different types of oils (A, B, C and Bed Way Lube) and ONE special purpose teflon grease. Then there's the spindle oil for the mill...different from the others. Real PITA. At least now I'll never run out of oil cans.

See link....

http://www.wswells.com/partslist/lub...chart_6503.pdf
    Miller 211 w/ spool gun
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Longevity 60i IGBT plasma
    O/A w/ crappy chinese torch/gauges
    South Bend 10K lathe
    Grizzly 4029 10x54 mill
    Grizzly 7x12 hor bandsaw
    angle grnders, bench grnder, bench belt sndr
    7.5 hp 80gal cmprsor

I use Mobil 1 gear oil on my SB 9.
    GL-5 gear oil (synthetic or not) contains sulfur additives that help prevent erosion in metal to metal sliding surfaces such as in your spindle, the ends of your leadscrew, etc., by forming a strong film. Unfortunately, the smell is awful.
    Gear oils without the sulfur (typically GL-4), don't have the smell, but don't form as good a film, however, the sulfur additives can corrode brass, so if you have brass bushings, then be careful what you use (and 50W ND engine oil might be good for that then).

Way oil is pretty much the same stuff, but includes additives to make it tackier (which is really designed for chain drive stuff, to keep it from flying off). It'll require less frequent application (since it sticks around better), but won't work any better, and isn't something you can likely pick up locally.

Air tool oil is very lightweight, and is not designed to stay in a tool (it's constantly being replenished). Very bad choice.

Jack oil is specially designed for hydraulic applications (prevent foaming, additives to protect rubber seals, etc). Lubricity is not critical for its intended use, so it is also a bad choice.

Compressor oil is just ND-30 API SA oil (just about the cheapest and worst lubricating oil you can buy), marked up 3000%. Synthetic compressor oil's markup is even worse.
    I actually use Mobil 1 5W-30 in my compressor, and a number of compressor manufacturers actually recommend that particular oil for continuous duty service.