Harbor Freight 80A Inverter (110v) stick/tig conversion (complete)
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Harbor Freight 80A Inverter (110v) stick/tig conversion (complete)

Hey all, I'm selling my scratch start TIG welder. I just picked up a used Maxstar, so this little guy will be taking up space.

I'm not going to talk about what it can and cannot do. Suffice to say it's in great shape, runs like a champ, and is currently converted to scratch start TIG.

Here's a video of welderShane using an identical setup that he built before me. (He helped me greatly through the process. THANKS SHANE!)

I'm selling:

80A Harbor Freight DC Inverter 110v stick welder
    ground/workpiece clamp (DINSE connector)
    harbor freight stinger (if you want to do a lot of stick welding, upgrade this!)
    Nu-tech WP-9V style torch (two piece cable) with DINSE connector added
    Accessory kit (#4, #5, #6 cup, 0.040", 1/16" collets, long backcap)
    Argon flowmeter / regulator

I'll throw a few pieces of tungsten, a couple pieces of filler rod, and a bit of scrap if you are just getting started and are itching to lay some beads.

$225 shipped for the entire setup. All you need is a bottle

The accessory kit shows more collets than are included. See above for what is included.
    The DINSE connector is installed on the torch lead at present.
    Last edited by Taiden; 11-03-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Re: Harbor Freight 80A Inverter (110v) stick/tig conversion (complete)

$75 shipped?

For what?

I think he is saying your pricing is optimistic
    miller syncrowave 250
    hobart handler 140
    home made 400 amp engine driven in progress...

I don't mind if people want to suggest another price, if they are interested in buying. $75 is a joke though.

I should add that this includes this flowmeter (several have told me they think it's the same as the HTP flowmeter)

Quote Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
    I'm not going to talk about what it can and cannot do.
    Uh, this is pretty much all I really care about. The price seems pretty fair.

What kind of limitations does this machine have? How thick/thin of metal will it weld etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric N View Post
    Uh, this is pretty much all I really care about. The price seems pretty fair.

What kind of limitations does this machine have? How thick/thin of metal will it weld etc.
    Sure, sorry about that. I would say that 1/16" - 1/8" steel is right in this welders sweet spot.
    It is scratch start only, and it doesn't have a foot pedal. Set and go.
    You could rig up a foot pedal, that was my plan, but since I upgraded I never got around to it.
    You turn on gas at the torch.

I have found that at lower amperages (below 50a or so), the torch can (randomly) go into a "low amp" mode where it doesn't create a puddle at all. At 65+ I don't run into that problem.

I hope this helps answer that question.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Not to piss anyone off. $225 used is pretty high for that machine. Here is a link to mine. I dont have but $175 in it new with 2 year warranty and 20% Cupon.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=45602

So you paid $53 for a welder added in a $50 flow meter and now you want double what you paid for it?

plus a torch, plus the torch consumables + tungstens, +dinse connectors

just because he got a super deal on something does not lessen the value for resale.. I just got a HF torch for $3.27 but I would not turn around and sell it unless someone offered in the $30 range...

I do think the price is a bit optimistic since the 80 amp units go on sale at 119 regularily, so you can get them 100 new out the door.. making his prices nearly same as new, but then, his equipment has only a week of light practice use on it. He took the effort to assemble all the pieces, test it out, post pictures of the results etc. so the buyer will save a bit of time, effort, and thought so that is worth something too.
    Last edited by jdchmiel; 11-05-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: good deal
    miller syncrowave 250
    hobart handler 140
    home made 400 amp engine driven in progress...

I'm somewhat shocked that the price has everyone concerned. If you were to assemble my exact setup new, you would spend about $275. It has about a week of light practice on it, and it comes with everything minus a bottle.

Also, all prices are negotiable. If you are interested in the setup, and want to barter a lower price, there's nothing wrong with that. If you are not interested in the setup, I appreciate you looking out for other members on the board, but I don't think I'm too far off base considering I build 'barter room' into all my prices.
    Last edited by Taiden; 11-05-2010 at 09:39 AM.

$100 and I will pick up.

Your words.The HF tig setup did it's job. It got me laying TIG beads, and it made me want more. If I sell the entire setup for $100 I will have gotten more than $100 worth of opportunity out of it. I am very grateful for the HF welder. I highly suggest it to anyone who is on the fence about having a little stick welder.

Dude, I applaud you for your efforts in creating your welder. You should by no means be discouraged by the opinions of others, rather be proud of what you mad that HF machine into. That being said, asking a price such as you are on this site may not be the most lucrative idea. I suggest posting a (FREE) ad on craigslist. Here, you have to contend with competing sales and the opinions of people who can afford a $2K tig machine. On CL, well, I'm willing to wager there aren't a lot of TIG welders gathering ddust in your neck of the woods. I just sold my used 85a MIG via CL for $200, twice what I paid. I'm sorry to suggest it, but feast upon the ignorance and naivety of others. You need to eat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Livelli View Post
    I just sold my used 85a MIG via CL for $200, twice what I paid. I'm sorry to suggest it, but feast upon the ignorance and naivety of others. You need to eat too.
    Wasn't it P.T. Barnum who said "There's a sucker born every minute"? Another good example of why guys should do a bit of research before jumping on the "great deal" on CL.

Taiden you have to understand, most people here know how cheap you can get things from HF if you grab a coupon and wait till a sale. Add to that the fact that most feel that even "like new" items usually end up selling for no more than 75% of the original cost at best. Any more, and why not just buy new and not have to worry about any issues the 1st guy might have not mentioned. Lightly used will get you 50-75% of new, depending on condition and demand. Heavily used or machines that are known to have a history of mecanical issues, or for which parts are unavailable, usually sell for pennies on the dollar. The new owner accepts the fact that they may be buying a machine that may be a big paperweight at some time in the future.

Compare your asking price to what you can pay for a new Thermal arc 95S ($419). You're asking about what a good condition TA95S would probably bring. Your little machine isn't anywhere near the quality of a machine with more amps thats designed to do stick and tig.

This is why guys are often steered away from cheap HF units as "starter" machines. There's generally no resale market for them (unless you find someone with no clue). Too many figure they'll get all their money out of one used at resale, when even with a name brand you'll be lucky to get 60-70% back at best. Your best bet might be to use the 30day waranty return policy (if you still have time) and get your money back and just sell the torch set. The torch would have more interest for someone with an AC /DC tombstone with more power.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Thanks everyone for the concern, but it looks like the welder is sold as of today.

Best wishes all!

Glad to hear that. Now let's see some projects from that Maxstar
    In the words of the great philosopher Quagmire.Gigedy Gigedy Gigedy Gigidey Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by wskynajar View Post
    Glad to hear that. Now let's see some projects from that Maxstar
    yes boss

This item is now sold. Thanks all!

Can we be noisy? What did you get for it? If I am being too noisy let me know.

Dunno if you guys can but on some pricey stuff the chick at the checkout will look up past sales and let me get it at the sale price even though its past... Like a raincheck or something she called it one time....