Best way to weld cast to mild steel?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Best way to weld cast to mild steel?

Hello yall. I need to weld a Cast iron steel seat bracket onto a mild steel motorcycle frame. What is the best process to weld this? Can it be welded GTAW process? What filler rod will be the most optimal? I talked with a old timer welder he suggested I weld a bead with a stainless rod not sure what grade onto the cast part. Then weld ontop of the stainless ontop the mild steel does this sound like a goood Idea? I am thinking i should SMAW weld it but my uncle wants done in GTAW. Some advice would be great.
    (I Do It In All Positions )

I personally would GTAW this with silicon bronze. Thats my own personal thoughts.
    Aside from that, might need to check on this, but I dont see why you couldnt use a nickel rod(cast rod) to do the job. But again youd want to verify this. Should find documention from the consumable manufac. I will look and reply if I get a sec.
    IF it Catches...Let it Burn

im going to have to side with Chris on this or you could braze it

Chuck
    ASME Pressure Vessel welder

Quote Originally Posted by chopper5
    im going to have to side with Chris on this or you could braze it
    You say that like its a bad thing
    IF it Catches...Let it Burn

what i concoure with you is that bad lololololol
    Last edited by chopper5; 03-17-2006 at 08:27 PM.

Chuck

I would TIG it ( GTAW) but thats just me, use a nickel based tig rod, like the Inconel you were asking about before, or a Hastelloy X or Hastelloy W rod. go to your local welding supply and see what hey have ( or what they suggest)

is the brack you speak of a gas tank mount for an HD?

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by chopper5
    is the brack you speak of a gas tank mount for an HD?
    Yes a gastank mount braket and also a seat braket needs to be welded. Its a custom chopper kit by BIG bear choppers i think not sure tho.
    (I Do It In All Positions )

thas what holds the tank's on my .....um......chopper
    wen i got it i thought it was cast steel till i tryed to weld it to the frame then im like Oh son of ab!tch it's cast iron but the was 10 years ago so i cant tell
    you how i put it on and im not scrapeing off paint just to look i think it's brazed on i did a loot of work to the frame and the rest of the bike to keep track of all of it

Chuck

You can't weld on something once it has been brazed if the joint you speak of was brazed at one point in time.

Despite that drawback, I lean towards brazing in any iron to steel weld because the joint has known mechanical characteristics when completed. A typical nickel/silver alloy brazing rod has a tensile strength of 70ksi. When you weld a joint of dissimilar metals, you end up with a joint of unknown composition, therefore, you have unknown mechanical properties. It may be very brittle and weak.

welding Cast steel to steel

Quote Originally Posted by All positions
    Hello yall. I need to weld a Cast iron steel seat bracket onto a mild steel motorcycle frame. What is the best process to weld this? Can it be welded GTAW process? What filler rod will be the most optimal? I talked with a old timer welder he suggested I weld a bead with a stainless rod not sure what grade onto the cast part. Then weld ontop of the stainless ontop the mild steel does this sound like a goood Idea? I am thinking i should SMAW weld it but my uncle wants done in GTAW. Some advice would be great.
    - Hello , I am Roy-You have to know if the bracket is CAST IRON , OR cast steel, it cannot be both . it is probably cast steel . it is easy to weld . if you "stick" weld it ,use a low hydrogen ELECTRODE, if you heli-arc it - just use common 70s6 (steel) rod, or it can be welded w/a short-arc (mig) .It might be very good to preheat the cast part, to maybe 175 degrees -to prevent cracking. If it is cast iron, well, that's more expensive . it will require a special process . Do not try to weld mild steel over stainless , it don't work . you can, however, weld stainless over steel. Good luck -Roy

I've used nickle 99 before but make sure to preheat the cast first
    Bapnbird