Howdy from the Berkshires
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Howdy from the Berkshires

This is my first real foray into welding, so I'm looking forward to learning here.

We own forest land in the Berkshires and we've been trying -- for longer than I care to remember -- to build a home there. In addition, we intend to care for the remainder of the forest by managing it for the present and the future.

We run heavy- and medium-sized equipment on the property on a regular basis, and I'm getting a bit tired of bothering my welder buddies every time we need to replace a cutting edge or repair a trailer.

Although I've been around friends with welding experience all of my life, I never actually did what it took to learn much about it myself. So...it's about time, right?

Have a good one,
    RedOak

Re: Howdy from the Berkshires

Hello and WELCOME!!
    keith
    The older the boys, the more expensive the TOYS!!
    Previous owned;
    Linde 300 Amp welder
    Miller Gas drv welder, Tumbstone,Dayton
    Miller ac to dc converter,High frequency unit
    Longevity LS60P
    Currrently owned;
    Longevity WeldAll 200PI

Hi Ya RedOak and Welcome to the Welding Web family. I do alot of repairs on Forestry equipment and another good site besides Welding Web can also help you out! Try http://www.arboristsite.com lots of great info there as plenty of welders that can give you info on the availability of welding classes or maybe even help you learn. Yep nothing better than having the knowledgeable person & equipment on that logging site to prevent that expensive downtime while waiting for field repairs.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Thank you very much for the kind words, folks.

Specter: I've got a thread started here in which I'm soliciting thoughts on using a plasma cutter "in the bush." Instead of getting into the details here, please use the link and see what you think (when you get some time). I see that you use a PowerMax 45 on the farm, so I'd love to get your thoughts on the possibility of using it in our environment/conditions.

Thanks again and have a good one