How much do welders make in Canada?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much do welders make in Canada?

I live in New Brunswick, I plan on taking welding in college next year. I was wondering how much I could expect to get paid whenever I graduate. I have been searching online but haven't had much luck. Would I have to move out of the province to get paid a decent amount?

Re: How much do welders make in Canada?

Well I'm NOT going to knock the Maritimes since my wife is from PEI, but the wages in that region are pretty low...

Trout River Industries starts at $11/hr, but would pay me $13/hr
    Livingston Steel in Summerside pays $13/hr to start. but offered me $15.

I will not bother "Flaunting" my credentials, but I am well educated, well trained, and have a significant wealth of experience - I would suspect a great deal more than anyone working at the 2 shops above.

Wages in Alberta are dependant of where you work, and WHO you work for...

Edmonton and Calgary are typically around $27 - $29 for Journeyman with B Pressure.

I live 4-1/2 hrs North of Edmonton, and one of the contractors we use pays $27/hr for Journeyman with B.

I get paid $33/hr WITHOUT my B Pressure.... Other branches, same company, pay $29/hr.

The BEST way for you to research wages is to check on the Gov't of Canada Job Bank:

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/Intro-eng.aspx

Have a Good Day.
    Later,
    Jason

Thanks, and yeah New Brunswick isn't so great haha. I would probably have to go out of the province to make any money.

In Southern Ontario for a new welder out of school you could make anywhere from 14-18 dollars per hour, probably doing production mig in a shop. I always told my students to expect around 16 as a ball park. In the aerospace industry for an experienced welder you're looking at around 30 dollars/hour. Pressure vessel shops are anywhere between 20-30 on average depending on experience. Construction welders in the union are between 30 and 35 depending on the union on average.
    Hope this helps and good luck on your career.
    Regards
    Jim

Do you guys have any information on a pipeline being built in North Canada? I'm talking way north, the arctic circle north. There has been rumors floating around my local about it.

The pulp/paper mill I work at pay's it's union welders journeyman A rate of $32/hr. Thats with TSSA pressure pipe stainless tig, carbon steel pipe stick and CWB plate stick tickets.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

most of the shops around here, $12-15/hour.... i get a bit more, but i've been at it for 12 years, and work in our family bussness with my father.... still can't charge enough to cover big wages around here. St.john, and Halifax are going to be the bigger employment area's around here
    Bill Berry
    Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
    machine work, and welding
    Bear River Vollunteer FD

Im in St. John's, NL and im getting $15 an hr as an apprentice, im just going into my second year so im due for a raise. Here a journeymans rate can vary from around $22 an hr up to $30. Not many places pay $30 though, just the dockyard I think.

I work for manitoba hydro as a high pressure welder, i have my 2 -1/4% chromoly, stainless tig/stick, and stick all the way, and straight F3/f4 and i guess brazing if you want to count that haha, and generally make about 125,000 a year.

Spent the last 3 years working in Fort McMurray, started at around $38/hr and by the time I got the hell out was at $47.70/hr, 7 days on 7 days off (work6 months), made $110,000 last year

The wages in Ft. Mac and further north are certainly atractive. Problem is you have to live there too and the cost of living is high, much higher then where I live now anyway.
    I have a TSSA Operatring engineers ticket too and would be able to land a job there without too much hastle I'd think.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    The wages in Ft. Mac and further north are certainly atractive. Problem is you have to live there too and the cost of living is high, much higher then where I live now anyway.
    I have a TSSA Operatring engineers ticket too and would be able to land a job there without too much hastle I'd think.
    Very true although I had a option to go to Ft Mac (should have taken it) where I would have a signed contract to work 3 on 2 off. The pay would be $220,000 for two years. They were going to pay for my living expenses and housing. After my 3 weeks on, they were going to fly me anywhere in Canada to see my family and fly me back after my two weeks off were up. I was to build the work camps up there.

So there is different opportunities and money out there if you find the right company. In my case, the company found me.

Wished I would have called them back, lost the phone number. And to top it off I dont have any contacts to to up there if I wanted too.

There is some websites I have found which have all the active oil sands companies on them and what they are hiring for ie welder, electricians etc

Welders in BC here range from $15 to $26 on average, fabricators tend to make up to $32. The interior pays more if you can weld for a millwright company.

jgbalesdent, hows the hiring status going on up there in Ft. Mac lately? I heard it was slow a year ago and lots of people got laid off but has picked up since then.
    Last edited by oxygen454; 12-23-2010 at 12:02 AM.

I don't know how Black Wolf could have his information so wrong.... But his numbers are WAYYY off..\

Journeymen in Alberta working in construction/oilfield industry make $45 an hour.. Thats the standard journeyman rate..

Coming out of a welding program and getting your CWB ticket means you could get hired on by an iron workers union and weld CWB (assuming you have your ticket) in Saskatchewan for GOOD money, over 30 an hour id say.

If you go the apprenticeship route so you can get your red seal and do b pressure welding in alberta , you can expect to make around 25 as first year apprentice, 30 ish the second year, over 35 the third year and then journeyman wage..

If you run your own rig (which can cost you anywhere from $25,000 - $100,000) you could make over $85 an hour.

This is all in Alberta though (expect the aforementioned Saskatchewan jobs)

Hope this helps, ignore the guy that said journeymen make 25 an hour the apprentices make more than that..

I think someone is tricking him into making no money.. lol...

I would say welders make most things out of metal that are made in Canada.. Although forging, casting and machining are also ways to make things out of metal but most bigger things are made by welders. LOL thought I would put a little humor out.

Most of the jobs I've noticed in my area start at $14-24 an hour.

The more experience the more you SHOULD make, but I'm sure that's not always so. It helps to have tickets, but some older guys I've talked to will tell you tickets don't mean squat it's about the experience you gain on the job.

Edmonton Alberta - local 146 pays around $42/HR. It has been 2 years since so I cannot remember what exactly, but it is around $42/HR. Same with local 488; around that amount.

Structural shops are typically $33/HR; I've made as low as $35/HR as a by hand pipe welder at other shops. If you are under CLAC, you are typically paid around $40/HR.

Some shops are very cheap - years ago I was offered $21/Hr as a third year and because they wanted to keep me, they though they were being generous by bumping me up to $23! Ha! Quit and took another job at $29 as a third year.

Rig welding however, if you're under "Merritt" and I don't know if Merritt is a union or not, but I believe subcontractor rate is $45/HR by hand or $90/HR with rig. Other fab shops offer $55/HR for subcontractors (pipe shop) now with your welding truck, I've been offered jobs from $900/day to $1200/day and often it comes down to hours worked.. Either work 10 hours at $90, or 12 hours around 100. Some
    Pipeline companies pay $90 and up. There was another company doing mod tie-INS at $104/HR plus LOA, etc etc.

The job I am on now, is typically $94/HR, $99 for overtime; they give an extra hour for welding exotic metals - working 12's 7 days a week, and they are very generous - you will find that some companies are cheap and other companies are very generous. Staylate? Work a sat or Sunday? Some companies will give an extra hour or two.

I had a day where I stayed an extra hour after work to finish up welding on stainless - 12 hour day, paid two extra hours plus another hour for exotic metals premium. Made more in a day than what I used to make in a whole entire
    Week in a shop.

Basically, you want money? Come to Alberta.
    46’ sae300
    47’ sa200 w/Wisconsin VF4
    51’ shorthood
    56’ shorthood
    56’ shorthood
    68’ redface
    69 redface
    07’ ranger 305G
    13’ sae300

Inconel/Hastelloy – SS – Duplex – Chrome/Carbon Tig – F3Downhand – STT/RMD – F3F4 – B Pressure

Quote Originally Posted by treant_erhardt View Post
    I don't know how Black Wolf could have his information so wrong.... But his numbers are WAYYY off..\

Journeymen in Alberta working in construction/oilfield industry make $45 an hour.. Thats the standard journeyman rate..

Coming out of a welding program and getting your CWB ticket means you could get hired on by an iron workers union and weld CWB (assuming you have your ticket) in Saskatchewan for GOOD money, over 30 an hour id say.

If you run your own rig (which can cost you anywhere from $25,000 - $100,000) you could make over $85 an hour.

This is all in Alberta though (expect the aforementioned Saskatchewan jobs)

Hope this helps, ignore the guy that said journeymen make 25 an hour the apprentices make more than that..

I think someone is tricking him into making no money.. lol...
    I agree with the union wages as $45; I believe the total package comes to around that; if I'm not mistaken, I believe 3rd year welders w/allposition cwb all the way up to tig welders with Inconel tickets are all grouped under the journeyman status and make tge same amount - which is partly the reason as I understand it that many welders won't keep up to date with their tickets or else only pull a b pressure slip or carbon tig slip. Tig welders do get more pull - they'll get GF rate and bonuses etc and have more pull. I've only worked maybe 3 union jobs at best but I had a friend who has spent years upon years in the union and he has everything. All welding tickets, Examiners; he's an inspector, GF - he's done well.

Tools costed me a great deal for the truck. The cheapest Welsing machine will be around 2grand for an old sa200 and up. You're always paying for something - calibration, qualifications, this and that but companies will supply you will all your gasses, food, living allowances - it's nice to be a rig welder over a hand welder. And not just for the money.
    46’ sae300
    47’ sa200 w/Wisconsin VF4
    51’ shorthood
    56’ shorthood
    56’ shorthood
    68’ redface
    69 redface
    07’ ranger 305G
    13’ sae300

Inconel/Hastelloy – SS – Duplex – Chrome/Carbon Tig – F3Downhand – STT/RMD – F3F4 – B Pressure

You'll have to come West, tons of work for great money!!

I love these comments. If a young person comes out of school with his basic welding qualifications and stays clean he can be semi-retired by the time he is 30 years old.
    A stat that was mentioned in a Canadian news column: If you complete school and do not have children before you are 21 you have a 98 percent chance of never seeing the poverty line.
    There is a thousand years worth of of oil up there in the tarsands plus whispers are that the Northern Alaska formation runs clear across the arctic at the top of Canada. There are prospects of oil all through the far north but treaty rights will hold it off for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by jgbalesdent View Post
    Spent the last 3 years working in Fort McMurray, started at around $38/hr and by the time I got the hell out was at $47.70/hr, 7 days on 7 days off (work6 months), made $110,000 last year
    Hey Jgbalesdent, I'm considering going to alberta for work. I'm from Ontario
    I can get out there on a camp job doing crap work like kitchen staff or something but my goal is to find a trade. Welding being one I'm interested in.
    Is there a lot of camp welding jobs. The only reason I want to go out there is to work on camps so I can rake in as much cash as possible. If i cant it defeats the purpose of me working out there.
    Is it hard to start as an apprentice with no experience?
    What would be the best route through the union? do they accept people with no experience?
    What are the wages starting out for apprentices?
    Health effects from welding gases?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks.

This deviates from the thread but some Bull Cooks make more than the fellas in the camp:') ... at poker. I knew a guy who did two years in Fort Mack when it started up and they had a guy who couldn't even afford to buy a new pair of jeans. The "informal " poker games cleaned him out all the time. If you have a weakness for booze, drugs, or gambling it can be your downfall.

Do what these folks said. Make sure you enjoy what you do above all!

Quote Originally Posted by savannurs View Post
    I live in New Brunswick, I plan on taking welding in college next year. I was wondering how much I could expect to get paid whenever I graduate. I have been searching online but haven't had much luck. Would I have to move out of the province to get paid a decent amount?
    If you want to earn a high wage then study Information Technology, aka data communications. Network technicians get paid more than twice what welders are paid, don't have to work in dirty hazardous environments filled with carcinogenics and filthy atmospheres, don't suffer burns, welding flash, or bad backs or other injuries from handling heavy stuff, don't need steel toed boots, leather gloves, helmets, hardhats, or any other safety garb. You work in "civilian" clothes in clean environments with air conditioned atmospheres and often get 401K and stock plans and paid time off such as holidays, sick pay, and vacation pay. If you can comprehend the technologies involved in welding then you can comprehend the technologies involved in data com.

But.... If you like creating and building physically tangable objects both large and small that you can look at and everyone can easily see and if you actually like getting your hands dirty and you like to soak your shirt with copious amounts of sweat working under the hood on a hot sunny day and you like the sounds and smells of a metal shop and you like to see moltem metal fusing before your eyes and you are willing to suffer the occaisional burn on your hands, arms, legs, and torso, and you don't mind the black stuff that appears in your handkerchief when you blow your nose then go ahead and be a weldor. Let the pay be comensurate with your learned abilities and skills.

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    Ask for a wrench and someone will offer you a grinder.
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    If you want to earn a high wage then study Information Technology, aka data communications. Network technicians get paid more than twice what welders are paid, don't have to work in dirty hazardous environments filled with carcinogenics and filthy atmospheres, don't suffer burns, welding flash, or bad backs or other injuries from handling heavy stuff, don't need steel toed boots, leather gloves, helmets, hardhats, or any other safety garb. You work in "civilian" clothes in clean environments with air conditioned atmospheres and often get 401K and stock plans and paid time off such as holidays, sick pay, and vacation pay. If you can comprehend the technologies involved in welding then you can comprehend the technologies involved in data com.

But.... If you like creating and building physically tangable objects both large and small that you can look at and everyone can easily see and if you actually like getting your hands dirty and you like to soak your shirt with copious amounts of sweat working under the hood on a hot sunny day and you like the sounds and smells of a metal shop and you like to see moltem metal fusing before your eyes and you are willing to suffer the occaisional burn on your hands, arms, legs, and torso, and you don't mind the black stuff that appears in your handkerchief when you blow your nose then go ahead and be a weldor. Let the pay be comensurate with your learned abilities and skills.

- Mondo

being that im a computer/network tech in canada, im going to have to say that is not true....a good tech job is few and far between and the average rate of pay in canada right now for a computer or network tech is 15-17 dollars a hour. if you do find one thats more your in luck, if i could rewind, i wouldnt have gone to school for a computer/network tech, id have gone for diesel mechanics...they make some good money
    Century 88amp 110v mig
    Thermal Arc 181i
    Powcon200sm
    1991 Lincoln SAE 400 (project big bitch)

The money is lower in eastern Canada for welders,but so is the cost of living. You can rent a very decent house here for less then you can rent a one bedroom apartment in Calgary, (My stepdaughter lives in Calgary).